Thread: RA28 Celica - 3sge Beams "blacktop" engine conversion

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default RA28 Celica - 3sge Beams "blacktop" engine conversion

Hey modders

I am in the process of creating my dream car and could use any advice from people who have done it before or know how to find the info.
    The car is located in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne and I am struggling to find a workshop that is known for good work to finish off what I have started. If you know of any great places please comment or pm me.

So far I have already done a full replacement of the suspension system to ensure it sticks to the road with the 50% power increase from a 18rg to a 3sge.
    As part of this ALL bushes were replaced and a large amount of the control arms, etc too.

What I am looking to get done from here (stuff I can't do in my tiny, under-equipped garage):
    - Upgrade the brakes without major modification or fabrication
    - Have looked at DBA's replacement parts but think greater stopping power will be needed (let me know if you think otherwise)
    - Fit the 3sge and J160 gearbox into the tunnel, preferably on the existing cross members (happy to switch them out but need to know what for)
    - Fit a nice exhaust system

Once this is done I will have a EFI 18-rg that I will be wanting to sell so If you interested in that PM me too

Cheers
    RA28 Celica + 3s-ge Beams "blacktop" = wet dream
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Default Re: RA28 Celica - 3sge Beams "blacktop" engine conversion

An easy engineered/engineerable bolt in brake upgrade would be the hoppers stoppers kit. If your looking at throwing money at it to get it done.
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Thanks for the info mate. However I have already put some 14inch MA61 rims on there meaning the kit wouldn't fit. Will see if they have a smaller option.

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

there are a heap of options available that will close to bolt in. ra65/mini/rx7 setup. pug/corona/hilux setup etc. Check out what the ae86 guys run or look at the worked over ta/ra celica build threads on here. Heaps around.

I'd suggest you'll want to upgrade the rear end too. Both to cope with the extra power and for disc/LSD etc.
    EP82 Starlet GT - [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/forum-members-rides/71090-stus-ep82-starlet-gt.html"[/URL] SOLD
    EP82 Starlet GT V2.0 - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...98#post1514198 SOLD
    The IS400, GXE10 with 1UZ - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...8-StuC-s-IS400

I have been talking some of the guys from the Jap Performance Part garage in England who built a TA27 show car with the beams engine (see build here). These guys know their stuff and they didn't mod that much of the running gear beyond the engine and transmission.

From what they said the brakes, steering and rear axle all remained fully stock. The only 'fully custom' piece was the transmission cross member. I have thought about it but the diff was rated to hold a lot more power than what the wheezing 18r-c or even the old tractor 18r-g was putting out.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

well look at the specs of a ra23 gt celica they come out with a F Series rear end in them std with 18rg motor from factory ,you will need a ta23 xmember to do the beams in your car

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Think seriously about larger diameter wheels.

Sure, the standard brakes work well enough (for values of well enough), but if you ever intend to be in a situation where you need to repeatedly brake from even moderate speed, factory brakes will quickly have you not stopping as desired. So if you ever plan to have a track day or even a nice hill run, get better brakes. Lots of options and not so hard to do.

14" rims do not offer a lot of choice.

T3 do an ae86 strut swap for ra23/28 and then you could throw on one of their ae86 big brakes kits (could be a hoppers kit for all I know).

Lots of people with the peugeot/hilux/corona front brake setup, although parts is getting rarer. Custom mount with any number of other calipers. Easy enough to measure up for clearance and get a local fabricator to make them up for you out of suitable material. I run rx-7 calipers on mine (courtesy of someone elses design work and fabrication), I think one guy runs an evo setup.

Classic Celica thread is your friend an also trawl the build threads. All of this stuff has been done before.

For now the car is just going to be a daily driver but thanks for the advice.

I'm doing this project in parts:
    - First I upgraded the handling of the car.
    - Now I'm upgrading the engine.
    - Soon I will be working on the aesthetics (interior and exterior)
    - Eventually (2-3 years) I plan to make it a monster. At that point there will be chassis rigidity improvements, big brakes, independent rear suspension and possibly a turbo system.

You're going to have to engineer it to get it on the road in Vic anyway dude. No engineer will sign off on that without a brake upgrade at least. May as well get it all done at the same time. Do it once, do it right
    EP82 Starlet GT - [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/forum-members-rides/71090-stus-ep82-starlet-gt.html"[/URL] SOLD
    EP82 Starlet GT V2.0 - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...98#post1514198 SOLD
    The IS400, GXE10 with 1UZ - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...8-StuC-s-IS400

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

I will echo above that you will need a brake upgrade to get your RA28 on the road with the beams motor legally.
    The hilux/pug/corona upgrade is a good one that will fit under 14" wheels (definitely fits under MA61 wheels), however as mentioned the parts can be hard to come by now.... in particular the brake rotors are not a common part any more and are proving more difficult to source. The struts are starting to command higher prices due to the AE86/KE70 crowd using them, but the calipers are still relatively cheap and common.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Just to back up what I said earlier - you're going from around a circa 100kw motor to a 147kw motor. Adding an extra 50% power. Even if you could scrape it though on piddly little brakes from the 70s, would you really want to? First upgrade I ever do on all of my cars is wheels/tyres, brakes and suspension. No use in having extra power if you cant stop, turn and get it all down safely.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Pagie84a's Avatar

Ive got ghey nissan brakes on the front u can get s13 turbo gear cheap as. Id go ke70 xmember and r&p while ur at it then u get ur front sump too

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Evo brakes for me. Minimum wheel diameter is 15". Check the link in my sig. You will need a TA23 crossmember then get onto KE conversions on facebook for the conversion mounts.

As for the diff, a rebuilt T series with TRD Zenki AE86 centre and some R31 skyline rear brakes would do you well assuming you have a bit of mechanical sympathy.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Forum Member

Can someone please tell me where the oil pressure sensor is located on the Altezza 3SGE Beams blacktop motor? I am not getting a reading on the oil pressure gauge so figure it's a faulty sensor??
    Cheers