Thread: 1jz vvti running issues mx83 Cressida

Forum Member

Default 1jz vvti running issues mx83 Cressida

Hey guys this is my first post here, I'm a Nissan guy normally and havnt played with a lot of Toyota wiring at this stage but I think I have it all worked out from what I can gather from a few incomplete threads.. If any of the terminology is off please forgive me.

So subject vehicle is a 07/1990 mx83 Cressida Aus spec 7M-ge.

Engine is a vvti 1jz believed to have come from a jzx100. Came with wiring loom and ecu: 89661-22800 1jzgt auto.

Now this issue is the car will fire up straight away and idle smoothly, will rev smoothly ish with no load. Once you start to load it up and rev higher it becomes richer and the car starts to slowly decrease in revs like its getting flooded. While doing this from the cable you can hear that the turbo starts to flutter. The longer you hold revs at 3k the louder it gets. I have experienced this in the past and it can be caused by incorrect ign timing.

When the car sits there is a casual flow of dark smoke. It's not terrible but easliy noticeable as a rich condition. Gets worse once revved and as above seems to get worse the longer revs are held.

When attempting to drive it the car will take off fine with no revs, once throttle is applied sometimes it will buck and hesitate and shake.

I am pretty confident majority of the wiring has been done correctly.. found most of it from the jzx100 ecu pin out thread.

Now the check engine, temp gauge, and tacho etc are not hooked up. Struggling to trace the wires from the cluster so cannot check light for flashing at this stage. If someone has a dash loom diagram that would be sweet! All my dash plugs are gone so cannot use pin outs.

One thing I'm confused about is the e1 and e2 "grounds" so e1 is chassis ground, and e2 I have seen various places is the sensor ground wire. So where do I connect this, I have it connected to Chassis ground under the dash with the other grounds at the moment.. I have heard not to do that however no one explains what to do with it! Don't want to blow anything up as the ecu was damaged on arrival and has already been professionaly repaired and fully checked over = OK
    So don't wanna go messing with wires I don't understand.

I have also read around the places that the ecu needs to see speed to sense load. Now this mx83 is cable speedo. What happens here? When Using a manual gearbox with cable from box to speedo how does the ecu get its signal?

Wow got it all out eventually! Thanks for reading. If you made it this far thanks and Im keen to hear everyone's thoughts!
    Last edited by Oliver7202; 18-03-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Forgot some info

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Default Re: 1jz vvti running issues mx83 Cressida

Do you have the air flow sensor wired correctly?
    Here are the colours of the wires and their functions on my MX83 GRANDE loom plugs from 7MGE motor to underdash plugs
    White plug
    yellow with brown spots___________ speedo speed sensor
    brown _________________________ speedo speed sensor [make sure you earth this one]
    yellow_________________________ temp sensor
    black__________________________ tacho
    yellow/blue _____________________ oil pressure switch
    red/green [2] __________________ reverse
    green__________________________ park
    red ___________________________ neutral
    blue___________________________ drive
    light green______________________ 2
    pink __________________________ L
    Square grey plug
    small black/white _______________ AC clutch
    blue/red_______________________ FP diags
    black/red _____________________ +B diags
    red/black _____________________ 12v supply for speed sensor etc
    big black______________________ nsw
    big black/white _______________ nsw from start relay
    light green ____________________ goes to purple/white in other grey plug
    green with spots _______________ tccs diode
    green/white ___________________ stop light switch
    big black/yellow________________ power from ignition
    small black/yellow _____________ solenoid 2 in transmission to cruise control ecu
    green________________________ from airflow for circuit opening relay
    black _______________________ from temp sensor on water inlet to start injector
    Rectangular grey plug
    pink__________ _______________ TE1 diags
    brown/black __________________ earth
    pink/green__________ _________ TE2 diags
    grey________________________ VF1 diags
    purple/white__________________ goes to pink. and light green in other grey plug
    grey/green___________________ brown wire on abs sensor
    pink/blue ____________________ grey wire on abs sensor
    purple ______________________ blue wire on abs sensor
    Last edited by madmont; 18-03-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    Jealousy is a curse

Forum Member

Thanks for that mate, will have another looksy at the dash stuff later

No I havnt wired the afm at all, it's part of the loom which is already plugged directly into the ecu. It does however have a apexi AFC neo fitted, disconnecting that and reconnecting the MAF as standard doesn't change anything though

Forum Member

Okay so turns out the vvti auto ecu doesn't have an SP1 input pin from the dash speed output (from cable) so the ecu doesn't know the speed... However this issue is present without the car moving.

So planning to just leave it disconnected as there isn't really much evidence that it needs to be connected unless you want 180kmh speed cut?

Check engine light pin (WAR?)on the ecu tested with test light and no flashes when jumped te1 to e1 so not sure what's happening there..

Im going to hilight the main issue here. Bucking, jerking when applying throttle, pretty damn rich, seems worse as it warms up more, as it gets hotter/runs for longer the turbo starts making a chattering/chuffing noise and smokes blacker and blacker

Brand new water temp sensor fitted, starts first turn and it didn't before with old sensor so that appears to be working. The symptoms havnt changed at all aside from starting time from replacing that sensor

Forum Member

Okay so I have worked out the main issue, a power wire to the MAF was not connected hidden in the other wiring looms. Connected that and now appears to be running much better.

However it will not idle at all due to idle Control valve not doing its thing. Have manually powered it and found it is working and has power at the 2 centre pins.

It seems M-REL keeps power to the ecu and returns it to its default position on key off. Now I have located the black/red, black/yellow and grey wire from main efi relay in the engine bay inside the footwell, have powered the grey wire and relay does sound like its working. Producing a 10v signal onto the black/red wire. So how does the m-rel output on the ecu power the relay? Which of the wires is it supposed to connect to? Tried powering the grey, from the black/yellow and connecting the pink m-rel to the black/red and nothing.

Still shuts off like it did before and no m-rel "power hold on for shutdown procedure" is occurring. Interested to see if someone understands it better than me and can assist

Cheers!

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

m-rel output from ecu goes to the grey wire and the power comes back from relay through black/red wire
    Jealousy is a curse