Thread: Remove fuel restrictor - questions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Remove fuel restrictor - questions

Hi guys, having an issue with the soarer.

I think the restrictor seal is leaking, and I'm leaking fuel (I think) out the lid all the way down to my exhaust.

Here is a link to 3 pics of my fuel thingo.
    http://imgur.com/nLFVU3B,sDwCixr,RzLOXd3

Here is another post I made on another forum, it's more in depth:
    http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1409818820

Got a few questions:

1. Can I just take the restrictor out - and will the cap just screw back on as normal to the outer pipe the restrictor sits in with no leaks?

2. Are there any issues with removing the fuel restrictor completely - and is it simply just a 'remove restrictor and screw cap back on' kind of job?

3. If cap won't fit when restrictor has been taken out - Where can I find a cap that will? - anyone got one?

This was the plan: http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...39/149125.html .
    The restrictor is not leaking however. completely dry around seals - random Toyota mechanic also stated it is not the restrictor.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by pearl_white; 04-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Default Re: Remove fuel restrictor - questions

Hi again - So took the Soarer to local mechanic and he said:
    Fuel cap looks good - restrictors rarely leak - and yours looks fine (as there was no leak).
    When i got back home i noticed a ring of liquid where the rubber grommet touches the fuel tube.

He said it's possibly fuel vapor from a corroded rubber line or something, but would charge 200 or so minimum to drop tank and check it out - if that's even the issue.

Is it likely that I do have the wrong fuel cap? It looks the same as another 3 soarer fuel caps i've seen - but i've read that sometimes on compliance they give you an identical looking toyota fuelcap, but is infact wrong. Thread might be too long or what not...
    My cap clicks 3+ times. O-ring looks great. You can wiggle cap a little once on.

If someone could show me a pic of their GENUINE v8 soarer fuel cap (not something given after compliance or similar) - that'd be great.
    I'd be after a pic of the top, and the thread.

I have no idea what can cause this reflux of fuel or whatever it is causing streaks down my fuel lid...

Any links or info much appreciated
    Last edited by pearl_white; 04-09-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

You ask a question & then give a good link reference to a fix which is almost 100% the answer to your problem & then ask the same question again a couple of hours later !! & then say you have "NO IDEA" what is causing the fuel leak !!!!!!! Are you serious ...

In my opinion this is ONE of the reasons why you got hassled on Soarer Central too ..

You can see in the link you posted that the threaded section is in the restrictor & so if you take it out the cap is just going to fall off ..
    Last edited by lexsmaz; 04-09-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexsmaz View Post
    You ask a question & then give a good link reference to a fix which is almost 100% the answer to your problem & then ask the same question again a couple of hours later !! & then say you have "NO IDEA" what is causing the fuel leak !!!!!!! Are you serious ...

In my opinion this is ONE of the reasons why you got hassled on Soarer Central too ..

You can see in the link you posted that the threaded section is in the restrictor & so if you take it out the cap is just going to fall off ..

As mentioned, restrictor was not the problem.

Rob, can i get your Email addy?

I need a mechanic who knows wtf they are doing with this car.
    I've spent 1k on nothing so far.

If you're willing to have a look, or have a number of somebody who can - and stop these posts for good, that'd be great.
    You seem to be in the know.

I really have much better things to be doing then sitting on a computer posting about shit which shouldn't happen every day.
    Last edited by pearl_white; 04-09-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Pretty sure it's fuel now.
    Car was bone dry inside the flap when i went out before - and had a few streaks when I just got back (10 mins ago).

No sign of any leak from the restrictor itself.
    Cap looks to be in 100% condition.
    Last edited by pearl_white; 04-09-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Rob,

I don't like being overly Blunt on these Forums, but I think you need to try the fix on the fuel restrictor first before you start spouting off that its not it, as there is only the fuel cap or the restrictor that is going to cause the problems you are talking about to get fuel coming out at the neck ..

You could try another cap but the common problem seems to be the fuel restrictor leaking ..

You could maybe try & put some talcum powder all around the top of the filler neck & also around the seal for the fuel cap & then take it for a Short drive & see where the powder is washed away from & I think you ask why is it happening the problem is that with a full tank the fuel is pushed up against the inside of the filler neck when cornering etc & if there is a problem with a seal out comes the fuel ..

Hi, thanks for your replies.
    I have fixed the issue with fuel leak.

The issue was the cap not sealing properly after the first click.
    This suggests that the restrictors thread where the gas cap screws in is 'wonky' as the cap itself looks fine.
    The cap seemed to seal fine all along, clicked and so on. No different to a non Soarer.
    Had a slight wiggle however after put on.

2 mechanics said this is fine when they looked at it - and they were TOYOTA mechanics also.
    Absolutely useless if i may say so myself.

If i put the cap in and apply pressure after the first click, and click it a second time - it seems to fit snug, with no wiggle at all.

