Thread: e420d Ecu Idle & Throttle-Off issues - 16V 4AGE + ITBs

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default e420d Ecu Idle & Throttle-Off issues - 16V 4AGE + ITBs

ECU is an Adaptronic e420d into which I've been throwing my free time into for a couple of months now trying to arrive at an acceptable level of low-load / low RPM driveability.

Starting with a member's < Trdee > input I've now managed to get a moderate handle on Fuel Map tuning to the point where I have the car behaving O-K*. . in most low / medium load-rpm conditions (and very good relative to its previous state of tune).

* Further to previous paragraph. . . I'd pretty much 90-95% reached this* stage 2+ weeks ago with an MS Tune but a Tech Support guy @ Adaptronic requested I change to a VE tune advising that it was easier to tune, more planar & thus easier to spot irregularities in fuel supply. Well - I must be doing something wrong because my VE Map looks very similar to the MS version < both attached >. Whilst the car drives O-K. . ; it's not quite as smooth as it was under the MS tune.

The Tune still leaves a bit to be desired however in regards to some low-load conditions and a general lack of low/mid-range torque & overall smoothness.

1. Actual AFR V Target AFR

I seem to be chasing my tail getting the AFR's to a sufficiently tight tolerance < generally I'm within 5-10% but getting intermittent spikes & falls to 21.8 & 7.7>. I make the due corrections & Log my drive only to find that the Map's now gone very lean / very rich in other areas.

Previous Tuners set Fuel Corrections to Open Loop - Adaptronic have previously posted that a Street driven car should generally always be in closed Loop fuel corrections so I assume they themselves determined the engine's operation hadn't been sufficiently resolved for Closed Loop Idle?

2. "Idle-droop".

Whilst my idle is initially OK from Start-up to WT= 85C it doesn't maintain RPM after the radiator fan cycles ON/OFF and drops by ~ 2-300 rpm to ~ 700rpm.; relevant settings shown in below image.

Electrical Load 3 = Idle Up

I tried increasing the Idle Effort at WT > 75 from 25 to 30 @ below image. I idled the car stationary for 25-30 minutes & this seemed to work OK < aside from a disconcertingly audible 4-clicks whenever the fans cut in; which only happened when I increased Idle Effort - there was only 1 audible click @ WT=25) . When I actually took the car for a drive however, the idle speed again dropped to a ragged & uneven 700 rpm.

Until it was flagged to me; I hadn't even considered that ignition corrections may be a factor in this. < said person suggested I tune with all corrections zeroed >. Could these corrections have something to do with this idle-droop issue?

3. Throttle-Off / Over-run Jerkiness

1. Getting pronounced jerkiness around the 1500 rpm area when I come off then back on throttle. Tried playing around with Lower / Higher RPM ( 1800 to 2500) & Time Delay (250 to 500) values in Power Cut mode and Dashpot Extra Effort ( 0 to 2 ) but didn't achieve anything.

This seems to be a very common issue judging by the Sites I Googled but nothing of consequence was learned - a lot of these guys had no more idea than I did & just seemed to be throwing numbers at WARI hoping something would work. Relevant settings shown below.

4. Injector Dead Time

Opinions seem to vary in regards to the importance of this but mine are in any case; w-a-y off. I have tried to use the DT Wizard in WARI but every time it Toggles "Double" the AFR's go massively lean & no matter how much I increase the DT Value the car stalls. . . .

FWIW I'm running Denso 290cc 6-Hole injectors as used in some 3SGE's. These were supplied with the Harness by the Adaptronics Dealer. I have searched hi / lo for DT's online & thought I'd come up with the correct values < see below > but obviously they're not. . .

Last edited by GeeEss; 21-11-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

Default Re: e420d Ecu Idle & Throttle-Off issues - 16V 4AGE + ITBs

Couple of thing I would suggest:

Idle Control:
    1. Having the input/output setup like you do is adding another variable to it, I would switch it off when trying to diagnose the idle issue
    2. Are you using closed loop idle control? If so, check what the target idle speed is
    3. You can check a live calculation trace to see what is affecting the idle control settings, this can help you identify what setting may be causing an issue.

Throttle Jerkiness:
    Is it when you get back on the throttle? If so, check your transient throttle settings, they have a bigger effect than the throttle overrun settings.

Other than that, for the AFR's, dumb question from me, but you have a wideband O2 sensor on the car?
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Hi there. . .

1. What inputs / outputs are you specifically referring to?
    2. No. . .P, I & D = 0
    3. How do you do this?

Re. Throttle: Sorry my bad - stuttering occurs on trailing (not re-applied) throttle so I don't think Transient settings are the problem

WB02 installed and AFAIK < dash gauges >; working correctly. . .

Input output 9, the logic electrical load based on water temp.

The calculation trace is available under the help menu at the top of the window.
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

OK; so you're saying I should de-activate the idle-up in case there's a logic error & have Aux 6 = Water Temp, 80/85?

