Thread: MX83 Series 2 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi Conversion issue.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question MX83 Series 2 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi Conversion issue.

Hey guys, just looking for some assistance with a few minor issues I'm having.

The main initial issue was the speedo wasn't working, and as the result the gearbox also wasn't shifting on it's own, but I have sorted that.

I am using a 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi engine out of a JZZ30 soarer (early 90's, I believe 1991). I was supposed to have the gearbox from the same car but was given one from a Supra (supposedly) instead.

The gearbox is a 30-40LE which I am told is another name for the A340E gearbox.

Having replaced the speedo sensors, the speedo now works, and the gearbox now shifts on it's own. It does sometimes do this slowly, but it does still do it. I'm waiting on a transmission service kit to come in which I'm hoping will help with the speed of the changes.

I'm using a 1JZ ECU (I believe from a soarer as well) which has had the capacitors replaced.

Effectively I have three issues I'm trying to fix:

1. When I turn on the car the ABS light turns off, as if it checks out. Shortly thereafter it turns back on and stays on, this doesn't seem to be linked to braking, but seems like there is a sensor issue. I'm told this could be due to the gearbox being changed. Does anyone know how to rectify this? I'm aware of the option to remove the bulb and forget about it, but if I can get the ABS working, seeing as all of the equipment is there, I would like to.
    2. Not straight away, but a little after turning on the car, the overdrive light starts flashing but not with any distinct trigger. I know this signifies an issue with the gearbox. I thought it might be warning me about the delayed gear changes, but I'm not sure if this is actually the case. Are there any ways to get an error code considering once I turn off the car the light resets?
    3. The cruise control does work, but it seems to fluctuate slightly and slowly. So if I set it at 110 then it goes up to 113 and then down to 108, sometimes settling on 110ish but usually not, it wasn't doing this before with the 7M-GE. It might go up to 112 or 113 previous, but it would stay there, so I would just engage it at 108 and it would settle on 110 or 111. I understand this is a small issue, but considering it's putting me right on the speed limit (as in the limit that I won't get fined for), I would like to fix it if possible.

Any help with any of these issues would be appreciated, thank you!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Default Re: MX83 Series 2 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi Conversion issue.

Pull the ABS globe, bit hazy, but getting it to work with a later auto requires much fuck around.....
    Shame TC.net is gone, was a big thread there on it.

i recently did a jzz30 1jz into an mx83, could never get the auto to shift on its own and it was known to be working fine prior. Ended up doing manual conversion lol

Indeed it is a pity.

I thought it might be worth tracking down a soarer ABS ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by Anon22 View Post
    i recently did a jzz30 1jz into an mx83, could never get the auto to shift on its own and it was known to be working fine prior. Ended up doing manual conversion lol
    A friend of mine did the same conversion and had the same problem.

The difference between us is I got mine wired by a guy with tonnes of experience haha.

I probably will go manual, but at a later stage when I have got money again haha.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I had the flashing OD light issue. Was wired by a professional. We ended up just removing the globe as he could not fix it.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

jzz30/jzx90 relies on either of 2 sensors for speed signal. the fact it would not shift unless the speedo was working tells me you are missing one. heres how it works:

there is a 2 wire reluctor sensor in the soarer extension housing, when you swap to the x8 extension housing that sensor needs to go where the ABS sensor was.
    the other is the 3 wire mechanical driven speedo sensor, the cluster sends out a 4pulse signal which the ecu will also use.

it is happy to work with either but if the 2 wire isnt hooked up the O/D light will flash.

the ABS issue, it CAN be made to wrok, but you need a signal modifier and honestly its not worth it as it sucks anyway, just remove the globe.

the cruise control: should work fine on the flat, but as soon as you get the slightest hill - it sucks.
    you have to remember its old tech and served its function but isn't as refined as new ones. if it's varying speed on the flat, then the diphragm inside it might be leaking.