Thread: Carb to EFI fuel tank conversion. RA23

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Carb to EFI fuel tank conversion. RA23

Every so often I come back around to the issue of the fuel tank in my 23.

Currently the tank is the stock 23 unit, the engine is fed by a generic high pressure pump mounted under the car. There is no low pressure lift or a surge tank.

For the most part this is fine except for some starvation on hard right cornering and around 1/3 of a tank or less of fuel.

I'd been considering getting a spare tank modded with baffles and an internal surge tank (like a lot of people do) and while I was nutting out some options I stumbled across the holley hydromat.

It pretty much looks like I could just drop a barbed NPT fitting and some submersible hose to hook it up to the standard RA23 pickup and voila, much more use from the bottom half of my fuel tank without cutting/welding resealing and at least partial new lines for surge tank etc.

Does anyone know of someone who has used it? All the video etc of it online looks really good, but there's not a lot by people not clearly associated with the business in some way.

If not, I'll probably take one for the team and give it a shot.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Pagie84a's Avatar

Default Re: Carb to EFI fuel tank conversion. RA23

Sure looks interesting, if it works it would save a lotta pain for us poor buggers with ra28s

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Certainly looks like an interesting product!
    I'd be keen to give it a go, but to be honest i havent found a fuel starvation issue yet in my RA23 (Beams 3sge).

My fuel setup consists of a Pierburg external in-line EFI pump (from a number of Mercedes).... its a slightly unique pump in that is has an integral swirl pot of sorts. So far works great.
    Below is a link to the pump on ebay, and a diagram of how the pump works, and an in-situ pic of the pump in a mercedes as per factory setup.
    In the Mercs, they have the fuel filter immediately after the pump.... as you can see, and the pump is just gravity fed from the tank.

It's fairly quiet too.

The hardest part to deal with is the 5/8" feed line. You have to step up the 5/16" pickup from the tank to a 5/8" line, to then feed the pump.
    I just have it mounted in the boot, below the tank for gravity feeds.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pierburg-...-/171342878667

...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

that is very cool.

another option for those looking for an aftermarket setup is the aeromotive phantom fuel pump system
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Yeah its a neat little pump - was recommended to me by Andrew Chambers, back when he was working for Premier Auto Trade.

The only downside like i said, is the 5/8" (15.8mm) feed line.
    To achieve that, i've clamped a 5/16" EFI rubber line onto the original tank pickup (5/16", 8mm), which then goes to a 5/16"-5/8" barbed adaptor and a 5/8" EFI rubber fuel line to the pump..... and the pump is about 400mm away from the tank, so it then has the high pressure output of the pump going via a rubber line back to the metal line on the car...

.... so there is a fair bit of rubber hose, and hence a wee bit of fuel smell.

EDIT - i found a pic of the setup. In this pic i havent yet attached the feed line to the fuel tank (is the one dangling down)

...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Well that also looks interesting. I'd have given that a crack but the appeal of the hydramat also lies in not modifying anything that is already set up, which really does work just fine until the tank level drops to below 1/3.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a hydramat, but looks like a few weeks before it arrives. Time to POR 15 the spare tank in preparation.