Thanks for the info on "Calculation Trace"; wasn't aware of this feature.
    Last edited by GeeEss; 21-11-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Yep, I'm assuming that aux 6 is the thermo fan.

Note I am not saying this will fix it, but it removes a variable that is able to be controlled through the idle control strategies available.

Also, just to check that you are running the thermo through a relay?
    Last edited by Roundy; 22-11-2015 at 09:44 AM.
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Yes Aux 6 is the thermo fan.

Thermo-fan normally runs through a relay @ below diagram but don't think it is now as I was instructed to disconnect Water Temperature Switch so I assume it is now being controlled directly by ECU.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

is the jerkyness at 1500rpm there both when using VE and MS mode? have you tried adding more fuel in the very low throttle position tables at that RPM point? (like 10% or less throttle)
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

You can't run a thermofan straight from an Aux output, it needs to switch a relay on otherwise you will damage the ECU.
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Arrow Re: e420d Ecu Idle & Throttle-Off issues - 16V 4AGE + ITBs

Quote Originally Posted by GeeEss View Post
    Electrical Load 3 = Idle Up
    Could be speaking out of turn here... but.... if you are using a 3-wire 20V ISCV you need two PWM outputs. One standard and one inverted. If you are using a 2-wire ISCV from some other vehicle, you are OK with one PWM output.

Another thing I notice is that you say that you are using Digital 3 to switch an idle-up valve. If the e420d is like the e420c, then you should be able to add "extra effort" to your ISCV on the "Idle" TAB for each electrical load ? Perhaps you are doing that rather than using a separate idle-up valve ?

On my engine the factory thermostat would hold a steady 85 deg while driving without having the fan on. It only ever went above 85 deg when I came to a stop, or if I went WOT through the gears. So I switched the fan at 85/87. Pulling the temp down below 85 would have caused the thermostat to close which did not seem like a good idea.

Cheers... jondee86

I also posted this question in another Forum and received a response from a guy running a similar < 20V 4AGE+ITBs > set-up in (I think) a KE70

He asked me to email him my ECU & Log Files which he reviewed - he made some interesting observations & suggestions* which I think others may learn from. I trust / hope I'm not breaching his trust or any ethical guidelines by posting his observations here;

* He sent me a couple of ECU Files; 1. with & 2. without tweaked timing < Tuning Mode: 1 = MAP, 2=TPS, MAP X TPS >

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Post crank enrichment was really low. You had more long post and almost no short post and your short post was for way too long. Its now 20% (was 5%) for the first 3 seconds which is ideal for a dead cold motor. Then its now 4% for 9 seconds on the long post crank enrichment. it was 10% for 15 seconds. You sort of had it arse about. Once the motor fires 20 or 30 times in the first couple of seconds conditions change and its warm in there, therefore enrichment drops pretty fast.

2. Ignition timing on cranking I changed to 6 degrees, just because 10 seems too advanced unless your motor wont start with 6 degrees, but it should. less is more, my 20v used 4 degrees here.

3. I checked your compensation and enrichment tables and found some odd data. As I keep saying you don't need to make any trim tables to play with your ignition, so that has been wiped, all that will do is override your control of the tune, so ditch it! I've zeroed both air and water temp based ignition trim to avoid losing control of the tune.

4. Don't worry about low/high map enrichment, as you just need to worry about getting things simplified so having multiple trim tables for different engine conditions is counter productive. I wiped the high map values and took away a crossover threshold value so that it will default to the low map enrich table vs water temp only as the manual states.

Despite your suggestion that my suggested values were way different to yours, they weren't, i just smoothed your table out as it was pointlessly stepped. The key values are simply the percentage or enrichment at startup temps and then the fact it should zero by operation temp so your maps are accurate for tuning. Yours did this, but it didn't represent an understanding that changes based on temperature are linear or at worst graph-able curve comparisons, so having odd stepped data there is only going to upset something. As such I just smoothed your waveform.

5. I wiped all air temp vs fuel trim from that table for the same reason, it will take control from you.

6. Wiped transient enrichment by un-selecting the Map prediction box and then by zeroing the gain. Again this will affect the accuracy of your logs while tuning. You need steady state conditions and the transient enrich means you need longer steady states to tune from and hold back the amount of data you can make to tune from per drive. Its easy to put back once you have the tune more sorted.

7. Changed your purge valve settings as it was effectively a vacuum leak that would affect your tune. For the small amount it needs to be vented your control conditions have had it on almost all the time while driving, effectively feeding in un-metered fuel almost all the time through a vacuum leak. I have changed it so it only comes on when the amount of air it can feed is comparably low to the motors actual air requirements so that the extra rich air coming in doesn't have a measurable bearing on your tune.

8. You had way too many ignition load points to the point where you would lose a motor on over-rev. You need load points above where you plan to run the motor because shit happens. If you down shift at high speed from 5th to 4th but miss and get second you will spin the motor to 12500 by accident and its more likely to lunch itself if you have no tuning data that makes sense above your rev limit.

