Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo 2GRFE Lexus IS200

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Twin Turbo 2GRFE Lexus IS200

NPC has done many many setups for me. I did get one that wouldnt disengage and they fixed it pretty quick.
    The one they did for the 3SGTE has crazy 2 rows of fingers on the PP and has never ever slipped even flogging the crap out of it with 30psi, and I take off in second most of the time (cept hills and drags)
    They now have all the bits for the 2GR flywheel and are working on it right now.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Agreed NPC are the best for these random conversion clutches. I had them modify my 2azfe flywheel, machine it down at the ringear step to accept the smaller ringear from the Y Flywheel and make the Y bellhousing and starter a stock located fit on the 2az dowels. Also just left the 9 inch 2az clutch disc and pressure plate as is for easy sourcing of stock or aftermarket replacement parts. Then I just had to space the Y starter back until it could engage and disengage properly. Doug also made a nice hefty steel throwout bearing carrier to use a much larger throwout bearing than the junky Toyota type that always goes squeally in 10-15000 ks. The mans an artist. I did a new kitchen for Lorraine and Nick, Dougs parents a few years back, before they retired and went travelling. Very nice people indeed. I think Nick was more into heavy machinery clutches and Doug is the man for the modified and performance stuff. They also tweaked a 20v clutch for me and made it heavier clamping force, just cause they like to really, and it was a sweet clutch that was smooth as silk and never let me down in years of use.

I just picked up a free 1GRFE 4.0 Hilux motor for free (spun bearing). Will sit it next to the 2GR and compare things, and see if the heads swap etc (I am putting ARP studs and new gaskets on the 2GR).

Wonder if a 1GR crank fits a 2GR block? How much cc can you get with 97mm darton sleeves in a 1GR?

I just picked up a free 1GRFE 4.0 Hilux motor for free (spun bearing). Will sit it next to the 2GR and compare things, and see if the heads swap etc (I am putting ARP studs and new gaskets on the 2GR).

Wonder if a 1GR crank fits a 2GR block? How much cc can you get with 97mm darton sleeves in a 1GR?

Awesome work! Following with interest. Would love to see the 1gr along side the 2gr. The adaptor I bought was for a 1gr to chev pattern.

Well I found out why the engine was free. The oil has turned into a half inch layer of grease which caused one of the cams to snap in half and start welding into the head! I assume the valves have hit the pistons due to this.
    Interesting the 1GR only has intake VVT, and has cam bearings only on left side front, to cover head bolts lol.

So far ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is compatible between the 1GR and 2GR. Shame cause 1GR has return type fuel rail.

Once I get the crank out (if I can ever get this front bolt undone), then I will compare cranks and rods and see if the 1GR crank will fit a 2GR block.

Got the crank out of the 1GR, its soooooo heavy! I can machine down the PCD area and drill between the stock bolt holes to fit 2GR block hopefully.
    Got the NPC custom flywheel and 10in organic clutch yesterday, wow about twice the price I expected!! Totally throws out my budget. Looks awsome but lol.
    Waiting for new flywheel bolts then I will fit it and the box to the motor and start it up (on the creeper).
    Hopefully not long and I can start fitting it to the is200

Can you please post up some pictures of the difference in the bolt pattern for the bell housings between the two.

1GR Bellhousing is massive compared to 2GR, and flywheel PCD is different. The 1GR is single VVT and makes less power.
    Anyway, my is200 now has a blown head gasket, so the conversion will happen real soon (soon as I have enough cash lol).

I havent given up, but trying to descide on NA 2GR or twin turbo 1MZ (much stronger block and I have H beams rods already for it).
    The 1MZ will sit further forward due to the back of the head over hanging the bellhousing, and I have to do a little welding to the block as the water gallery inspection plate hits the starter motor power bolt. Several people have got 500hp+ out of turbo 1MZ, but I am worried about the open deck spray on cylinders in the 2GR.

Anyways, started stripping down the 2GR tonight. Wow full of milk hope I dont have to machine the block!
    Do I want to stick with the stock pistons, or go MWR 12:1 pistons, or 9:1 pistons?? Darton sleeves would be nice, but for $4k and some people say they are not reliable.

The 4GRFE IS250 sump does bolt onto the 2GR (to give me rear sump to suit the IS200), but I am not so sure about the oil pickup, might need mods.

I would also love to know if my 1GR crank would fit (Would need custom rods and pistons I assume)

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samkaos View Post
    I havent given up, but trying to descide on NA 2GR or twin turbo 1MZ (much stronger block and I have H beams rods already for it).
    The 1MZ will sit further forward due to the back of the head over hanging the bellhousing, and I have to do a little welding to the block as the water gallery inspection plate hits the starter motor power bolt. Several people have got 500hp+ out of turbo 1MZ, but I am worried about the open deck spray on cylinders in the 2GR.
    Send B24_SW20 a message, he is building a high end NA 2GR at the moment for his track car.

Been a while.
    I finally took the heads off. Yep blown head gasket between 2 cylinders.
    Got the heads machined and pressure tested.
    New head gaskets and bolts. Wow those head bots have to be done tight!
    Time to put the chain on. My manual had a pic of the right head, so I put the chain on it and then same on left head. Thought I might check the net. WTF Left head uses totally different timing marks! Then the tensioner bolt snaps, because Toyota make them tapered in the middle so they snap if you use them more then once.

Anyway front timing cover is now on, going to paint the rocker covers before putting them on.

Wend to put the 4GRFE IS250 pickup on, looks like I have to drill and tap a hole, no biggy.
    The IS250 splash plate bolt holes are out width position wise. 4GRFE must use closer main bolts because the plate screws into the mains.

Next issue:- IS250 sump! Looks like one part of it sticks out further then the 2GR block! I will have to get a 1mm sandwitch plate made that should hopefully seal the gap. All the bolt holes line up on the block.

Pics:-

Ok today I drilled and tapped M6x1.0 hole for the pickup mount
    Welded up areas on the IS250 sump and ground back to fit pickup. Head shop will machine it all flat.
    Ovaled the holes for the splash plate, cut a small triangle off it and belt it slightly in the top corner so it doesnt rattle on the main stud

I guess the 2GR block is slightly curved in the middle for 4WD (Klugar) configurations. Tempting to try and fit my spare motor into my 99 RAV!

Welded areas on sump:-

Stock 2GR sump:-

Close up of welding before machining:-

Splash plate and pickup from IS250 installed:-

Drilled and tapped M6 hole (not much area for gasket seal!):-

Top corner of splash plate doesnt bolt to anything:-

All other areas look compatible.

Good work going on here. I very much look forward to the finished product.
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22