Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8 day challenge- MX73 to JZX73 MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: 8 day challenge- MX73 to JZX73

Joel: i have a spare pair, will get them over to you soon.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

You are GOLD!!! Jesse will be having a look around for his spare pair tomorrow, but if they don't turn up I will certainly be in touch!
    Now these calipers better turn up tomorrow.....

OK, as of tonight the LSD is now installed along with the rear springs, shocks & swaybar. o that just leaves the engine, tranny, wiring & ECU & stereo, and the intercooler & tranny cooler.
    Tomorrow I'm going to go and fetch myself an RA65 power steering line, as the Enzed P/S line I removed seems to have been rubbing on something (maybe a pulley ) and was always a little too long anyway.
    While it's all underway I'm also planning on welding up a battery tray/holder out of a bit of angle iron, seeing as I have a borrowed welder sitting in the shed. The old batt. tray was a bodgy riveted together aluminium job that was always a bit wobbly.

So tomorrow is gathering required bits-n-pieces day, then Sunday is when I'm planning on getting the old-engine-removal-phase underway.

Oh, & my R33 calipers didn't turn up today , if they're not here early next week I will be pissed!!! (and will go without the brake upgrade, temporarily)

Equipped with Bowls Hat Backyard Mechanic Adam_Cressi's Avatar

impressive job mate.. hope to see u soon
    2JZ-GTE MX-83 Cressida
    Toymods Car Club Club Member # 185

How's your Cressida search coming along? You know MX73s can be had for less money, weigh a few hundred kilos less, & look a whole lot more stylin'! Plus 1J engine mounts to suit can be bought ready made.

Think about it.

Equipped with Bowls Hat Backyard Mechanic Adam_Cressi's Avatar

i have my eye on one, im prepared to wait, they kno who they are
    2JZ-GTE MX-83 Cressida
    Toymods Car Club Club Member # 185

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    You know MX73s .... weigh a few hundred kilos less
    I wouldn't be sure about that.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

I got the the 14" thermo fan and fuel filter sitting next to me dude. I'll show u the receipt but i think its about $90 all up after discount.
    Talk to ya later, Ace
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

ace: where and what brand for the 14" thermofan, im after a couple for my cressy soon. But after something like the Davies Craig fans with boltholes parallel to the fan, rather than some of the other weird ones ive seen.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Its a 'Calibre' 14 incher, we have the Calibre range and some of the Davies Craig range (Joel and i could only see up to 10" today). We've got their catalogue at Super Cheap Auto (Thebarton, Port Road) so i spose we can order any of their range in.
    I bought the fan which 'll give to Joel so he could get my discount (25% off) and i'm happy to do it again for a Toymodder as long as i don't get in trouble....
    Are you gonna be helping out Joel at any stage? If so you can suss the Calibre one...
    Ace
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Yeah, the Calibre ones have a weird mounting system. Its almost like they are held in from the sides on a special latch arrangement. I was going to get soem DC ones, but the SCA out on Bridge Rd didnt have any of the 12"s. Im probably going to run dual 12" fans.

Real quick update: 5Mge is out, crossmember & rack is out, new crossmember & rack is in, complete dash is out, old dash loom is out, new dash loom is in, dash is back together, R33 calipers & BA discs are on, along with new braided brake lines & longer studs, fuel pump is in..... passenger door loom is being swapped (different plugs), 1JZ goes in tomorrow.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Found the plug yet?
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Um, no, not yet.....

The search for the plug will continue, as will the search for pictures of the white engine bay, pre & post 1J removal. If the "missing plug" is the only problem we have to sort out, I reckon I'll be happy.

I don't suppose you'd fancy an overnight trip to Adelaide?

Some of the problems we have encountered are:

* above mentioned "missing plug", due to my carelessness- difficulty rating 5- priority rating high- problem pending

* the new earlier model Cressida has indicators in the guards, the loom we swapped over doesn't- difficulty rating 3- priority rating low- problem pending

* the front passenger door loom plug doesn't match the plug on the swapped loom- difficulty rating 3- priority rating medium- problem solved pending testing (door loom swapped)

That's the only decent problems so far, I'm sure more will crop up once the motor is in & electrical power is applied, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

Tomorrows agenda includes motor & transmission installation, radiator support modification to suit intercooler piping, intercooler installation, trans cooler & power steering lines, radiator & thermo fans installation, battery tray fabrication, then at some stage testing will commence.
    Wish me luck.

EDIT: progress pics should be up soon.

Goddamn she runs!!!!!

Mos, I shoved those 3 wires in the 3 wire plug that had the same clour wires & that seemed to do the trick! Now I just have to get the other side of the plug from the 5M & wire it up properly & she should be good.

It still needs fluids, headlights, a new 90 degree tyre valve (straight one hits the calipers), a battery tray, one of the fan wires swapped around, and a general tidy up, then I can give her a test drive. That gives me tomorrow & maybe half of friday to troubleshoot & prepare for the drive to Sydney.