Thread: hilux 3uz swap power steering box fouling pump need some ideas/help

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default hilux 3uz swap power steering box fouling pump need some ideas/help

Topic title says it all. Im 80% of the way through putting a 3uz-fe from japanese celsior into a 96 solid axle 4x4 hilux. I used some engine mounts off the shelf from a guy who does 1uz conversions all the time and the placement is spot on however in my situation the powersteering box hose input is fouling on the powersteering pumps outlet. As it sits now is as far forward it can go before major things need to be changed like modifying draftshafts, crossmembers, hoses etc. Ideally id like to move the engine back another 10mm there is one more hole in the engine mount adapter I can use to to sit the motor back another 10 mm but then the hoses will be clashing even more. Ive tried shaving the powersteering box mount to lower it out of the way but its still not enough and If i do too much it may become too weak.

Im looking for quickest easiest fix so I can drive it sooner, I may look at doing a highsteer/crossover steering setup later down the track, just need it running first as I have a baby on the way and the car ive been putting around just dropped a cylinder. I need to keep it legal for australia so nothing too dodgy but im after ideas, Ive thought maybe rotating the powersteering pump and the way it mounts, could move the box forward but would need to modify the chassis mount, raise motor by shimming the mounts but i like its current height, maybe some ultra low profile fitings if thats a thing or if possible rotate the shaft input for the powersteering box and also rotate the inlet and outlet pipes.
    Please any ideas no matter how crazy Im just at a mindblock here

Default Re: hilux 3uz swap power steering box fouling pump need some ideas/help

I would try to fit a bango bolt on the pump and then attach your stock swivel fitting. Dave W

Default Re: hilux 3uz swap power steering box fouling pump need some ideas/help

right so the setup at the moment, the pump has a banjo bolt directed down thats the black part of the fitting and the box has a jic adapter into a 135 degree swivel fitting. The banjo bolt is hardline to the idle up valve directed underneath the pump hence why you can see it sorry.