Thread: ECU Ignition Map & Road Tuning: 16V 4AGE + ITBs

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default ECU Ignition Map & Road Tuning: 16V 4AGE + ITBs

Hi there . . .

I'd welcome some informed commentary regarding ECU Ignition Map r-o-a-d tuning.

ECU is an Adaptronic e420d into which I've been throwing my free time into for over a month now trying to arrive at an acceptable level of low-load / low RPM drive-ability.

Starting with a member's input 2-3 months ago I've now managed to get a moderate handle on Fuel Map tuning to the point where I have the car behaving O-K in most low / medium load-rpm conditions (and very good relative to its previous state of tune) and got to the stage where I think I've sufficiently refined the Fuel Map to now have a crack at the Ignition Curve - particularly given that some of the problem areas regarding above-mentioned AFR / AFR discrepancies seem to correspond to sharp inflections in the Ignition curve.

Having now synchronized the engine's Base Timing < it was 8 deg advanced over indicated value > I'd welcome some advice in regards to the proper methods & procedures for road-tuning an Ignition Map.

I'd also be interested in peoples comments regarding the shape of my Ignition Curve . In the Adaptronic article < http://www.adaptronic.com.au/tuning-...o-set-them-up/ > they reference a 4AGE in regards to tuning an N/A engine. Notwithstanding the fact the actual table values won't correlate between 20V & 16V due to the different head design, VVT & C.R. Etc - the ignition Map does seem a lot more linear than the Map set up by my previous tuners, which has significant areas of "plateau" where the timing does not change w.r.t to RPM or Load < i.e. T=25 BTDC from 4000-6500 rpm / TPS = 36-100% >.

Further to the above I also came across this article < http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic....14755&p=106180 > in which member < Jondee 86 > posted a picture of; " ... a nice ignition map that fits in with my personal opinion of what an ignition map should look like ". My Map doesn't bear much resemblance to that Map. . .

Last edited by GeeEss; 21-11-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Cannot upload required supporting images