Thread: RN41 Fuel pump swap (Manual - Electric)

Forum Member

Default RN41 Fuel pump swap (Manual - Electric)

Make: Toyota

Model: Hilux RN41 (2WD Long bed)

Engine: 18R-c

Hey all,

Okay so i have an RN41 Hilux and am have issues with it, it starts fine and runs fine for a while but on occasions, more than I'd like it will shutter under load and then want to stall, has anyone had this same issue?

I have changed points and correctly gapped them, cleaned up the plugs (seem too be in good cond, will swap out soon) changed the coil, checked the resistance on the leads, cleaned any build up on the rotor button and dizzy cap but it still seems to do it.

The engine has a mechanical fuel pump an the side of the block (Image A)
    Now my question is, Can i swap this out for an electric in line pump (image B)
    Make up a blanking plate and cover the old mechanical pump location off?

Image A

mu75BprxmtTY7Vdz5ltmyNA.jpg

Image B

pump3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Ben

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: RN41 Fuel pump swap (Manual - Electric)

the answer to your question is yes.
    BUT just replace the mechanical pump
    2009 aurion
    Purple 2000 Hilux - 1UZ

assembly is just the opposite of disassembly - just you swear in different spots!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Yes you can. Just don't use the transformer type pump, they make rattling noise and annoys you, know from experience in my former rally car. Better off paying extra and getting low pressure rotary pump, such as carter for example.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

As has been said I would just fit another mechanical pump on as its going to be a lot quicker & easier to do & will do the job fine, that's if it is a fuel pump supply issue to start with, it sounds like it is but really you need to do some more research first ..

So there are 2 things to check one is find your self a good LONG hill & attack it fairly hard in say 3rd gear & when it starts to stutter badly shut the car down straight away & roll to a stop & check the sight glass on the front of the carburettor bowl if its a fuel supply issue the fuel will be very very low in that window if you can even see it at all .. And if its way low it sounds like you have a supply issue the next thing is to check there should be a fuel strainer inside the fitting of the fuel line into the carb, make sure that it is clean as that will play a big part if it not clean & also you can do a flow test but you need T pieces etc to do it & from memory the 18R has all metal lines running up the carb from the fuel so not that easy to do ..

Forum Member

Hey all and thanks so much for all of your input.

Before i changed the fuel pump i thought i would give the fuel system a clean out and see how we went from there, i used Wynns fuel system cleaner for the past 2 servo visits and have got through the whole bottle, i know i know over kill right? well after the first does it seemed to make a drastic improve to the issue some what so i thought i would use the rest of the bottle and see if i could rid the system of any other garbage.

it makes sense to me now as the previous owner was an elderly lady who used to drive it from one car park to the car park in front and reverse it back again to keep the engine running, the only time it got an okay drive was when the mechanic came to service it...

so in short it seems to running really good now, it had a slight fit the other day as i pulled of the motorway but i gave it a bit of a rev with the clutch in and it was fine after that.

I have brought a second carb and a service kit to put through it, new gaskets, jets and floats, while i am there i will check all the intake and polution gear and see if any of it needs attention.

Thanks all again