Thread: Best ignition setup for suck though turbo setup

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

Default Best ignition setup for suck though turbo setup

Ive been stuck on ignition upgrades for my 3tc turbo, ive replaced points with an accuspark electonic pickup in the dizzy and now im after an ignition module, ive been looking at the MSD BTM for a while because its the only one i know of that can retard the timing on boost, but paying $600 seems a little too much, are there any other cheaper/better alternatives?

Cheers,
    Callum

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default Re: Best ignition setup for suck though turbo setup

I ran a mallory ignition box on my corolla when it was running the 1g on gas, It was about 800 i think though, but that was many years ago now, may be much cheaper these days?

It did a great job...
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

My mate put a turbo on a 1100cc mini motor, blew it to smithereens but he used a megajolt with a trigger wheel off the crank which worked mint.
    The suck through carby setup was a fucking abortion full of problems however.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

Megajolt for shiz. Cheap, heaps of adjustment, switchable outputs, supports multicoils and shit, uses ford stuff so you can grab stuff from the wreckers. Cant beat them for the price
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

well ive started to rebuild the original 2t to put back into celica so i can convert this turbo motor to a proper/normal FI setup, im gonna buy the MSD 6al for the 2t but once ive got the 3tc up and running it will have a crank trigger setup and all the modern stuff to go with it, could i still run the 6al along with a standalone timing control or would it be smart to get a megasquirt/microtech/megajolt/haltech/wolf3d ecu and ditch the 6al and the timing control, or can i run all 3?

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by ctrain View Post
    well ive started to rebuild the original 2t to put back into celica so i can convert this turbo motor to a proper/normal FI setup, im gonna buy the MSD 6al for the 2t but once ive got the 3tc up and running it will have a crank trigger setup and all the modern stuff to go with it, could i still run the 6al along with a standalone timing control or would it be smart to get a megasquirt/microtech/megajolt/haltech/wolf3d ecu and ditch the 6al and the timing control, or can i run all 3?
    Me thinks there is some misunderstanding going on................
    The MSD 6AL, even tho MSD call (misleadingly) it an ignition controller, is just a Capacitive Discharge Ignition module with a built in rev limiter. The when and where of the engine's ignition timing, still needs to be determined by the distributors weights, springs and if it's fitted, vacuum advance unit.

Along the same lines, crank triggers/crank angle sensors don't do any ignition timing control. They tell the engine management system where the engine is in it's 360* position. The computer determines when to trigger the ignition module(s) based on the CAS and other sensors (MAP sensor or AFM/MAF).

As far as I can tell, you can't trigger an MSD 6AL with the typical 5 volt ignition module signal from an ECU. Ask MSD if you can, if you plan to go that way.
    The Megajolt definitely won't work with the MSD, it's communication with the ignition module is very different to the typical output of most programmable ECUs.

Being able to accurately control the ignition timing in any rev/load/inlet air temperature combination, is what is critical for any engine. But turbo'd engines benefit enormously from it. Drivability, safety and outright power are all improved, when you have control of your ignition timing.
    Carbies are shite! But archaic ignition timing control means, on a force fed engine is worse!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

if you are going as far as ignition controllers, you might aswell run injection too, even if its just throttle body injection, it will still be better than blow through carby, and more reliable.
    then you will also have the benifit of more exact timing control as Duk mentioned, its based on engine position and at least 1 load sensor, not just engine speed and how much vacuum you have.

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

No reason why youn cant run a full ECU like and older model Link ECU etc and just not use the injection side,
    then you will have full control of programming the timing.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Cheap MegaSquirt kit without the injectors setup will be cheap and effective. Leaves heaps of I/O's for controlling things like thermo fans, boost control, rev limiters, 2/3-step etc etc.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

personally if you are going to go to the trouble of runing cranck angle sensors i would just get an older haltech or somthing and just run a basic efi setup..... ive done the carby turbo 3tc and im very happy im not running a basic efi setup. so much easyer to tune
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car