Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo BEAMS 3SGE KE70

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Turbo BEAMS 3SGE KE70

Not your everyday 3SGE beams, a full forged RAV4 (Greytop) Beams converted to RWD in my KE70 (Not finished yet).

Get a 3SGE beams motor, get the head reconditioned, full genuine gasket kit (Blocks have an oil feed to the hed thats semi outside a normal 3S block, so you cant use a cometic head gasket or other 3S block without changing to external oil feed).
    Custom CP pistons (Formula Drift Scion spec, as its almost impossible to get off the shelf turbo beams pistons due to the small combustion chamber).
    Eagle rods, ACL race bearings, ARP head studs.

Cause I dont want to use a RWD beams sump, I use a Spacia 3SFE sump, pickup, splash plate with 1998+ 5SFE oil pump and CAS. The CAS on the 5SFE is at a different angle, but as my ECU is adjustable it wont be a problem.
    One dent in the corner of the sump for the steering rack.
    ST141 corona mounts cut from corona crossmember and welded onto KE70 crossmember.
    Next issue:- 3SGTE and BEAMS FWD block have only 2 RWD mount holes on the drivers side, so I made a plate with angled bolts (pics soon).
    Water Outlets:- FWD beams is the same head but only single VVT. It has the RWD water outlet hiding behind the altinator bracket. I installed a MR2 altinator (Drivers side) and welded up a water outlet as Toyota wont sell you one.
    Had to make some water piping at the back of the head and the oil drain on the FWD is different so I made another one.
    Because the MR2 altinator is on the drivers side, neither a RWD or FWD beams intake manifold would fit, so I made a new one from scratch.
    Fitted 850cc Denso injectors! They actually exist and came in a Toyota box (1001-87F90), but Toyota doesnt know anything about them!. I did have th change plugs to suit.
    Heaps of pics and progress soon.

-Sam

Default Re: Turbo BEAMS 3SGE KE70

There is 2 different diameter flywheels for 3S and 2 different bolt spacings. If you use a Y bellhousing and drivers side starter you need the 305mm flywheel (Late 5SFE?), if you use a 'S' bellhousing and passenger starter like me you need the 295mm dia flywheel.
    I used a double row 16mm thick spigot bearing (3201RS) that taps into the crank (2S uses a flywheel mounted spigot bearing).
    NPC made a freaky double finger row pressure plate that worked well on my 450hp gen3 3SGTE for it.
    The RA60 W55 will fit the gearstick near the middle of the KE70 hole, but I have a SA63 W55 so I had to cut about 10mm at the rear of the floor hole.
    The gearbox crossmember is an embarassing mix of bunnings metal and chinese welder tallent.

Pics:-

Custom CP pistons in Beams FWD block - See the little hole on the block at the back of the water pump near the head stud hole? Thats the oil feed for the VVT. Its half inside, half outside on a normal 3S gasket

Genuine Head Gasket:-

Full reco head:-

Upper half assembled:-

Brass oil feed T for the turbo fitted to back of head. Rear water pipes not done yet.

5SFE oil pump. Note the sensor cave is near 45' to the lower right. Stock beams is vertical from directly under the crank.

ST141 mounts on KE70 crossmember:-

Mount adapter plate suit FWD / 4WD block:-

Started mounting it etc:-

-Sam

SR40g Sump mode (hammer):-

Considered using a flipped FWD manifold:-

Starting to make new manifold:-

Engine in, gearbox in, tailshaft in (Custom), fuel lines done (8mm feed, 6mm return), 850cc injectors in, wiring done (cept ECU), Intake manifold done:-

Next step, Manifold reinforcement bar, cut and weld water intake pipe, remove and fix dash heater (I snapped a pipe off it), fit chinese radiator, make turbo manifold.
    Getting close spent $25k? on this car so far ($10k on the motor - box?) Including diff, suspension, brakes etc
    Toda was the only company that I could find with off the shelf low comp beams pistons, but at $1500 they are too much!! I spent $950 for the CPs

-Sam

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

with all of this mucking around. you could have bought a auto rwd beams ,and you could of used the std plenum for you turbo .would have had std alternator and std water out lets and std motor mounts with stronger block and better std sump design

