Thread: Need Australian Advice

Forum Member

Default Need Australian Advice

Hey guys, it looks like I'll be moving to Australia for school from the states sometime in the next 6 months, and I'll be trying to pick up a Mk 2 supra down there to be my final project car, and since they only have the 5me in them I was planning to swap in a 2jzgte. Now I know your laws on that are a bit different than the ones over here in car hating California, but even after reading up I'm still not 100% sure what I can and cant do mod wise. My end goal is a 400-500 bhp (300-375 KW @ wheels) build on E85, a mild full internal rebuild, maybe mild cams, and a twin scroll turbo with a haltech computer running it. Now I've rebuilt my 6m so i have the mechanical part on that end down, and ive got Cap'n 2jz's post to help with the install, but I know nothing about turbos or the computer systems, so if anyone can point me to any good info on that as well i'd really appreciate it. First and foremost though I want to make sure i'm actually legal before i build the thing and cant pass rego.

Thanks guys,

Curtis

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Default Re: Need Australian Advice

what state are you moving too.. laws are different in each state
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Take a look at the NSW requirements (since it's the only one I'm familiar with). Most states will be broadly similar (there is a nationally based standard), but you still need to check. Talk to a licensed certifier before you start making changes.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf

In short, looks like you would be legally able to do this, but it all comes down to finding an engineer/licensed certifier who is willing to sign off.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Would be legal in most states. Since you're in California you would be aware of most of the emissions (or smog as you guys call it) issues you need. Mostly it'll just be a cat convertor in the exhaust and comply with noise testing. If you use a standard ECU from a Mk4 Supra you wouldn't need to do an emissions test because the car has been complied and sold here on the market, however if you use an aftermarket computer that would require an emissions test. Depending on the state will depend on how easy/hard it is to get one of those done. In NSW you can get them done at a testing station for free, whereas Victoria it's a few grand which is just ludicrous.

For turbo stuff it's really down to how much reading and research you do! I ended up getting a few books on turbochargers and tuning to help me select the right size turbo for one of my past builds (and I still went too big :S).
    RA23 Celica - 18RG, 40mm Webers, 92mm Arias pistons, 11.1:1 C/R, 15x7 SSRs.
    910 Bluebird - FJ20ET, IRS 4.4 LSD, 251kW on E85
    910 Bluebird - RB25 Track Hack

Forum Member

The school I'm going to is in Launceston, TAS, but after graduation I'd be free to chose basically any major port city, so there's a little flexibility there, I have no problem doing all the cat and tuning work to pass emmisions, but in california we have this C.A.R.B law, which essentially states that anything before the intake ports or from the exhaust ports to the cat has to have special certification from the state (2-3x cost) to be legally mounted, and for an older generation car, or a swap like this things like manifold, downpipe, and intake system would be impossible to find, is there anything like that out there, or is it essentially a "if its safe, and the computer says you don't pollute you're good" kind of system?

Forum Member

As for the turbo stuff, I was looking at twin scroll's and found this quick spool valve idea that forces all exhaust into one scroll for low rpm and opens up the other one at high rpm. it doesnt seem to do much for i4's but i6's seem to get something -- anyway that's for another thread

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

Tasmania is notorious for drop bears - budget for an anti drop bear rig for the roof and front of your Supra.

Forum Member

way ahead of you, they sell a kit in Wyoming for their carnivorous Jackalope problem, with a little beef up should work great for drop bears too

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

lol I haven't heard Jackalope in years!

Good luck with the build, it will be a sweet combo.