Thread: Corolla sportivo knocking HELP!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Corolla sportivo knocking HELP!!

I pulled in to do some shopping today and after i got back my car started making a loud knocking sound , It gets quieter when you put it in neutral/rolling but it's still there. It knocks with the speed of the car so the faster you go the faster it sounds.

1. It still makes the noise even when i cut the engine and its just coasting. Wouldn't this mean it would be on the wheels side of things as the engine is off and in neutral ?

2. I can't hear it when idling/revving only once its moving.

I called a local mechanic and he seemed 100% certain it would be the clutch. He explained to me how it can still make the noise even when its just rolling but i'm still confused as to why.

Can any of you boys explain this to me so i can understand before i go further?\

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Corolla sportivo knocking HELP!!

In regard to point 1. Is the clutch in when in neutral with engine off? If clutch,pedal, is out while coasting it shouldn't be clutch.
    Does it knock when turning steering wheel when driving?
    Point 2 indicates more drive line after clutch symptoms to me, not being with car to listen to.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

i would be looking for a dead wheel bearing first...
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    i would be looking for a dead wheel bearing first...
    With teh weehls off the ground it clunk every third or so revolution of the wheels. I had a mechanic come look and he was certain it was the cv shaft/

I spotted this gearbox mount which i thought was the problem but he seems to think it wasn't causing the knocking

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Kramersteen, the questions I asked earlier were to determine if CV joint is possibly worn "Does it knock when turning steering wheel when driving?" The usual first sign of worn CV is when turning steering wheel at slow speed, it will make a clunk, clunk noise at regular intervals. Less noise when wheels are straight.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyTA22 View Post
    Kramersteen, the questions I asked earlier were to determine if CV joint is possibly worn "Does it knock when turning steering wheel when driving?" The usual first sign of worn CV is when turning steering wheel at slow speed, it will make a clunk, clunk noise at regular intervals. Less noise when wheels are straight.
    It was the same no matter what. It got a lot quieter when i was rolling in neutral compared to when in gear.

I let the mechanic take the car. He said after driving it he said he was certain it was a cv. Anyway we will see what comes of this $$ wise. If i had more time i could have nutted it out myself but with kids and all that it's just not an option.

Is that engine mount right? Shouldn't that rubber thing be sitting underneath the bracket? He didn't seem concerned about it in the slightest.

Just when i really started loving the car the gearbox is fucked. Now i can't work out if i should sell ti after i get it fixed.

Fuck ass fuck