So, i appreciate all your help, but as it turns out it was NOT the restrictor seal, but rather the thread inside of it instead.
    As of now, petrol cap is on 'properly' and does not wiggle. I plan to take a wild ride on the way home to be extra sure it's fine.

- Sorry about the runaround guys, I love this car and have read so much nonsense around the internet about it + i have a lack of cash for this thing, so have been trying to find as many things as possible which could cause my issues - things i could repair myself as such.

So - to recap:

It was the fuel cap, not the restrictor seal leaking.
    Fuel cap seemed to fit - but when on, would wiggle a few mils either side if moved by hand.
    After reapplying the cap with pressure after the first click (not before), the cap is now snug and won't move at all.

So, thanks again

Will update when home!

Much appreciated.
    Last edited by pearl_white; 11-09-2014 at 02:04 PM.

I shouldn't get drawn into this !!!

So from what you are saying Rob, you haven't actually Driven the car since "your fix" & if that the case I feel you are definitely jumping the gun, hopefully its better but i would doubt it & the looseness is most probably in the head / ratchet part of the cap that you are feeling & when you test it on the way home make sure you have a full fuel tank otherwise the results will not count ..
    Last edited by lexsmaz; 11-09-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexsmaz View Post
    I shouldn't get drawn into this !!!

So from what you are saying Rob, you haven't actually Driven the car since "your fix" & if that the case I feel you are definitely jumping the gun.

Hi again Rob,
    Basically, i figured I'd post the fix as i knew that the cap was the issue once it actually sealed properly.
    Seemed to be an issue with the thread of the restrictor or similar, which when clicked, would 'pop the cap off the thread'.
    It was the cap all along, as suspected.
    Refueled with 50 liters (had 20 or so in there) and drove home.
    100km run, city, freeway.
    Was a bit frisky.

Not a single leak or spray from the petrol lid area. The grommet holding fuel filler thing is dry as a bone.
    Got home - no more leaking!

So, after 2 mechanics and a few random guys looked at it - all confirmed it was 100% fine by the way.
    It took a local gardener to be interested in my car which he claimed to have no idea what it even was, nor has he ever seen one in his life, to listen to my petrol tank tale and realize the thing's not sealing.
    He opened tank, pulled cap off, said it's fine, put the cap on, clicked it once - and said "aaaah, there's the issue - It wiggles".
    He then applied pressure after the first click - and it sealed properly with no more wiggle.
    This was crazy. Some 70 year old local gardener with no idea about cars - got the leak fixed.

(I claimed i fixed the cap myself, or hinted at it as such in my previous post, but no - that was him. I simply just know how to do it now,lol.)

So, turns out it wasn't sealing properly. Now it does.
    I seem to have gained a little 'take off power' also (but unsure if unrelated or my imagination or so on... Could even be the ecu retuning on the fly as I was being frisky.)

To recap:
    6 or so people looked at it thinking the cap is fine. It clicks, thus it must have sealed they claimed. The wiggle is irrelevant they claimed.
    2 mechanics from Toyota looked at it and said the above as well.
    Fuel cap seemed to be sealing fine - and would click and click and click.
    After it clicked, it would seem to be on properly but it would wiggle around 1-5mm either side. Everyone thought this was normal. It was not.
    Cap now seals without any wiggling if applying pressure whilst turning, and it clicks. It fits good, like a sauce bottle lid.
    No more leaks.

I assume the restrictor thread is warped or something. Tried two other Soarer caps, both had same issue. My cap seems to be the same as everyone elses also...

Thanks again
    Last edited by pearl_white; 11-09-2014 at 06:01 PM.

So - after all that, it started leaking again today.

-_____-

Now it's the fuel restrictor itself - not the cap.
    Leak is coming up through the old sealant, causing a minor leak down the side of car.
    Probably happens when taking a sharp left with a tank filled up over half way.

So - I'll be doing that restrictor fix tomorrow...
    Sigh, it's always something with this car... Always minor - but always something.

Anyway, will update post once fixed again.

(To make the post clear - the first leak issue as posted above, was not the same as this current issue).

Speaking of -

How would i go about finding a cap which fits the tube once restrictor is out completely?
    The restrictor has a thread which the cap screws in to. Once it's out, how would a cap screw in or what not?
    What kind of cap would I be after?

- currently debating to put it back in, or keep it out (if i can) -

Thanks!

Ok new question.
    Bought two things!

One is a radiator and petrol tank two part epoxy. You mash it together and it sets like gum. You then squash it over holes or what not and it sets like concrete.
    The other thing is a marine grade silicon thing. It is petrol resistant and blah blah.

Now, my question is this:

Do I have to remove the fuel filler restrictor from the car, clean off the old cement stuff, then apply new epoxy and squash the restrictor back in to the filler neck,
    Or can i just use the silicon directly on top of the restrictor around the ring where it meets the fuel filler tube without taking it out of the filler neck itself?

Thanks
    Last edited by pearl_white; 06-10-2014 at 04:35 PM.