Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbo BEAMS 3SGE KE70

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Turbo BEAMS 3SGE KE70

Need to get it out of the garage, as the Lexus 1GFE is dying rapidly, after nearly 400,000km. Bleeding and oiling up and auto slipping. Need to start putting the 2GR into it.

Ok got home from work hoping to drive the KE. Start it up, clutch wont disengage Master is leaking inside the car (even tho its only 2-3 years old). I adjusted the pedal and got the clutch to disengage. Start driving. Trying to tune these 870cc injectors is near impossible! 1.50ms idle, 2.16ms 0kpa point! so only 0.66ms between idle and full throttle and its very non linear!! Temperature is at 98, funny cause the 3SGTE used to run hot and the only common denominator is the ebay 3 core chinese radiator. Piece of crap!! This weekend I will put in EVO 560cc injectors like the 3SGTE had and a rising rate regulator. They tuned up great on the last engine, with probably double the resolution. Also I will try an AE86 radiator of silvia?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

This is sick! Keep up the progress!!!

Ok sorted more minor issues. Took it for a decent drive tonight, interesting!
    Running 15psi, 6000 limit
    Makes 2-3psi up to before 3500, then jumps to 10psi, the around 4000 it jumps to 15psi. At around 5000 the power jumps up but boost is still at 15psi, holds flat to 6000 rev limit.
    Tryed with VVT on and off, cant tell the difference (well cept crusing and idle gets jerky). Might help with exctractor type manifold rather then log.
    Bit laggy between gears. Turbo is GTX2867 0.64
    For 15psi it feels pretty quick. 13s car?
    Idles 900-1000. The idle control solenoid is mega touchy so I need to improve the resolution of my PWM software. Its strange cause if you open it too far it starts to close again (no end stops).

I will drive it to work tomorrow, and spend a month running it in, then its 20-25psi and 7500 limit.
    I had a problem with it boost cutting, so I changed the COPS for a Daewoo pack cause I know they handle 30psi. Made no difference. Problem was the boost controller freaking out. Maybe the solenoid is plumbed backwards? Bypassed the solenoid and it holds 15psi rock solid.
    Minor bits left to do:-
    Grind inside of dump pipe, its a bit rough cause I was in a rush.
    Minor tap of floor to clear cat some more.
    Install new injector plugs when they arrive (I am used buggered RB20 plugs as I changed the injectors last minute to EVO 560s cause they tune soooo nice)
    Still playing with mixtures, but nothing drastic.
    Clutch needs more adjustment.
    Replace leaking clutch master.
    Clean up interior wiring.
    Ultimately a better radiator.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Great result Sam. Im always inspired (and shamed) by how fast you get things running.

lol I could have kept mucking around for months, but decided to pull my finger out.

Running 20psi now with 6200 limit. Feeling quick.
    Its very different to drive compared to the 3SGTE I had:-
    Hits 20psi around 38-4000 but has no torque, at 5000 power and torque suddenly jumps but boost is still constant. Because I am only revving to 6200 its narrow, will be better when its run in more and I can take it to 7700
    Have tried with VVT on and VVT off under all sorts of circumstances, and the difference is negligible, cept idle and cruise goes to crap when its on.
    So under 5k its less power then 3SGTE, above 5k I think its more.

As for the log manifold, I am happy with it. Compared to the rams horn, boost comes in a few hundred RPM earlier, and not sure when it drops off, but its definitely above 6200
    The intake runners are a couple of inches shorter then the custom 3SGTE one I had, but not silly short like those 2J or RB26 manifolds you can get.
    The 3SGTE was more linear, once boost hit at 4200 it pulled even till 7000 (or more) even with custom cam timing.

Once its run in I will dyno it.

Last edited by samkaos; 29-08-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: clone

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

when you say vvt on or off, are you just switching it between full advance and full retard?

when you tune it on the dyno are you going to tune the vvti properly?

Looks to be a neat little job you have done there & should be a little weapon, but I cant get over the fact that you say it hits 20 psi at around the 4,000 mark but has not torque !! is the cam timing correct & or ignition timing correct ??

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Doesn't sound like you have the VVTi working properly? If the solenoids are run anything like the 1UZ it's going to be a total headfuck for anything other than the stock ECU to run it properly.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

yeah i think something has gone very wrong with how you are playing with the vvti...

but still looks like fun.

fwiw the adaptronic has good abilities to manipulate the vvti and is easy enough to play around with. many of the other ecu's i have heard are more complicated to get good results.

