Thread: VSS & Mechanical Speedo

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question VSS & Mechanical Speedo

Hi

I'm about to fit a Toyota 3UZ V8 motor & A650E 5-speed auto trans into an older model ute.

The VSS (vehice speed sensor) on the auto box is apparently a 2-wire inductive sensor, and plumbs into the main ECU harness, and as far as I'm aware of, can not be eliminated, as it is needed for the ECU and TCU's calculations.

It is a 2wd ute, and there is no other location for a mechanical speedo pickup, for instance a transfer case.

I would like to retain the original gauge cluster, but how does one get the mechanical/cable-operated speedometer working, and calibrated?

Are there other gearbox tailhousings available, with locations for both types of speedo drives?

Regards

Default Re: VSS & Mechanical Speedo

Where and how was it connected in original box?
    I am just doing a ls swap and fortunately using connecting in tx case. I did have to install a reluctor ring for the vss to use for the pcm. So I am wondering if the new case could be modded somehow.
    Wishful thinking I know

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJones View Post
    Are there other gearbox tailhousings available, with locations for both types of speedo drives?

Regards
    Not to my (admittedly limited) knowledge...

There are electrical to mechanical converters available, but they are quite expensive!

Here are some options... Note I've never used any of these personally...

Dakota Digital ECD-100

Cablex

Another option could be to look at trying to replicate your current speedos internals with those from an electronic speedo? But in this case you'll also need to convert from the 2 wire signal to a 3 wire signal, as I'm not aware of any dash speedos that take a 2 wire signal!

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Thanks for the replies thus far guys.

I'm hoping to find a solution other than the Abbott or Dakota Digital cable drivers, as you mention they are quite expensive.
    But then they are a good option compared to what even just one good-quality loose electronic speedometer gauge costs, like from Stack, Speedhut or VDO.
    I am tempted to hack the stock gauge cluster, and fit electronic internals, since used stock gauge clusters, are available much cheaper.
    Or even just fit a complete electronic cluster/dash similar in size and looks to the original, but as you mention, kind of difficult to determine which popular vehicles used a 2-wire sensor.
    Anyone perhaps know which vehicles came equipped with an A650E transmission? What auto gearbox was used in Holden Rodeo's?
    Or which other model Aisin transmissions is similar enough to make use of the same speed sensor?
    Or perhaps first I should determine, does all vehicles equipped with a 2-wire VSS, run the speedo from the ECU, and not actually from the sensor?

I've also thought about attempting to built a electronic cable driver using Arduino, but that would take a lot of trail and error.

Perhaps I should just strip the extension-housing and see if a speedo drive gear can't be fitted somewhere on the output shaft, machine some sort of adapter for the cable gear, and weld it on.

I've happened across your Wiki before Wilbo, great site by the way.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I don't personally know of any Toyota speedo drives that take in a 2 wire signal, but then again I can only think of JZS161 and JZS171 which use Mutlitplex... I'd suspect that the newer stuff uses CAN?

It's likely that you'll want / need some adjustment at any rate to make the speedo accurate given your doing an engine conversions (changed diff ratio & tyres likely)...

So perhaps if you are looking for a project you could use an Arduino to take in the 2 wire signal and then output the corrected 3 wire signal to the dash. That way you can look for more common 3 wire dash components? Otherwise you can get 2 wire to 3 wire adjustment units also (Dakota Digital SGI-5, which I've never used...)...

Thanks for the kind words on the Wiki

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Please excuse my lack of ECU/vehicle electronics knowledge, but is there pinouts on the ECU that is used as a pick-up for the standard electronic speedometer?

On an 89661-50590 ECU, which pinouts would it be, and what type of signal would be send from the ECU to the dash?

Alternatively, can a 3-wire speed sensor be run of a ABS wheel rotor or a brake rotor, to produce a signal for the dash?