Just because you cannot rev the motor there with the accelerator electronically doesn't mean it cannot spin there by some shifting error. Just food for thought.

Plus tuning all those load points is too time consuming and possibly the reason why your tuner got lazy and used lots of repetitive values. You only need to go to less than 500 rpm steps if you cannot control afrs in between load points, in my experience with 4ages 500rpm steps are fine. Anything beyond that is just useless.

9. I dropped the VE tuning and set your tuning to Map vs TPS so that you can have a smoother drive. I put the right values in to implement the map sensor smoothly, with the scaling values between 0 and 1 for fuel and the all 10s in the ignition map to cancel out the control system that divided the product of the 2 maps by ten. Having all tens in this map will allow the values in the timing map 2 to be used as they are.

I tweaked a few of the non load timing values to where I like them, your idle ignition advance was like 17 degrees which is crazy so Ive played with the zero throttle line and then the first couple of vertical columns of the low load points 500 and 1000rpm.

In general a 4AG timing map looks a bit different to yours. Id describe yours as extremely conservative and speaks to me of a tuner too lazy or incompetent to zero the trims and do it right, so rather than do the small amount of work required to do it properly, he just dropped it on a Dyno and did his best as it was, hence the lack of high load advance. You should at least hit 30 degrees BTDC in my opinion at full power full load where your power peaks.

I can see why he didn't, your trim values could have varied this figure by as much as 10 degrees based on air and water temp, he probably saw how much timing was shifiting and then just played it safe.

Looking at all this you should load the map I send back, then just go get a full load half load and quarter load Dyno tune done and then fill in the blanks by road tuning with your wide-band. I've never found a safe or accurate method to road tune for really high load conditions so just do those on a Dyno and then the rest is easy to do yourself.

I've sent you one map with the timing changed and one with all the changes above and the timing not changed.

What we really have done is everything your tuner should have done before tuning your car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK; back to me. . . . .

The car does in fact drive smoother & throttle-off jerkiness has 99% gone but performance is flat(ter). This is is understandable given it is a remote / speculative tune but it's nothing that can't be improved with some road work as he advised. It also leans out on take off / throttle application which he also advised should be remedied by increasing the transient advance.

Another thing to note is that the "idle-droop" whilst improved was still there. I idled the car for about 25 minutes through 2-3 Fan On / Fan Off cycles and each time the idle seemed to drop another 50-75 rpm to the extent that by the 3rd cycle it was sitting on about 750 rpm and getting a bit uneven.

Aside from the fact I have no experience in anything but 1=Unused, 2=TPS tune, much of this information is beyond my knowledge / comprehension envelope so I'm now going to go away for a bit and try get my head around all this . . .

PS: I respect the guy's suggestions regarding a 1/4, 1/2 & full-load tune but having already spent a < 20V+6 Speed > amount of money on accredited Tuners over the years for very mediocre results I am, out of principle not spending a cent more. With this set up from now on its whatever I can achieve via road-tuning. . . If I'm still not happy out it goes to be replaced by a complete Blacktop / 4AGZE + OEM ECU set-up. . .
    Last edited by GeeEss; 24-11-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

I'd say you got some pretty good advice there

Cheers... jondee86

I think so too. . .

Kind of ironic wouldn't you say? The most informed tuning input I've had to date & it's from a non-accredited and in all probability self-taught tuner who runs an interior fit-out business.
    Last edited by GeeEss; 24-11-2015 at 09:05 PM.

OK; increased the fuelling @ 1000-1500 RPM / 3 - 35% TPS by around 10-20% + added 5 Deg to Transient advance; which seemed to do the trick. Map was quite lean in mid / upper range requiring 15-30% more fuel in various areas.

Over-all car seems to be running OK; will take it down to M1 on WE & do steady 4 / 5 / 6000 RPM / 0-100 TPS load runs plus a couple of full bore 0 - 110 km/h runs to fine tune the Map.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jondee86 View Post
    I'd say you got some pretty good advice there

Cheers... jondee86
    yep. he took it back to basics for you. remove all the corrections so they aren't messing with your tune and get the fundamentals right. that is how a car is normally tuned from scratch (it is also exactly what the adaptronic manual tells you to do )

now you need to find a dyno tuner and get a good baseline fuel and spark map. you can add the corrections for water/air temp/etc back in later.

although his comments about RPM steps is a bit strange. if you over-rev then the ECU will use the values in the highest RPM cells anyway, and you cant exactly tune for revs above your rev limit so I think he might have gone off on a tangent there. not a big deal though. Personally I don't think 500rpm steps are enough for a smooth tune on a ITB-equipped 4AGE (remember how big the steps were on your tune between like 1500 and 2000rpm for example?) but that's personal preference I guess
    Last edited by trdee; 26-11-2015 at 09:44 AM.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta