Thread: NSW Engineering+Emission Certification: 4AG Turbo

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default NSW Engineering+Emission Certification: 4AG Turbo

Hi . . .

Can anyone give me some recent / current feedback in regards to what Certification + Emissions costs they've incurred in relation to 4A Turbo installs ?

Reason I'm asking is that I've just been quoted $2000 - $2500 to Certify & Emission a Turbo install on my N/A 16V 4AG.

I bought a BT 20V a while ago; its been sitting in the corner of my garage for the last 3 months. Was going to do a 7A 20V then put it on hold as I'm thinking of using it in another another chassis. . .

I had instead decided on a (relatively) low budget / 8-10 psi Boost Td04 Turbo build on my 16V as-is; as I figured it was the cheapest & easiest way of getting another 60-70HP to the wheels; and from a mechanical perspective it certainly has merit. .

The problem is the cost of Certification; it's not chicken feed. Not only that, but the guy also stressed the need to keep the Cert papers in the car at all times in case you are stopped by the police - which wasn't encouraging. . .

AFAIK you QLD guys don't have to deal with this. (don't know about VIC but if ur draconian traffic enforcement is any guide you're probably in the same boat).

Would a straight GZE > GE install require Certification? I wouldn't have thought so seeing as both p/plants were offered in AE92 chassis but this being NSW you never know. . .

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: NSW Engineering+Emission Certification: 4AG Turbo

Cheaper and easier to put some maroon coloured plates on it.
    Doesn't really help though I know

A Turbo I can understand; but why would a GZE transplant need to be engineered? It was offered in the same chassis FFS!

I'm running Levin twin-pot calipers & rotors and Toyota didn't even upgrade the brakes on the GTZ. . .

Yes I have a definite issue with basically bolting on an OEM solution & then paying a bureaucrat $1500-2000 to do 1-2 hours work.

It's not the money; it's the principle. . .; looks like a "jobs for the boys" money grab to me. . . .
    Last edited by GeeEss; 10-07-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf

Read this. There are at least two points from what I can see that indicate you need engineering certification.

Your engine was not turbo, so needs certification. This is true even if your engine was originally turbo but you are changing to a non factory setup. (if the GZE version was a factory option and you retain all of the factory systems, emission etc then you don't need certification).
    You indicated that your brake upgrade was not a factory option; this needs certification. If it was a factory option on the same chassis, you don't.

Not a bad idea to carry your papers with you just to simplify the discussion if you get pulled over, but I'm not aware that it is the law.

As far as cost, you are paying for the engineer to maintain his/her certification, professional insurances and to assume some risk over the certification. Emissions testing is a fairly expensive pastime and the gear is not cheap. Lots of people are happy to pay for engineering and in short, you'll pay what the market will bear. Thanks capitalist running dogs!

Personally, I think you will end up spending more on your turbo setup/tuning to meet emissions requirements. You'd be better off finding a full GZE setup.

Re: There are at least two points from what I can see that indicate you need engineering certification.

I appreciate the need to keep vehicles that share the road with other road users safe. I also realise that Certifiers need to make a living and as an ex. Mechanical design engineer aren't totally ignorant of the dangers of poorly designed and / or executed modifications. I do however take issue with some of the prices I've been quoted that seem rather excessive

In regards to the Turbo I came to the same conclusion. A half decent install will cost ~ $5K if not more + certification + attracts too much attention from "third parties". Added to that; even a small unit like a TD04 won't give the instant oomph a S/C will and as for the extra power from a Turbo; are you r-e-a-l-l-y going to get it to the ground in a 30 year old FWD chassis???

In regards to the brake's I'd challenge that. The AE111 twin-pot set-up is basically a bolt on modification and the calipers on the base BZG models were identical to those fitted to the AE92.

In any case this may all be academic; as after nearly 10 years of ownership (I imported it) I'm starting to think it maybe time to move on car-wise - so it just makes no sense further capitalizing the car. . . .