Thread: 1uz into mx73 and r series gearbox

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default The UZX73, 1uz into mx73 and r151

been a on going project for a while, so the first few posts may seem like im realy productive but in reality i have had it since the start of the year

picked this up today for 300 bucks, needs paint job and new fuel tank (full of rust). 180,000kms, 2 owners, pretty much complete service history, new auto in 99, pretty tidy inside, power windows and mirrors.

picked this up a few weeks ago cheep as chips

and its fitted with this

so i already have a good, fast, comfortable, very capable 4x4 and the surf would be fair bit of work to get back to roady/ok condition. so the 1uz is going to find its way into the cressida for some driftage.

plans for cressy:
    respray (toying with doing same color up top and going a dark blue two tone?)
    rego
    1uz and r series gearbox thanks to adapter already in surf (maybe even aftermarket ecu, adaptronic?)
    big brakes
    modplate
    coil overs from my rt142
    camber adjustable rear subframe also from my rt142
    weld diff or lsd of sorts
    Last edited by maccac__1590; 21-10-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Default Re: 1uz into mx73 and r series gearbox

photos are of different sides of the boot

got her all wet sanded and polished, can now see a few dodgy spots that i wish i spent a bit more time in prep and playing with the spray pattern and how wet the coat was (some parts ended up a bit dry and rough), but for a first time backyard job its not too bad

out comes the might 5m, for sales if anyone is silly enough, recond head and auto, make a offer would much rather see it go to use than me take it to the dump

1uz is out of the surf in in the shed, then i discover this

had abloke try to tig it up but no dice, kept cracking right above the weld, so devcon to the rescue

all mated up to a r151 2wd hilux gearbox that i picked up for $450!!!! was looking for a r154 but at this price who cares about the ratios haha also same imput shaft lenght as the early r151f in the surfs (160mm i think). also has new rear main, timing belt, water pump, plugs, leads, rotor buttons, caps, checked valve clearences, they ok, some a bit more gap than spec but at least they arnt rideing haha

modded the xcessive manufacturing LHD clutch pedal
    std

bent

cut a slither out

elongated a hole and had to space it down a bit

and hey presto, might need to lengthen it a little bit but seems ok for now

all ready to go

sitting on xcessive manufacturing engine mounts and trany mount

would have liked a r154 for the remote shifter option, and cant slide engine back any further due to brake booster and clutch master ohh well grinder fixes that haha

wiring and with hilux shifter

and thats it for now, tail shaft is being made, have allredy silver soldered up some fittings to make the fuel system work as well as the power steering, need to plumb up heater and radiator, finish wirings, install tailshaft, make/get exhaust made, swap susspension from rona over and matsuri hear we come haha

power steering cooler

remote oil filter using bullet adaptor block and aeroflow remote filter head and an-10 lines

now the current issue, how to get the spedo to work, this is what im faced with, mechanical pick up vs the 06 hilux electric speed sensor

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

U can buy electric to mechanical speedo converters
    But they r not cheap
    Maybe look at some early fwd corollas as they might have the larger size speedo drive to suit a cable

found that cable spedo (early) 80 series landcrusier, like mine, have the correct size dodad to go in the new lux box, got hold of a spare one and swaped the gears over on the shafts and she reads about 20% over, so at 100km/h buy gps the speedo is doing 120.

anywho more pics below, so got her all going, swaped old coilovers from me rt142 in and springs and welded diff, swaped subframe mounts and went for a shakedown at qr matsuri

thanks to the photographers for posting on face book

and a little vid, pretty ordanary driving but my excuses are first time driving the car in vane, shitty wheel aligment and fastest i have tried to drift haha

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Not a bad effort the speed & style looked pretty good to me, you will have people thinking 1uz's have lot's of grunt

Those seat back's take a bit of pounding, I'm waiting for something to break there ..

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

Id be interested in the hilux speed sender if you didn't end up using it
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

So updates since last years drift matsuri:
    Shitloads of driving, done almost 8,000kms, only problem was walbro fuel pump died, replaced with standard (still keeps up to pressure all the way to limiter surprisingly)
    New springs 11kg/mm front and 10 rear
    T3 steering arms and tie rod ends
    Cheep repco "race" seats, hangs on a million times better than the standard couches.
    RA65 rear subframe, bolts up to mx73 chassis but control arm mounts are 40 mm narrower (20mm either side), modified outside mount so camber can be adjusted and now i can get 15 x 8 0 offset to fit the guards with no camber
    Modplate and plates and vintage rego hehehe
    few new pics and video to come

EDIT: video
    Last edited by maccac__1590; 21-10-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by maccac__1590 View Post
    found that cable spedo (early) 80 series landcrusier, like mine, have the correct size dodad to go in the new lux box, got hold of a spare one and swaped the gears over on the shafts and she reads about 20% over, so at 100km/h buy gps the speedo is doing 120.

anywho more pics below, so got her all going, swaped old coilovers from me rt142 in and springs and welded diff, swaped subframe mounts and went for a shakedown at qr matsuri
    Love the car man, nice setup! What front brakes are you running and any mods to fit them?

cheers mate, its been a fun build with a pretty good result i think. they are jzx81 (factory 1jzgte) rotors and calipers, had to re-drill rotors to 4 stud, machine x73 hubs to fit inside rotor, the rotor centers itself on the center of the hub, slightly longer wheel studs from a hilux i think and not necessary but i made up a 1~2mm spacer to put behind the wheel bearing to get the rotor to run central in the caliper, otherwise it rubbed on the caliper on one side, probably could have gotten away with it with old rotors but new ones were no good

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Cool, nice work. Good to hear how you got it all to work