Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5MG(T)E into MS85 Crown

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 5MG(T)E into MS85 Crown

Hey all

So here is my project. I am putting a 5mge with a turbo from a 7mgte into my 1975 Toyota Crown MS85

The list of what has gone into it so far:

-Rebuild bottom end with 40thou oversized pistons that are ceramic coated
    -Head checked and new valves fitted. Performance valve lap on intake valves. Ceramic coated combustion chamber and exhaust port
    -7mgte oil pump from Driftmotion.com (moly coated gears and shimmed pressure relief valve)
    -Megasquirt Pro ECU
    -Speedhut gauges
    -Nolathane engine mounts
    -Rebuilt W40 gearbox

I still have a LONG way to go before its running as the engine and gearbox have only just been put back into the car. Many weekends of wiring and assembling and hours of googling in an effort to try and find parts are ahead of me. Haha! The joys of the old and unusual!
    The plan with it is to have a reliable and easy to drive car that will hopefully sound awesome too! I'm not out to make crazy power.

Some photos, cause you know, photos or it never happened!

Before I started pulling it apart! haha. Well before the 4m decided to fail.

Shiny goodness!

Gauges

This is where I am up to.

Default Re: 5MG(T)E into MS85 Crown

So last night I cleaned the intake manifold and smoothed out the internals of the runners with a beadblaster at work.
    I fitted the exhaust and intake manifolds today and dumm fitted the cam towers and turbo haha

no backyard Domestic Engineer japlish's Avatar

looking good so far mate, are you sure that the W40 is going to last? I cant see it being too happy behind that motor in that weight car?..........just a thought
    Destroyer of 'Drop Forged' spanners

Well I'm not expecting a great deal of power. I'm looking for about 200hp and 300nm. (Only going to run 7psi) With sensible driving the W40 will hold up fine.
    So after the run in period with the engine then we will see how it goes haha. The reason I used it is purely because I had it already and knew it was in good condition before it was re-built.

So I have been exceptionally lazy lately and have done nothing productive on the car. Haha.
    I have however collected a few parts to help when it A) finally stops raining, and B) I can get enough motivation to do anything

I have;
    My cams back from Tighe Cams (Got them reground at around a 262 duration)
    All new lifters and rocker arms
    Adjustable cam gears (JUN motorsport)

Got a few other odds and ends that don't need mentioning.
    I also got around to cleaning and painting the rocker covers

Up next will be the intake and fuel system I think.

Cams are now fitted to the head YAY!!
    Just need to fit the cam gears, timing belt and covers then the engine is all together. Just need to do all the bolt on bits haha.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Subscribing for interest in turbo'd Crowns.

I too have many many doubts about the life of the W40. I killed a few W58's behind my 7M with only factory gate pressure.

Can't wait to see the speed hutt gauges installed there are an awesome product.
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

this is a cool build! should start a members ride thread
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

We will see how the W40 goes Fingers Crossed haha!! Not fussed if it does fail though.
    Have you got Speedhut gauges in your Crown TheStitt? Also what happened to toyotacrowncentral.com?
    Got the timing belt on today. Realised I cannot find the bolts for the cam gears. D:

yeah man I have speed hutt gauges in mine. Took me ages to find a gauge that was the right size to fit in the dash and didn't go to 10grand. Thanks Auto meter, it seems apart from speed gauges if you want a 4.5 gauge you must own a rotor.

I have 6 gauges there are pictures in my thread. I made use of the GPS speedo to get one more cable/wire out of my engine bay...

I would suspect the guy that bought Crown Central from AJ didn't pay the hosting fees.

Looking boss. I love the big V timing cover.

Stitt

Yeah I also got the gps speedo just because it is heaps easier to set up. Can't wait to get them into the car to see how they look all mounted up.

I do remember looking through your post about your car on crowncentral. I was very impressed!

thanks damo, there is a better write up on this forum

Just remeber the GPS speedo doesn't like bridges, tunnels and sometimes high rise cities.. I have no idea on the legality either.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Looks good man...nice and clean. Go the turbo crowns! I have 7mgte ms123 sedan...currently busted motor. Searching for another engine to drop in. This may have inspired me to get cracking on it again!

TheStitt, I realise that the GPS speedo could be a bit of a shit but I did drive the car with no speedo (cable snapped) for half a year and never got a speeding fine so I should be fine I was wondering if I could pick your brain a bit more. The diff in my Crown, the manual says its a 7inch which I am willing to believe. I want a much taller ratio for highway driving because with the 4 speed and the smaller wheels it does love the revs. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of getting new gears (I have furiously googled but the best I can find is 3.9). Also do you know if an airlocker out of a certain model hilux (can't remember model) will fit. Just thinking... haha
    I had a look at the thread on your car, well by look I mean quickly scroll through the lot and look at the pics, I'm crazy impressed though!
    Lampoon, Crowns are rare enough to see on the road, let alone a turbo one!! All the more reason to get it on the road again

what is your diff code? I would assume F then 3 digits.

if so the lowest factory ratio I have found is 3.58. Most lockers from Hiluxs can be fitted as the lux had F series in the front.
    When I was f series I ran a True trak (as I do with my G series now)

there is a few pics in my thread hehehe

thanks Its how I want it

Stitt