Thread: 4A-FE to 4A-C for testing head'n'bottom end/screwing off the ecu.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4A-FE to 4A-C for testing head'n'bottom end/screwing off the ecu.

Hello again, simple question, can I bolt a 4A-C intake to a FE head? or do I have to stick with the plenum + injectors + ecu + etc?

I ask this because I have a scrapyard AE92 with a bog standard 4A-FE and MT, but it just wont fire over. I believe the pump is shot, tank full of rust. Also the key barrel destroyed (to break the steering lock) so starting it with the right wires I have no idea if I'm doing it right/ missing wire for ecu or whatever.

I wanted to use start ya bastard, but friend said bad idea/didn't wanna get flamed/didnt want to get zapped..

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Default Re: 4A-FE to 4A-C for testing head'n'bottom end/screwing off the ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by AJRGale View Post
    Hello again, simple question, can I bolt a 4A-C intake to a FE head? or do I have to stick with the plenum + injectors + ecu + etc?

I ask this because I have a scrapyard AE92 with a bog standard 4A-FE and MT, but it just wont fire over. I believe the pump is shot, tank full of rust. Also the key barrel destroyed (to break the steering lock) so starting it with the right wires I have no idea if I'm doing it right/ missing wire for ecu or whatever.

I wanted to use start ya bastard, but friend said bad idea/didn't wanna get flamed/didnt want to get zapped..
    Port spacing is completely different on a 4AC compared to a 4AFE, because the 4AC is a non-crossflow engine and has both intake and exhaust on the same side of the head

4AC intake gasket on the right

4AFE gasket
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Default Re: 4A-FE to 4A-FC for testing head'n'bottom end/screwing off the ecu.

I was meant to say 4A-FC not 4A-C.. this is what happens when you don't proofread your crap.

I do have a 4A-C, with another sitting as a garden ornament, and a 2A-LC, and then the 4A-FE that I wanna delete the E and add a C
    Last edited by AJRGale; 19-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Default Re: 4A-FE to 4A-FC for testing head'n'bottom end/screwing off the ecu.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic...-2nd-gen-4afe/ I think this answers my question. no, you cannot really just swap manifolds. unless i have a 1st gen, and get a 1st gen carby manifold.. with that exhaust line in.

none the less..

Chang of subject, anyone got a wire out for the key barrel? i think i have to splice wires together to get it firing..

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Port spacing and bolt pattern looks the same, there's just that extra hole in the head that we don't know what it does. That and the first-gen 4AFEs have the injectors in the head so you'd need to leave them in to prevent massive vacuum leaks.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Start ya bastard is okay to use. Will tell you if everything else is okay.

yeah, the next time I try and run it, I'll have to get a key/ignition wiring diagram. Need to workout what 5 wires I can cross to get it to kick over

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Should only need power to 'ign on' then temp power to starter.