Thread: Any downsides to running TWO chargecoolers inline?

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Any downsides to running TWO chargecoolers inline?

Soooooo... I relocated my battery to the boot and dropped in a bigass CC. Theres a 2.5inch dia boost pipe running from it to the TB. Scored a second barrel CC cheap today thinking... Hey why not just use that instead of the solid pipework? No bends... Not much extra restriction... Hoses are the same size... Running 2 inline pumps and 2 CC rads anyways... Pointless or will drop intake temps even more? Thoughts? Has antone out there ever ran 2 CCs in series? Any tips or thoughts would really be appreciated!!! Thanks. Chris...

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Any downsides to running TWO chargecoolers inline?

I've seen it done before. The answer to your question is it depends on your setup and use, but I'd generally suggest it's not worth it.

The two I remember were an Audi 5cylinder shoehorned into a Golf. It ran huge boost (and therefore turbo outlet temps) and space was tight so he ran two air to air intercoolers jammed in wherever they would fit. The other was a drag setup that can a big air to air cooler followed by an ice box so the charge temp could be dropped below ambient.

Is your current cooler unable to keep up? What inlet temps are you seeing? What do you use the car for?
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

it depends on how effective your current cooler is. as Hen said, the main reason people do it is because they have a setup which produces monster temps which one intercooler can't cope with (and they dont have the space for a bigger single core). If your first intercooler is already getting temps back down close to ambient then you are just adding pressure drop and weight for nothing.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Great replies! Thankyou! Its a weekend street car only running 300-350bhp (is 1100kg). Turbos a GT28RS and I read somewhere that smallee turbos run hotter and run out of puff sooner so was thinking the other charge cooler (straight barrel shaped) could just replace the boost pipe.to the TB and condense the charge even.more! Cooler temps should equal less chance of det and more power at the same boost? Im running twin rads and pumps plus waterwetter so apart from a tiny restriction why not! The first coolers rated at 700bhp the second came off a lotus elise running 420. Complete overkill I know. Should onlt add an extra 5kg but im wondering just HOW LOW I can get down iats on my iat gauge ��. Pipeworks short nut theres one 90 nend im trying to eliminate. Cant work out how to post pics on here. Uploaders not working using my phone for somr reason. Got a fewdays off work .now so gonna try and get the car finished (not started her yet after a fresh rebuild). Really appreciate your advice and inputs. Tjeres SOOOOOOOOO much knowledge .on here with awesome like minded peeps. Will try and get some pics on. Mt profile pic shows the engine bay as it is. Thinking where the gold reflective covered boost pipe is is where I might drop the 2nd barrel charge cooler and just plumb it in. How much pressure drop do u think ot might pose? Noticeable on a nall nearing RS? Thanks again for the replys. Chris. Ps im gonna ne running all this during nreak in on the stock rev 3 st205 ecu till I can get.a link g4 in a few months. Anybody ran a gt28rs on the std ecu? Ve has neen heavily increased with my cams intake (twin filter) and 3 inch decat exh. Planning on running 3.7 bar fuel pressure (100 oct) to take the 550s into the 600 range. Also running 5 gph water/meth injection. Should rock from evertthin ive read as a street set up ��

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

just keep in mind that unless you run an icebox or something you can only cool the intake temps down to near ambient, so if your primary intercooler is already doing that then the second intercooler is not going to make any difference.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I'd love to post some insightful advice, but my head hurts trying to read and decipher your post. If you use some punctuation, paragraphs and have a logical flow to your questions I'm sure people would find it much easier to give you useful answers.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Sorry the screen on my phones cracked to hell and mis spells stuff. 72 hr nightshifts dont help my brain either lol. Thanks for all your replies tho. I gather now im not gonna be able to cool the charge more runnin 2 CCs unless I use ice so I'll prop not bother after what you guys have said.