Thread: speedo adjuster jaycar kit AA0376

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default speedo adjuster jaycar kit AA0376

Hi I have got a hold of this speedometer corrector kit.
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text...0-51235a12836d

I have installed it in my car that is converted to w58 manual.
    The sender i have is the pulse sender from an IS200
    I cannot get the kit to see my sender at all.

I have looked on the net and a few people have suggested later model cars use variable voltage for speed instead of pulsed signal

Does anyone know if this kit is for pulse senders/ gauges or variable speed type?

thanks
    cue

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default Re: speedo adjuster jaycar kit AA0376

Did you install a 3 wire speed sensor in the W58?
    What car do you have?
    Are you using the factory dash for that car?

FYI the Jaycar kit does work with a 3 wire speed sensor, but not a 2 wire speed sensor

Also, have you tried without the Jaycar adjuster? The speedo should work, just not be accurate (perhaps your Jaycar adjuster ins't working?)...

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Wilbo, thanks for the quick reply.

yes i have the three wire speed sensor in the W58

car is LX90 toyota cresta converted to 1uz, w58

yes factory dash

"FYI the Jaycar kit does work with a 3 wire speed sensor, but not a 2 wire speed sensor"
    i have both and cant get the kit to see either

"Also, have you tried without the Jaycar adjuster?"
    yes i can get the speedo working using the 2 wire sensor, I have a wire from the dash (its yellow) i run that to one of the two wires and the other wire to earth.

"The speedo should work, just not be accurate (perhaps your Jaycar adjuster ins't working?)..."
    i have swapped out the kit and am using a second one now, same as result before

How are you fitting a two wire speed sensor to a W58 out of interest...? By two wire sensor I am referring to a reluctor style that outputs an alternating wave form...I'm a bit surprised the dash works with a 2 wire sensor to be honest!

Anyway I would have thought that you would have been wanting to use a 3 wire speed sensor? ... Did the car come with a 3 wire speed sensor for the dash from factory?
    (My memory and knowledge of xX9xx isn't the best to be honest, but I also recall something about them having a setup where the dash got the speed signal from the ABS unit, or something a little different?)

Can you measure with a multimeter to make sure that you are getting pulses out of the 3 wire speed sensor at the Jaycar unit? (You can have the speed sensor removed and have someone turn it over slowly by hand as you measure the signal output voltage with a multimeter...)...

And you're sure that the output of the 3 wire sensor connected to the dash doesn't work?

Cheers
    Wilbo

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

"How are you fitting a two wire speed sensor to a W58 out of interest...? By two wire sensor I am referring to a reluctor style that outputs an alternating wave form...I'm a bit surprised the dash works with a 2 wire sensor to be honest!"

yes me too! I only tried this because I couldn't get the 3 wire one to work. Its actually not attached to the gearbox at all, I have it bolted to the floor of the car pointing to the tail shaft, it is getting its signal from a single tail shaft balance weight. i really didn't think this would work especially since the balance weight is so thin, but it does.
    pics below, hopefully you can see the thickness of the balance weight lhs of second pic

"Anyway I would have thought that you would have been wanting to use a 3 wire speed sensor? ... Did the car come with a 3 wire speed sensor for the dash from factory?"
    Yes it did, not sure if it had the two wire as well.

"Can you measure with a multimeter to make sure that you are getting pulses out of the 3 wire speed sensor at the Jaycar unit? (You can have the speed sensor removed and have someone turn it over slowly by hand as you measure the signal output voltage with a multimeter...)..."

definitely getting a signal out of the 3 wire sensor, i can see it with my multimeter

"And you're sure that the output of the 3 wire sensor connected to the dash doesn't work?"

well the signal from the 3 wire sensor is positive and the wire from the dash works when it is earthed so they are not compatible, having said that i did try once and it killed my 3 wire sender had to replace it.

Cheers
    cue
    Last edited by cue340; 11-05-2016 at 01:49 PM.

I don't have any particular diagram for the xX9x dash that would help sadly...!

If the dash needs an Open Collector trigger then the Jaycar unit can do that looking at the instructions...
    Jumper LK4 on, and LK3 and LK5 off...

I actually thought you had the older kit (I've made one of them in the past for someone else!)... I didn't realise there was a different Jaycar speedo adjuster now...

Another thing that is a bit concerning is that the Jaycar manual for that speedo adjuster says 8V2 (which means 8.2V) maximum input...! That seems low (and a bit daft really) seeing as I'm pretty sure the 3 wire speed sensor puts out battery voltage! I hope you haven't damage the Jaycar unit... :S

It's also strange that there is a jumper / link for AC output (LK5), so maybe it can take in the AC signal from your 2 wire sensor!

Otherwise you could try a diode to turn the 3 wire sensor into an open collector output to avoid putting +12V into the input for the Jaycar unit...
    Something like a 1N5819 has a pretty low forward voltage drop... You'd install it with the marking closest to the speed sensor...
    If that doesn't work you can use a resistor and a transistor to trigger the Jaycar unit...

You've followed the operating instructions for the Jaycar unit?

Also FYI, you can "Quote" someones text by putting it in brackets like this (remove the space in front of quote! I've put that in so you can see the required formatting). Using quotes can make it easier to read!
    [ quote=person ]Quoted Text[/quote]

Anyway, not sure I've actually helped much / at all!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

You've been a great help thanks Wilbo

I tried to get an older kit, but no luck

thanks to your help I am now pretty sure I did the install right, and have done one of the self build jaycar kits a while ago with no dramas at all.

So now I really am thinking these new kits work on variable voltage and not pulses.
    Makes sense that the input signal is 5v or 8v,
    so select input as 5v i expect 0v at stop maybe .2 volts and 10khp and 4.7volts at 200kph
    and select input as 8v i expect 0v at stop maybe .2 volts and 10khp and 7.7volts at 200kph

therefore this kit would not see a pulsed signal at all