Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 8 day challenge- MX73 to JZX73 MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Equipped with Bowls Hat Backyard Mechanic Adam_Cressi's Avatar

Default Re: 8 day challenge- MX73 to JZX73

awesome dude!!!
    2JZ-GTE MX-83 Cressida
    Toymods Car Club Club Member # 185

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Awesome, keep up the good work.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Thanks fellas!
    I'm stoked, seeing as we only dropped the motor in this morning, and wasted a bit of time mounting fans & installing then uninstalling & then reinstalling a fuel filter (dodgy valvoline filter ), plus flushing & bleeding the brakes.

I'll try to get Jesse to put some pics up for me tomorrow.

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Hell yeah nice work dude!!! What was with all the door wiring? What needed to be done?
    Hahahaha what was wrong with the Valvaline fuel filter? Are you regretting that you didn't go genuine now?
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

For some reason the grey cressidas passenger door loom had a different plug to the white cressidas dash loom, so it wouldn't plug in, even though the drivers side pluged straight in no worries. So we simply swapped the door loom from the white cressida & with the very brief testing performed tonight it seemed to worked ok.

The bloody fuel filter! For some reason the bottom fitting uses a bigger banjo bolt, which we realised once the filter was fitted to the engine & the engine installed. So we took the original one to toyota & while very helpful, quoted a replacement one at $160. So I came back home & just chucked the old one back in.
    I'll look into replacing once I have a bit more time, but for now it'll do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    but for now it'll do the job.
    Exactly man.....Thats the whole point of the 8 day challenge!
    My TA22
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Wow, congrads mate. Thats just really impressive to get an engine conversion done is such a short amount of time. And all the other work you've done to it aswell! Really inspiring mate. Looking forward to those pictures

Sam

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Not that we dont have faith in you Joel, but we've organised a standby car trailer for anywhere this side of the NSW border
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Hey, thanks for volunteering Matt, if anything goes wrong I'll be sure to call you first!

But yeah, took her for a drive tonight, & she seems all good!

The only major issue at the moment is a bettery tray, but the very helpful Rex Kelway will be having a look at that tomorrow & will try to knock something up for it. ATM it's held in with a couple of the biggest cable ties you're likely to see!
    Apart from that it needs 1 wire hooked up for the stereo, the r/h parker & the gear shifter light isn't working, and the window switches have decided to get a bit dicky.

Taking it for a drive was quite funny, first I drove it round the block with the bonnet off & there was no problems, so we chucked the bonnet on & closed it before we realised the bonnet release cable wasn't hooked up! Once we had the grille removed it wasn't too hard to open though, fortunately.

Then we started driving it down the road & all of a sudden it started missing & stuttering, & the engine light was coming on, so I pulled over to investigate & my bodgy 15 cent home made fuel cut defender was shorting out on a bracket that one of my "helpers" had shoved it in! Once that was fixed though it was smooth running for a good hours drive. The brakes seem as though they could do with another quick bleed along with the cooling system, but that shouldn't take long.

The plan is we leave here asap tomorrow (after some battery bracketry is made & a quick tidy up performed) and arrive in Sydney some time on Saturday.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

good work man. you're keen making that drive after such a massive change. good luck!

Default Re: 8 day challenge- MX73 to JZX73 MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Well what do you know, here I am in Sydney, and I even brought the Adelaide weather with me!

After leaving at 4pm yesterday myslef & my mate Karl (who came up to help with the conversion- respect!) arrived in Sydney at 6am this morning Adelaide time.
    The trip was fairly uneventful, luckily, the only problem to arrise was a slightly undertightened & leaking heater hose clamp, so a quick stop in some backwater hicktown soon had that repaired, with no other problems at all.
    The car drove beautifully, & made overtaking an absolute breeze, it just ate up the kilometers.

Big thanks goes to everyone who helped out, Karl from Sydney for flying up & putting in the long hours, Andrew from my work, who also put in the long hours, Takai for a pair of last minute disc-to-hub spacers and big thanks to Rex Kelway, who was up at 7am yesterday to weld up a battery tray for me.
    Oh, & Jesse/PlacentaJuan, for putting up with crap everywhere & taking care of the clean up in preperation for next weeks property inspection.
    Hopefully he'll put some pics up soon like I asked him too aswell.

Now to wash her up & prepare for tomorrows festival of powahz!

You legend dude!!
    Take me for a spin in the enxt few weeks.
    My TA22

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Congrads that one mighty achievement

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

i sent worm the photos ages ago, must be too busy partying it up in oxford st...

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

time for a break, time for bummies!