Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VVT solenoid loom plug

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Default VVT solenoid loom plug

Anyone know where you can get a replacement loom plug that connects to the VVT solenoid?

I've got one for a Hyundai Elantra engine, but I know that the solenoid is the same part that Toyota use. They're in a really bad position being right above the exhaust manifold and therefore get heat effected & brittle.
    Hyundai want to sell the entire engine loom, and getting one of a wreck usually breaks just trying to unplug it

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: VVT solenoid loom plug

ask SamQ, i got a vvt plug off him for my 20v
    SHEPPO..

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

1 buy a bunch of broken toyota looms at wreckers. Cut all the connectors and sell them or use in your conversions. Some of the connectors will break, however most of wires will be ok.
    2 find "toyota harness repair manual" - it has part numbers for every connector, then order your connector just like you order any other toyota spare part. New connectors come as housings i.e. they don't have wires
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

If u post up a pic I might have up in my 100 lt drum of connectors

was trying to post a pic, but couldn't for some reason. Can you PM me an email address & I'll send it through.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

If it's the same as xJZ use then the part number is 90980-11162 and you should be able to get it from Toyota / Amayama...?
    http://www.amayama.com/search?q=90980-11162

Does it look like this?

FYI, most Toyota plugs have a 5 digit number molded into the connector. If you add 90980- to the front of the 5 digits that are molded on the connector, then that should be the Toyota part number. i.e. you can then go to Toyota with that number and ask them to order it

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Yes, the plug looks like the one you've shown, but doesn't need the extra tabs on the "diagonal".
    I'm also unsure about the locking tab, but it certainly looks a lot stronger than the Hyundai part (surprise, surprise...)

That central white part might also need to go, but that looks reasonably easy.

I might need to ask to plug my solenoid into someone's loom. It's off the car at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist View Post
    That central white part might also need to go, but that looks reasonably easy.
    The central white part pushes into the plug to lock the pins in position and prevent them from being removed FYI...

It is part of the plug. You want it.

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Last edited by wilbo666; 27-01-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

so it looks like that with just the 2 horizontal tabs on each side
    and no extra diagonal slides
    I have a 3uz loom here ill see if it has same plugs on it then ill go thru my box of plugs

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

I have these in stock:

http://www.sq-engineering.com/index....-position.html

what's missing is a pic and a description though. Mine look like the pic above but if my memory serves me correctly the sensor itself only uses 2 of the tabs out of the 4 in the housing, I can check.

the 2005 3uz loom im doing at moment has the same plug as wilbo posted for

vvti solenoid but tis black
    and crank angle sensor and its grey in colour

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

I have updated my page to have both a description and some pics if you want to double check.

Ok, so I finally got to a wrecker and managed to cut a plug off an 05 Yaris. It seems there were 2 different versions of the solenoid in the Hyundai, but the later one fits the toyota plug.

Any advice on how to pull the pins out of the plug without destroying it? I'd like to see if they're the same as the Hyundai ones, cos then I can leave my loom intact & just fit a new plug.

edit: never mind, figured it out.
    Last edited by wagonist; 05-07-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666 View Post
    If it's the same as xJZ use then the part number is 90980-11162 and you should be able to get it from Toyota / Amayama...?
    http://www.amayama.com/search?q=90980-11162

Does it look like this?

FYI, most Toyota plugs have a 5 digit number molded into the connector. If you add 90980- to the front of the 5 digits that are molded on the connector, then that should be the Toyota part number. i.e. you can then go to Toyota with that number and ask them to order it

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Alright, so Toyota don't sell the pins, it's part of the wiring loom. The quote number quoted is just for the plastic shell of the plug, which I've already got.

The Hyundai pins & the Toyota pins are different, and therefore the Hyundai pins won't lock into the Toyota plug...

Any advice on where I can buy the pins would be appreciated. If that means I need to buy the whole plug, then so be it.

If you are unable to get to a wreckers and simply cut off a plug that has the correct pins that you need then another option is to order the 'wire harness repair' pins that Toyota sell...

If you look through the Toyota Wire Harness Repair PDF, it details these pins, that come with a short length of wire. You will need to use a table (again in the PDF) which cross references to tell you which pins are required for which plugs...

Or I am sure there is also somewhere online that can sell you a complete plug+pins+water proofing grommet kit...

Cheers
    Wilbo