Thread: Manual conversion for 3S-fe in TA22 ???

Forum Member

Default Manual conversion for 3S-fe in TA22 ???

So I've finally bit the bullet after meeting a TA22 I really like...

I think it is wise to mention I live in Thailand, and my left-hand drive Celica has a 3S-fe auto, which to me is an abomination. Pressing the gas doesn't do anything for the better part of a second, after which the engine downshifts and something "sort of" happens.

I would really like to convert the 3S-fe to manual, but wonder if that's the right way to go, or just swap to a more suitable engine with manual tranny.

Alternatively, I could do this in steps; first convert to manual, see if I like it, and if the car still lacks the response I am looking for, I upgrade to a 3S-BEAMS, for which there hopefully is a manual transmission that fits the 3S-fe as well.

I am not looking to create a speeddemon, but at the very least I want the car to back up its looks with all the TRD-stuff I've put on her.

So I'd be superhappy if you could tell me what manial transmission I should be looking for, and whether my line of thought makes sense, or whether the 3S-fe is an underperforming piece of crap that I need to get rid of ;-)

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Default Re: Manual conversion for 3S-fe in TA22 ???

Hi mate,
    Great to hear you have a special Celica in your life!

Since you mention the future possibility of a Beams I would look for the J160 6 speed gearbox that comes behind a beams as the kickoff for manual conversion. I believe it should bolt straight up. The box is then in place ready for a Beams later on!

You could alternatively go with the W55, W56 (hilux box), W57 or W58 using a 2S bell housing.

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Forum Member

Default Re: Manual conversion for 3S-fe in TA22 ???

Hi Jason,

1st off thanks for the perfect answer. I'll be reading up on that manual and try to find one here. Shouldn't be too hard; donor vehicles all over the place.
    And yes, there is a special Celica in my life now ;-)

Flying back to Bangkok next week to see where we are with the work that's been done so far, and take her past a couple of workshops to see waht they will quote for the conversion.

Thanks so much!

Sacha