Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1jzgte into 1968 RS56 Crown Ute

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 1jzgte into 1968 RS56 Crown Ute

I bought the car off these forums a few years back. Have slowly been working on it and thought it may be time to create a thread. It may help with my enthusiasm!!

As i bought it:

Some details from the sale thread:

1968 RS56J Crown ute,
    All rust removed, body is now painted in GM chassis black mixed with straight black tinters.
    Engine sitting on mounts in engine bay, is a 1JZ-GTE,
    Gearbox Soarer auto,
    Front brakes MS112 discs,
    Rear brakes JZA70 disc, with internal drum handbrake,
    Live axle assembly is from a HiLux.
    Every balljoint and bushing in the suspension has been replaced with new items.
    The leaf springs have been totally dismantled, cleaned repainted and reassembled, with new bushes up front and new bushes on the shackles.

The interior has been retrimmed with new hoodlining, bench seat recovered, with matching door cards, new carpet, and underfelt.
    New lapsash seat belts for driver and passenger, and a lap belt for the centre passenger.
    All window seals with the exception of the qtr glass wind out windows have been replaced.
    there are new door seals fitted.

The wiring to the engine needs to be completed,
    The engine will require a JZ131 sump, to clear the steering drag link.
    An intercooler and piping will have to be sourced and fitted,
    Fuel pumps and lines will also be required.
    Brake cables and brake lines will have to be made and fitted.
    There is an MS112 brake booster and master cylinder fitted, as is a modified pedal box.

The ute bed has been sprayed with a spray on 2PAK bed liner material, looks almost like a plastic drop in tray liner.

Default Re: 1jzgte into 1968 RS56 Crown Ute

This is the brand new sump purchased through Amayama.

Upon installing the motor with the new sump I noticed that the engine was sitting crooked and the clearance to the passenger side control arm pick up point on the chassis was non-existent. So pulled the motor again and set about fixing it. I made new engine mounts and modified the chassis mounts to provide more clearance. The motor now sat true and i had good clearance all round. Pics don't show it that clearly...just included so you can see that I deleted the oil level sensor (on passenger side) and made a alloy plate to cover the hole that it left.

Driver side

Passenger Side

Got a little ahead of myself. Wanted to create a list of jobs to do (more as a checklist for myself):

-The wiring to the engine needs to be completed,
    -The engine will require a JZ131 sump, to clear the steering drag link. DONE
    -An intercooler and piping will have to be sourced and fitted,
    -Fuel pumps and lines will also be required.
    -Brake cables and brake lines will have to be made and fitted.
    -Throw a spanner over the whole car as most bolts are loosely fitted
    Last edited by Lampoon; 05-02-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Need to source the following parts:
    - Intercooler DONE - mate gave me his intercooler from EVO8 - should be up to the job i want it to do.
    - Radiator DONE - went for the alloy 200SX radiator that has been done numerous times before for these series of Crowns
    - Tail Lights DONE
    - Rear Bumper (have one, that needs straightening)
    - Alloy trims that sit behind the b-pillar
    - Stainless trims that run down the side of the car
    - Column shift mechanism
    - Good dash and steering wheel

If anybody is able to help with parts or point me in the direction of them it would be greatly appreciated.

After getting the motor sitting true my attention turned to the lack of space between the rear turbo and the steering box and brake booster/master. Around the same time a Trust (?) manifold and Garrett GT3076r turbo with the 0.63 housing came up at a price too good to refuse. Going down this path would provide the extra room i needed to clear the steering box and brake booster it.

From my research this turbo is going to provide the quick spool for the low down response i am after as the ute will be used as a tow vehicle for my race car. This thread i found helpful in making my decision: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...ock-ecu-2.html

Unfortunately, i didn't grab any pics of the motor in the bay with the standard turbos. This is what it looked like when first trial fitted:

Things to notice are the proximity of the exhaust housing to master cylinder still and the orientation of the brake lines from the master cylinder. This is with the MS112 brake master fitted.

The solution to this problem was to source a brake master and booster from a Hilux (unsure of the model). The advantage is that the booster is smaller in diameter, the whole setup is much shorter, the outlets for the brake lines is on the opposite side and it bolted into place. I will still give it some thermal protection...but it is 100 times better than before. Here is what it looks like now:

Next little problem was fitting of an extetrnal waste gate to the exhaust manifold. The manifold was from a Soarer so obvioulsy not suited to the Crowns engine bay and they external gate would have required a nice hole in the chassis. After a bit of modifcation the external gate was plumbed in nice and low and will be an easy job to plumb it back into the dump pipe when the time comes.

Jobs that have been done that i don't have photos for cos they are not that exciting were making the brake lines and running the new fuel line from the tank to the engine bay. Original line was left in place to be the return line. Although, I am concerned about blockage given the state the fuel tank was in. More on that later.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Subscribing, nice to see this old beast getting some love.

Can I ask what the sump cost?
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

From memory it set me back around $1400...unfortunately I couldn't afford (in terms of timing) to wait around to try and find a cheaper second hand one.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

This is going to be sweet. Subscribed!

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jaffa's Avatar

Great to see this project on its way.
    I seriously considered this when it came up for sale but it was in too good of a condition for the amount of cutting and shunting I wanted to do so I tracked down another.

Looking forward to following this thread.

PS if you not using the side trims I'd be interested, I'm missing the driver rear.

Hey Jaffa...unfortunately there were no side trims when i got the car...i have been trying to track some down to re-fit to the car.

I don't have the skills you have...but I am keen to learn as i go and hopefully produce a pretty cool machine.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice psi1uz's Avatar

Any chance of getting a pic from underneath of the sump in relation to the drag link?