Ok firstly NEVER go full retard

It felt like it was making maybe 300hp max, and it was constantly surging at full boost.
    I tested in on my favorite bit of road, where the 3SGTE got to 145, this only got to 115!!
    The turbo was getting real hot too and I lost to a EVIL VE, which made me sad.
    Was thinking it might be a bad injector or fuel pressure reg, and then for some unknown reason I decided to buy a new air filter element (the K & N one that was in it was years old.
    And WOW! its alive now! Lifted limit to 7700 and from 5k to limiter it is animal! And its only a 0.64 rear on the turbo!
    Found that at 23psi the 98 fuel just detonates regardless of timing etc, so its set to 21psi.
    I tried my favorite piece of road and had to back off in third cause I was scared.
    Its definitely over 400hp now (the turbo is rated to 480?) GTX2867R
    Turbo is cooler now too.

I haven't written firmware for VVT position control yet, so its just on or off based on TPS, which in this case is from 3500 - 6000.
    The VVT has an odd tooth 3 prong pickup (as the dissy only turns half the speed of the crank), and uses PWM to advance or retard, with a 50% duty to lock the position.
    I will get to that in the next could of weeks, but if you think about the whole VVT thing:-
    VVT increases valve overlap. The advantage from that is due to the exhaust velocity in the pipes, you get a vaccuum at the engine, and the overlay allows some vacuum to suck in the intake charge, which can give you over 100% VE. Great on a NA motor, but when you have a turbo with a 3in exhaust, the air velocity in the exhaust is bugger all, and the restriction at the turbo turbine is going negate the effect, so instead of sucking in charge, your blowing intake charge out the exhaust manifold into the turbo. Might help it spool more, but its wasting fuel and may give you less cylinder fill (unless you add air and burn it in the manifold like WRC cars).

Water temp is ok, 92-98 degrees, so thats good.
    I will upload a video of it soon and dyno / drag it in the next couple of weeks.

I will try my 0.86 rear as it will probably suit the power band better, and I might go to a 100mm thick intercooler. Everything else is sweet.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

So a coupla points, the Toyota VVTi is a tricky fucker to get operating. It's not a simple duty cycle operated solenoide but one that holds position based on the signal...a bees dick off and the wrong oil galleries are open/closed and who knows what the camshaft timing is doing. Testing that on a dyno is really the only hope of getting it right and even with the base OEM table to guide you i reckon it'll be a shitload of dyno time to get it right.

airflow is airflow and pressure is pressure...boost from a turbo is no different to the variations in air pressure you get from altitude change. 1 bar atm is just a point on a graph and 'boost' is just a continuation of that gradient of increasing air pressure...it ain't magical ergo, VVTi will work just as well for a boosted engine and why there is a VVTi option for the 1 and 2JZs.

Get on a dyno and figure out what the cam positioning is doing...or log it from your road runs at least.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

im happy you picked up my tropic thunder reference.

well for the moment I am leaving the VVT as is (Full on from 3500-6000).
    Took it for a flogging, temps were good, but 560cc injectors are maxing out at 20psi.
    Spent last night fitting a Malpassi rising rate reg, and sh*t, it doesnt work! I think its a chinese copy, turn on the fuel pump and the pressure gauge slams the end stop and petrol leaks from places in the reg!
    Not happy. Today ordered a real Malpassi. Cant drive the rolla till it arrives
    Looking at getting a thicker intercooler too.
    Idle speed controller sticks sometimes (it was jammed when I got the motor, so I WD40 it). Its different to other ISC, both in wiring and operation. You can move it too far and idle drops again, so the end stops are closed at both ends!
    Got the new injector plugs, nice and neat now!
    Moved the pickup wires away from the coil wires.
    Minor mods to ECU (Hardware and software filtering on the pickup)
    Will try the 0.86 rear this weekend.
    Trying to source another GT3071 as I loved my last one.
    Need some heat wrapping near the clutch line to slave (altho no problems with it so far)
    Also going to pressurize the turbo inlet to 40psi and check all pipes and joins for leaks.

Hopefully go to the drags in 2 weeks.