Thread: ta22 diff conversion

Forum Member

Default ta22 diff conversion

Hi all
    Im only new to this page so bare with me. Ill give you a quick rundown on my car and then my question...
    I have a ta22 celica with 13b turbo, supra 5 speed and 6 point cage installed (its a track/drag car)
    The engine and trans mods have all been completed and went quite smoothly but now its time to upgrade the diff, could anybody give some advice on best/easiest diff conversion? I want to keep the 4 stud wheel pattern. I read on another page that ae86 diff centre will bolt straight into the ta22 housing? Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Tia and glad to be a member of your forum! Jake

P.s if anyone has any questions about rotary/ta22 conversions im more than happy to help!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: ta22 diff conversion

how much power you making? what size tyres/wheels/offset are you running? are your rear guards standard or tub'd/flared?

you need to know what width you are after first and foremost.

quick idiot guide to ta22 diff conversions:
    1) nothing fits off the shelf
    2) you wont be able to walk into a diff shop and get a solution
    3) anything out of a sprinter/ke70 is rubbish
    4) hilux diffs are expensive and BLOODY heavy, may as well go a ford 9inch as it's cheaper.
    5) Volvo diffs are the best kept secret in classic celicas. they are however 40mm wider than a standard diff
    6) don't worry about stud pattern, it's a race car so just get the axles modified to the correct 4x114 stud pattern. it's the easiest part of the build.
    7) i have a diff jig for a ta22
    SHEPPO..

Forum Member

Hey mate I am running 205 wide tyres unsure of the offset. Power im also uncertain of because im yet to have it driving. Im hoping to make 200 to 300kw at the rears. So you dont think installing an ae86 lsd is an option?

Forum Member

Also has anyone actually done a diff conversion that may be able to give a list of parts needed and what mods needed to be done?

Forum Member

One more thing... when you say volvos are the best diff for old celicas why is that? Do they require minimum mods to install?

Forum Member Grease Monkey

You can convert to pretty much anything with an angle grinder/welder/jig/qualified fabricator/engy.. Currently have an r31 skyline with s15 race centre sitting in the back of my ta22 with stock linkages (but i'm using a nissan motor), cost me about 1000 bucks to get all the mounts done plus billet axles/hubs that I will never break. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper if all you need is mounts and shortening done..
    The world's slowest TA22 Build
    My no longer embarrassing DD >> The debt is worth it
    +rep if i earn it

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

volvo diffs are cheap, strong, and don't require shortening provided you run either flares or +20 offset wheels. They are 5x108 stud pattern, but for $200 you can get them re-studded to 4x114. they are about $120-150 at the wreckers including the massive rear discs, internal handbrake and 2 pot calipers. they are 1410mm wide face to face and are the lightest diff for the power they can handle. The downside to these are the lack of knowledge, you'd be hard pressed finding a diff shop capable of setting one up because it's not a Borgwarner or a 9in Ford.

R31 borgs are getting expensive however they are already 4x114 stud pattern, however have rubbish handbrake mechanisms and are 1470mm wide, thus require shortening. They are also VERY heavy diffs! The plus side about these are every idiot diff guy knows how to build them so getting it set up, bearings, gears, etc is a piece of piss.

Plenty of us have done diff conversions, I suggest you use the search function and learn a few things as there's plenty of info on this site. The volvo diff into classic celica thread is worth reading from start to finish.

Lastly, speak to your local diff shop and get their opinion, especially if they are the ones you're going to use to set it up.
    SHEPPO..

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic SIKTOY's Avatar

celica diffs will snap axels all day at that power I had a 13b bp in a ra23 and was putting axels in it every week

I put a hilux into my last celica very strong just need someone to with a jig to swap the mounts over
    If you can find a diff out of a RA2x series hilux it should be the same width
    reputation is nothing knowledge is everything
    RA23 1GGTE 12.3@110mph
    1980 RA40 now getting a 1G with new picsLOOK
    Don't argue with an IDIOT.He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience!