Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Engine Rebuild!!!!!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Exclamation Full Engine Rebuild!!!!!!

How much would it cost to get a 3sgte rebuilt in perth???

And whats a good company that has a lot of rep???

I think my engine is over heating because of the head bein cracked or somethin cos i have all new gear for cooling system
    i.e:
    thermostat
    water pump
    recond radiator

My thoughts would be that it may be the head... So yeh
    1990 Toyota Celica GT4
    POD Filter, 3" Dump Pimp, 3" Exhaust System with Cat, FMIC, Turbosmart In-car Dual Boost Controller 9psi running, 15psi switch, looking at more to come

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

Default Re: Full Engine Rebuild!!!!!!

It's probably a BHG.
    If you've got the time and friends to help you'd be better off disassembling the engine yourself and just contracting out the machine work... you'll save much $$$ doing it that way.
    Disassembling an engine is pretty easy... just label everything you rip off to make assembly easier.

You might also find that a lowish km jap engine is a better option... especially if you have reason to believe yours has a cracked head. (Gen2's are cheap and a frontcut will get you started on your 185 spare parts stockpile!)

toobs well to be honourst i found a front half cut in a wreckers and they wont 1200 for the engine!!!

I gather thats cheap yeh???

So your sayin it better to replace the hole engine instead of rebuilding the other??? Im thinking its the head cos its still over heating and ive changed everything possible....

Neways let me no man cheers
    1990 Toyota Celica GT4
    POD Filter, 3" Dump Pimp, 3" Exhaust System with Cat, FMIC, Turbosmart In-car Dual Boost Controller 9psi running, 15psi switch, looking at more to come

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic STR8 2.8's Avatar

have you changed the head gasket?

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

where abouts are you at??

i'm currently really bored.. exams are over and i'm unemployed.. and if you have a torque wrench we could fix up the head..

you wouldn't need a new engine if u've just BHG... unless it's blue smoke as well or low / uneven compression between cylinders..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

There is the possibility like mine that the head is warped beyond what can be remedied with a minor skim. Take that into account when you decide whether to just fix it or get an import engine.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

has no Toyota anymore :( Conversion King tooch's Avatar

If you are going to the trouble of putting in a 'low km import motor', it would be very wise to give it a refresher as well. I have seen these motors with so much gunk in the cooling system on a '70,000km motor', that I wouldnt put it near my car without giving it a good clean out and probably do the head gasket while its out.

Disassemble yours first, get the head checked for cracks/warping, if all is good then just get some ARP head studs and a metal HG, and be done with it. With the import motors, they sound good for what you get and all, but you really don't know the real condition of them.

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

i still dont understand how a cracked head can cause overheating

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

A crack between the ports of two different cylinders can cause overheating... or a crack between one of the ports and a water jacket.

ST185 cuts usually go pretty cheap... <$2k cuts are not uncommon.
    Check "teh list" for front cut dealers:
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=643

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

A crack between the ports of two different cylinders can cause overheating... or a crack between one of the ports and a water jacket.
    a crack between two cylinders can caus crossfiring.. but thats hella noticable, and any water into combustion chamber causes funny issues - rough running on startup, losing an assload of coolant or the cooling system pushing fluid out of the overflow (and usually not recovering it)

EVO's Are the Dark Side. Grease Monkey ae86trueno's Avatar

We had a stuffed block on our gt4 about a year ago, corroded the block enough to leak to the water jacket, looked at the rebuild option , but picked up a low K front cut from a Very reputable shop for $2000 , engine's still going strong, and sold all the bits from the crap engine and made the money back and then some.

But if you are going to mod your engine then i recomend a rebuild.

Ben.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

While i was looking around for engine tranceplants I was quoted $2,500 for a recon
    18R long motor. if I wanted new starter, w/pump alternator etc quote was $3,500 :0

Vios-GT give me a call on monday and ill let you no my number is 0405282223....
    I live on morley drive east in morley near bassadean......

Let me no man cheers
    Let me no on here but yeh call me on monday for sure.
    1990 Toyota Celica GT4

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

done.. u have PM
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Stripping and rebuilding isn't that hard really, but it does sound like BHG really. It'll take about a day or so to replace, and I guess the HG is about $50-$80. That's the first place I'd be looking. If you've got the budget, and you want to make power with it, now's the time for a proper rebuild though. Forgies, ARP bolts, new seals, new bearings etc etc. I can recommend Bob Campbells performance engines in Malaga (not far from morley), but you'll save 1k+ by pulling the engine out and stripping it down yourself, even if you get them to re-assemble it with all the shiny new parts, so you know everything's right. I'd budget 500-800 for all the machine and reassembly, if you provide the parts.

RM.