I already had a forged gen 3 3SGTE in this car but cracked a SRP piston (overboosted to 35psi, was running 30psi ok, high silicon pistons). The beams sump does not suit the placement of my mounts. The SR40g sump lets you mount the engine lower (I had one on my gen 3), the FWD rocker cover is much lower then the RWD rocker cover for more bonnet clearence. Pretty sure people normally have issues with the RWD plenum too (its very close to the brake master) altho I am using a AE101 master, not sure if that helps or not. The FWD ECU is much easier to deal with and has a full mechanical TB (I originally was going to use stock ECU and run NA). I got the engine for the right price. RWD beams still needs something done to the mounts to fit a KE70 crossmember. I also expected Toyota to sell me the RWD water outlets. They sold me the bypass pipes but said the rest wasnt available. No big deal, welding is not hard and my chinese ebay TIG has been hammering away for nearly 10 years without dramas. I had a RWD and a FWD beams motor here, but sold off the RWD motor.

Also the plan was to put the beams into my rav, and just rebuild the gen 3 (again), but I decided to go all out, and the rav will probably end up V6.

manifold looks nice.

did you bring the piston crowns up to deck height or leave them low like std?

oh, not that it matters now, but apexi make their nice stopper hgs in various thicknesses for the beams motor.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Hey Sam I think you sold me a st205 head and oil pan on eBay? Same Sam?
    1990 ST185 Running stock Gen 3 power, 216awhp at 15psi. 13.6 second down the quarter

The pistons have huge dish. Hard to see in the pics. I have a spec card at home for them somewhere.

Probably the same Sam lol I have another head if you need one? (I have at least 3 gen3 3SGE heads lying around). Selling my 1998 ST202 5SFE block and crank. Was going to make a stroker at some stage but gave up on that.
    I ran 22psi for about a year with a 3071 on a dead stock import motor no worries. Took it to 25psi and broke a piston instantly (Ring Land).

Well I finished making the intake manifold stay, out of angle iron, that secures the plenum to the engine mount so the alloy doesnt crack from vibration.
    Also finished the fuel system in the boot (Surge tank and another 044).

This week hopefully get the final water pipe done and heater removed and repaired before I go skiing next week.

Ok I am running out of time, so I went for a log style turbo manifold rather then the rams horn style my 3SGTE had. Will be interesting to compare the results (same turbo and same boost). Manifold should be finished tomorrow, hoping to have the car running next couple of days. More pics soon.

Update:- Turbo water lines done.

Tomorrow do turbo oil drain pipe, start pulling out heater.

Pulled out heater, no corrosion but the pipe totally snapped off while removing. Soldered up with plumbers iron and solder, put back in, connected pipes.
    Water leak - cracked weld, fixed. Broken water temp sensor - fixed.

Trying to get a feel for these injectors. 1.50ms - 1.60ms idle, not sure of NA fuel ms yet.
    Last thing left - Dump pipe. Will have a go at it this week.

Well I knew I hated making exhausts, and now I know I definitely hate making exhausts (and dump pipes).
    Not pretty but its done.
    Will be driving the car for the first time tomorrow night.
    Still some very minor details to sort out when I get back.

Anyone experts on TIG welding? Strangest thing happened. I was welding stainless pipe to stainless pipe, using stainless filler. I accidentally touched the rod onto the tig tip. Boom splatter as expected, but its like the whole metal pipe changed form, cause everytime I try to add filler, the filler explodes and the pipe area changes colour to white! I tried new tig tip, new ceramic couling, new rods. It will never stick to any part of the pipe ever again! Yet steel rods work fine (altho nasty in the affected white areas even after grinding) WTF happened?? I thought I killed the welder, but a different piece of pipe welded ok with stainless filler afterwards.

Anyway, I am going to take my time running in this engine (without boost) as I rushed the last one and had leaky rings.

I have spent $10k on the engine, probably 25k all up on the mechanics of the car (and thats doing 99% of the work myself). Looks like I will have to sell it, $12k with RWC and mod plate?

Body is stock, paint original, pretty straight, very minimal rust, interior totally stock cept guages (no radio). Been garaged for years.
    One of only a couple of forged turbo Beams motors in the world (not including WRC corolla