Thread: MX22 Conversion/2JZGE & W58

Forum Member

Default MX22 Conversion/2JZGE & W58

Hi all MX22 fans,
    Hi guys and girls my name is Guy. It has been 25 years due to family duties and no extra cash since I last rebuilt(hotted up)cars. It was not a Toyota but a Ford XB coupe which was totally rebuilt. It was an absolute beast to drive at slow speeds as it had a Bathurst steering box in it but on the open road it was awesome. For sheer fun to drive though my Datsun 240k sedan was the best handling car of my youth. Got Tokico racing shocks and springs in Japan then fitted bigger sway bars and for the time it handled unbelievably. Loved it and thrashed it mercilessly. I am now just starting on a total rebuild of this MX22(build no. 0000156) and thought I would document it here for all to see. It is going to be totally pulled apart and given a few upgrades. Like 2JZge/W58, F series LS diff,bigger brakes,sports suspension,rack & pinion steering and a new interior.
    Am not able to work underneath the car so after trying to buy a rotisserie and deciding they were too expensive I decided to build one. Found some good plans free online and some cheap steel offcuts from a wholesaler and built it for $550 all up including the jacks,wheels and welding rods. It has been holding the car with engine and drive-train aloft for 3 weeks to test the structural integrity. Have to say I am very happy with it and now the donor JZA80 is totally stripped and awaiting the crusher man to take it away I can now reposition the MX22 under the block and tackle to gut it. Once that is done I will post more pics of the car on the rotisserie again.
    I have been reading a lot of posts on the various threads that I could find relating to different processes needed for success and I am aware of the hard yards ahead of me. I am in awe and also grateful of the knowledge everyone is willing to impart to other members. I joined some time ago but have only recently been approved(thx twentyeight). Simon sold me his MX22 so there will be 2 in the garage once the Supra goes. This one will be the beast and Simons which is an auto will be original.
    Well that's all for now.

Cheers Guy

Attachment 18361Attachment 18362Attachment 18363Attachment 18364Attachment 18365

Forum Member

Default Re: MX22 Conversion/2JZGE & W58

These got left out of the first post. Good pic of the rotisserie and the stripped Supra
    Cheers Guy
    MX22 Conversion 002.jpgMX22 Conversion 005.jpg

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

you really did strip that supra out haha

Forum Member

Yeh there wasn't much left except the rear diff and suspension cradle. Couldn't budge the mounting bolts so decided was going to be easier to get it out of the shed anyway so left it on. The diff was not an lsd anyway. The bloke that came to take it away wasn't happy as there was not much weight left in it. Would have left suspension and brakes on if it was 2jzge but this car was a gte converted to a ge for some reason. Those bits are in great condition and worth a bit of money. Have photos if anyone is interested.
    The other mx22 is now being stripped for paint and front brake and suspension upgrade. Only a small amount of rust in this one. Very easy compared to the other one rust wise. Just bumpers and a couple of small chrome bits to be redone but the rest of the bright work is in excellent condition. Hoping to have this one finished pretty quickly. My father bought this one for me but when it's finished I'm giving it to him to drive. Will post some pics when it's finished.