Thread: What 4x114.3 wheels are you running with the Nissan 4 pot big brake upgrade?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic patrickleslie's Avatar

Default What 4x114.3 wheels are you running with the Nissan 4 pot big brake upgrade?

Anyone with this upgrade and an early-mid 80s Celica, Supra, Soarer, Corona, whatever....what 4x114.3 wheels are you running that clear the calipers?

I'm in the process of doing the upgrade on my MA61, my temporary wheels will fit but I'm looking at nicer rims in the near future.

As far as I am aware, I need ~40mm clearance from the mounting face to the spoke face but so far I'm struggling to find that measurement on any catalogues.

Thanks!
    Last edited by patrickleslie; 06-02-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    - Patrick

* car blog here * Build thread about my MA61 * custom LED tail light write up here * diy tardis build here *

Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    Best looking Nissan Gazelle ever. Lol.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: What 4x114.3 wheels are you running with the Nissan 4 pot big brake upgrade?

You pretty much won't find that measurement in any catalogues.
    You might find some catalogues that will mention "clears supra big brakes, or skyline big brakes" but they will all be for 5 stud rims.

For 4 stud rims your selection will be very very limited. Your best bet (apart from trial fitting) will be to look at the design of the rim and look at the offset. Anything with minimal dish and close to 0 offset should clear the brakes (not a guarantee though). Things with dish will be very hard to tell from photos and specs.

Honestly, your best option is to convert to 5 stud (budget $500) and then get Falcon/Skyline/Supra/Soarer/etc rims. You'll have about 1000 times the choice.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Default Re: What 4x114.3 wheels are you running with the Nissan 4 pot big brake upgrade?

hey man, im running performance lotus rims on my ae86 with z32 calipers and 280mm disk. they are not the rims i would have choose, but they fit.

my plans are to buy stock ae86 struts and do the mazda 4 pot brakes instead, so i can run 15" rims.

with the mazda setup and you can run most rims.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of changing brakes, I need the R33 GTST Calipers and 296x32 discs for engineering. I found the perfect set of Autostrada Modenas but they won't clear without a small spacer and that's a big no no :'(

Looks like it might just have to be Rota Grids, or stay on the temp wheels for now then. Oh well.

If I go for the 5 stud swap I'm thinking that might limit my wheel choices even more as most 5 stud wheels are around the +30 offset when I need between -5 and +8 lol
    - Patrick

* car blog here * Build thread about my MA61 * custom LED tail light write up here * diy tardis build here *

Quote Originally Posted by patrickleslie View Post
    If I go for the 5 stud swap I'm thinking that might limit my wheel choices even more as most 5 stud wheels are around the +30 offset when I need between -5 and +8 lol
    Couldn't be more wrong!

Yes, most 'off the shelf' crappy rims will be that offset (designed for Camry, Magna, new Falcon's, etc etc) but those designs wouldn't suit an 80's Toyota anyway!

Ford used +6 to 0 offset all the way until the AU Falcon.
    Granted that a lot of these won't have been designed to clear big brakes, but there are quite a few that do.

Also, heaps of import rims have low offset as they were put on Japanese performance cars (easily +10 to -10 range).
    Many will be too wide though (11") but you should find heaps in 9" and 10"
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

11" is not too wide
    - Patrick

I'll have to look into the 5 stud conversion then, but that will have to wait a little while as I hadn't exactly budgeted for it. Might even have to do that after the engine -> rego is signed off anyway.
    - Patrick

These guys do some pretty cool wheels in ~0 offset, without the super high price tag.
    http://www.shop.cartel-aus.com/ALLOY-WHEELS_c26.htm
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Nevermind, might have answered my own question after clicking though all 115 pages of this thread lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrTechNIC View Post
    ROTA P45R
    17x9 +12
    17x9.5 +12

I DID put in spacers but for specific reasons:
    - front have 5mm, so they wheel is Flush with the fender.
    - rear 7mm, since I have a coil-over in the rear and its bigger than a simple shock I need to space it out not to have rubbing issues from wheel to coil-over.

Basically no spacer is required for a stock car.

It clears the BBK's.... easily!
    However...

Quote Originally Posted by flyjum View Post
    A 17x9 +15 has around 2 credit card thickness worth of space on the inside to the strut tube(from the wheel so if the tire sticks out more it will rub)
    17x9 +15 with 245 40 tires fit
    As far as rear goes I am not exactly sure.
    16x8+20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n 2jz View Post
    17x9+12 is 4.7mm closer to the strut when compared to 16x8+20 according to this: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...=%2B12#content

However, with the Nissan disc upgrade, the rotor is essentially a spacer. I haven't measured it (it's 2am in Australia) but it would be around 8mm

So that makes the 17x9+12 something like 17x9+4 which is 3.3mm further from the strut when compared to a 16x8+20 http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...2=%2B4#content

But then I found this whole thread: http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/ind...?topic=20262.0

235 on 9 +12 (not sticking out enough, but clear)
    I should note I am running SA63 struts in my MA61, so this will make the clearance more like that of a Celica rather than a Supra due to the king pin angle!

It is essential to keep my track measurement legal, as this car needs to go over the pits for registration of a 7MGTE engine swap.

More research is required...
    Last edited by patrickleslie; 10-02-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    - Patrick

Well after posting on Facebook I ended up speaking to a bloke named Evan with this car, it seems they DO fit quite nicely

Fronts 17x9 +12 with 225 or 235 tyres
    Rears 17x9.5 +12 with 275 tyres

And I found this after rescrolling through the thread this morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Rota p45r 17x9.5 +12

Needs spacers front and rear, front hits strut bar, used 3 or 4 washers to clear. Rear is still sucked too inward.

Sorry for the poop pictures

- Patrick

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

17x8.5 +4 Rota Rb. Nissan r33 calipers/BA falcon rotors (don't run r33 rotors with the spacers, it makes no sense) and celica struts. fits just fine. heaps of strut clearance and brake clearance.
    Last edited by CELICASUPRA7M; 14-02-2015 at 08:50 PM.
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra