Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18RGU, 2TG questions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18RGU, 2TG questions

Hi everyone!
    I would really need some help.
    The thing is I have a 1970 Corona mark 2 with a 8R engine (single carb) and 4 speed manual.
    I'd like a bit more power and a great sounding period correct engine for it = 18RG of course 😃
    A couple of weeks ago I bought an early 2TG just because I found one for cheap nearby. All these "G" engines are very rare here in sweden so I thought I could make some money of it. This engine will need a couple of hundred euros to be as new again but I thought it was worth the 200 euros I paid for it even tho I have no car to put it in.

Now I was contacted by a man a couple of hours away from me who whould like to trade my 2TG as it is + 650euros (!) for his 18RGU. I have read that the 18RGU isnt really the greatest of the RG's and that the carbs are not rebuildable? His engine looks just as bad as mine 2TG and has been in storage in a shed for a long time.
    So, a couple of questions:
    *Is it true the RGU works with unleaded fuel?
    *Whould it be better for me to switch the carbs so I keep my 2TG-carbs?
    *Whould the RGU fit nicely in the corona without too much modification to it? How about fuel pump and stuff like that, do I need to change something?
    *Anything else that I should move over from the 2TG to the 18RGU to make it better?

I do not want to do something that cant be undone again if I want the car original again.

Thanks in advance :-)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 18RGU, 2TG questions

You should see if that 18RG is available to get a compression test to see what the actual numbers are.

You own the perfect solution for using that 18RG, you own a 8-RB or 8-RC engine which has smaller bores and if you have undamaged pistons from that 18R-GU, with a new set of standard rings and a Bore up of the 8-RB to the standard size. You can keep the original engine block in your car with the exchange and upgrade to the 18-RGU specification.

Last edited by 73GTV; 13-02-2017 at 07:29 AM.

oppppppppps!
    Last edited by 73GTV; 13-02-2017 at 07:39 AM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by 73GTV View Post
    You should see if that 18RG is available to get a compression test to see what the actual numbers are.

You own the perfect solution for using that 18RG, you own a 8-RB or 8-RC engine which has smaller bores and if you have undamaged pistons from that 18R-GU, with a new set of standard rings and a Bore up of the 8-RB to the standard size. You can keep the original engine block in your car with the exchange and upgrade to the 18-RGU specification.

It is said to be a running engine when pulled out of the car. But the same guy also said it has 192hp, which is total bullshit after seeing some figures out of these engines on this forum. The engine looks all original with original header etc. So I guess that guy dont know anything really.

I would not want to do something to the original engine really, I hope the block are fine in the RGU. Or are there any other point of doing what you just wrote?

Your engine, your choice, your money. The Blue engine was an example of the 8-RG upgrade. Been there done that. The pages are any example of the standard upgrade to the 18R-GU if you can find the parts and perform the upgrade. Just a visual of what is and was available for a performance upgrade. Sourcing parts, and issue, Good Luck.

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/s...&ei=UTF-8&rs=2
    Last edited by 73GTV; 13-02-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Thank you for your response.
    I dont see how It would be cheaper to buy the 18RGU, take it apart completely, pull my existing 8r, take it apart completely, bore the block, put the RGU pistons in it and then put it all back together VS. Buy the 18RGU and just swap out the 8R. IF the 18RGU is healthy of course, otherwise your suggestion is a great sollution.

Sorry, I forget that I do this for fun, this is my hobby, this makes me smile because to me, this is no effort after working on these things all day.

Sorry, I forget that I do this for fun, this is my hobby, this makes me smile because to me, this is no effort after working on these things all day.

Haha, I see. Any plans on visiting sweden any time soon? ;-D
    Jokes aside, that would be a huge project for me, since I've never even taken a engine apart before. I'll just hope for the best regarding the 18RGU, hoping for a easy swap. But good to know it is do-able.

I was in Finland July 2015, Buy a compressor and I'll stop in for a service call.

parts manuals
    http://www.retrojdm.com/Files/Toyota...0(1975.10).pdf
    http://www.1stgencelica.com/images/F..._ra23_ra28.pdf

Repair manual:
    http://members.iinet.com.au/~stepho/manuals/Toyota/

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

The 1st gen mark II came out in some markets with the 18RG, if you can find the correct engine cross member the conversion should be easy. Is the transmission a W40? I'm not 100% sure but I believe this will bolt up to an 18RG.

Yes, the carbs can be rebuilt, the kits are still available online.

You can still get new mechanical fuel pumps for the 18RG, it wont be an issue.

Look forward to seeing the finished product in a Corona!

Quote Originally Posted by egamirrorim View Post
    The 1st gen mark II came out in some markets with the 18RG, if you can find the correct engine cross member the conversion should be easy. Is the transmission a W40? I'm not 100% sure but I believe this will bolt up to an 18RG.

Quote Originally Posted by egamirrorim View Post

Yeah, the GSS, i wish I had one :-)
    I do not think I need to use another cross member, looks like the engine has the oil pan with the rear hump.

Yes, the w40 should match, but I'll use a w50 I already got. Anyone know what clutch to use?

Im looking forward to that too :-D

- - - Updated - - -

I was in Finland July 2015, Buy a compressor and I'll stop in for a service call.

parts manuals
    http://www.retrojdm.com/Files/Toyota...0(1975.10).pdf
    http://www.1stgencelica.com/images/F..._ra23_ra28.pdf

Repair manual:
    http://members.iinet.com.au/~stepho/manuals/Toyota/
    Haha, thanks for the links!

Why not stick with the 2T-G Engine?
    It's a much better engine imho.
    Bored out, stroked (3T crank), high lift cams, high volume oil pump, ported and polished with a nice set of headers and your good to go...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by badboyboogie View Post
    Why not stick with the 2T-G Engine?
    It's a much better engine imho.
    Bored out, stroked (3T crank), high lift cams, high volume oil pump, ported and polished with a nice set of headers and your good to go...;-)
    No, T-serie does not fit in my corona. There is no "rear hump sump" for t-series. The RG should be a straight fit. Thats why :-)