Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 4AGE Stroker kits

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGE Stroker kits

Buy a Haltech, wire that in, bolt on turbo, do skids

You dont need a knock sensor

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Yeah; great. . . You send me the $2500 and I'll order one 2nite; otherwise I'll pass.

PS: If I hear a resounding chorus of people shouting the e420D is a dog of an ECU then I'll look into it but my ECU has been on car < 5000km so I'm not flicking it unless there's a VG reason.
    Last edited by GeeEss; 26-04-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Your pissing in the wind doing it on factory management, its not a delco ECU

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Adaptronic right? No need for 'turbo sensor' which I assume is just a MAP sensor which your ECU already had. No 'need' for knock sensor either, I have never run one on any of my near dozen boosted engines. Just don't tune that close to the tagged edge.....no need for you mild needs anyways and you can run a super safe tune.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

OK Thanks. . . .

First things first; I'll install a WBO2 and get back to you. . .

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

If forced induction is back on the table, see my last post (http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...=1#post1598447)
    More reliable then turbo and cheaper
    (Search forum posts for "4AGTE fire", "4AGTE isn't on the road any more","4AGTE has melted half my engine bay")

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeeEss View Post
    OK Thanks. . . .

First things first; I'll install a WBO2 and get back to you. . .
    Yes. Do this. get something with serial output that can be plugged into the adaptronic like the innovate mtxl or a tech edge 2J9 etc

It sounds like you need to do a lot of reading up before embarking on this project. No offense but otherwise you are going to go down some wrong paths if you don't have an overall direction for the build before you start buying parts
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

OK; Ordered the 2J9 + LSU 4.9 + USB to RS232 adapter cable. It should arrive 2morrow (Tues).

Questions:

1. Power Cable

- Did you attach the Power Cable GND wire to steering bracket ground or run it to one of the main ground points near the battery?

- Did you run the Power Cable PWR wire through to Battery Terminal or did you splice into a constant +12V wire under the dash?

- You have to install an in-line 5A fuse on PWR line right? Did you locate it under dash or in engine bay near Battery?

2. Is it OK to install this thing and drive as-is / calibrate later or does it need to be calibrated immediately?
    Last edited by GeeEss; 27-04-2015 at 11:48 PM.

- You need a 2.5mm serial jack cable to connect to the adaptronic. If you just bought a RS232 D9 connector then you will need to buy an adapter like this: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...roductid=16189
    - Ground does not need to go to battery. Ground can go on any good bit of clean chassis
    - Don't just cut into any old wire ffs. This is how you find cars with rats nest wiring and electrical issues. You could overload the circuit of whatever circuit you choose and find you are constantly blowing fuses or you might kill some random part of your dash etc. Run a new wire from the battery.
    - Locate the fuse somewhere that isn't a **** to get at. Near the battery, under the dash, whatever floats your boat.
    - The 2J9 needs to be free air calibrated. This is clearly stated on the website. Do not run the sensor without free air calibrating or it will give you useless readings

Last but not least - rtfm: http://www.wbo2.com/2j/default.htm#manual
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....

I really wanted to install the WBO2 this weekend so not keen on waiting 10-14 days ex. USA. Don't any local vendors stock these?

I spoke to Peter at TechEdge; he said JayCar should have the components but that I'd need a schematic???

Plenty of local eBay stores stock Innovate widebands.
    When I bought my Innovate LC1 and MTX-L, they come from a place in QLD and took just two days for delivery.

Thanks Knightrous; ordered Innovate Serial Cable just now < from QLD Trader >.

PS: I hope the Techedge calibration instructions are idiot-proof. . . .

GS

If the TechEdge doesn't work out for you, check out the Spartan2 from 14point7.
    It's a super compact, low cost WB02 unit and doesn't require calibration.

http://www.14point7.com/products/spa...a-controller-2

Default Re: 4AGE Stroker kits - WBO2 sensor Installation & Calibration.

OK; I now have the required components but don't know how to set this thing up once its been installed.

< Yes I have looked at the Techedge information page & Sensor Positioning / Installation guide but it's not that easy to work out if you haven't done it before. . .; the information assumes a level of technical knowledge / understanding of WBO2 theory & operation that I just don't have. >

1. PHYSICAL iNSTALLATION:

Assuming the sensor positioning* is OK (running FGK extractors @ photos); I am (aside from below query) OK to physically install the Sensor

* Techedge Site states that WBO2 sensor should be at least 100 cm from exhaust valve and have at least 20cm of pipe after it; which it does. WBO2-to-Ex. Valve distance greater for Turbo but it should be OK as bung is AFAIK about 130-140 cm from flange.

QUERY: WBO2 Sensor cable is not sheathed on last 10mm of male side of connector (see Photo 3). Should I tape this up / push some Toyota Gasket goo into the rear of the connector?

2. CALIBRATION / SETUP:

Apart from air calibrating the Sensor & plugging it into the ECU's serial port; is there anything else I need to do? I.e. do I need to get into the Adaptronic WARI program & change any settings?

Attachment 18324Attachment 18325Attachment 18327
    Last edited by GeeEss; 03-05-2015 at 05:43 PM.

That distance is fine

Something to protect the end of that wiring on the connector is probably not a bad idea. Not a "must do" but definitely not a bad idea either.

Did you buy the sensor with the digital gauge? If so, then you can road tune without even connecting the wideband to the ecu. If not, you will need to interface with the adaptronic so that you can get an AFR readout through the tuning software. Connecting the wideband to the ecu also means you can do a datalog of your drives and review how the AFRs look under different driving conditions.You will of course need to configure the adaptronic to suit:

Open WARI
    Go to "special functions"
    Look down at "secondary serial port"
    Select "techedge WBO2 2J1" (the 2J9 uses the same protocol)

Now your E420D won't have auto tuning, but at least like this if you hit the live gauges button you will see a readout for AFR, and if you log a run it will give you AFR in a nice table alongside all your other engine parameters, which makes tracking down small issues much easier.