Thread: EMS Stinger serial cable pinout

Strange ****** Grease Monkey wraith's Avatar

Default EMS Stinger serial cable pinout

Might be a bit of a stretch considering how old these are now... but anyone still on here that has an EMS serial cable? Didn't get one with this ECU and I can't get it to connect. Apparently the cable is some sort of null modem, was hoping to get someone to check continuity between pins so I can make my own or source an appropriate cable.

cheers
    Ash
    WTB- replacement titanium nuts to suit the squirrel on my Megaswarf 2300. Carbon fiber model, not the Chinese knockoff fiberglass.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: EMS Stinger serial cable pinout

I think it is an RS32 serial port cable... has been a while, I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's 9 pin RS232, certainly- which pin goes to which pin though, that is the question!
    WTB- replacement titanium nuts to suit the squirrel on my Megaswarf 2300. Carbon fiber model, not the Chinese knockoff fiberglass.

I popped the lid off my 4424 this morning, and had a bit of a probe around with the multimeter. There's a 16 pin SOIC close to the DB9 connector, and it probes out to be a MAX232 or equivalent- EMS have thoughtfully sanded off any identifying marks on all the ICs in this ECU. It appears only 3 pins are connected on the DB9, pin 2 goes to the chip RX, pin 3 to the chip TX, and pin 5 to ground. This checks out as being standard null modem.

Unfortunately, I still cannot get the Stinger 4 software to talk to the ECU. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

All sorted. It seems that despite the serial number checking out as being version 4, it will need a firmware update in order to connect to the V4 software. Odds on getting that are close to sweet FA, so I'm up and running with V3 software.