Thread: Toyota G314 Differential - Oil Grade? (1990 Toyota Crown UZS131)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Toyota G314 Differential - Oil Grade? (1990 Toyota Crown UZS131)

Hello, sorry if this is a total-newbie sort of question

I do not have a manual accompanying my grey-market import Toyota Crown. Normally I can rely on information regarding Lexus LS400 (very similar drive-train), but turns out the differentials are not exactly the same, but both are G-series. (1)

I found other cars with G-series diffs (2) and searched what grade of oil they use

Anecdotal evidence from the 'net suggests 80w-90 should be suitable, and I don't need to worry about additives for LSD since my diff isn't one (3, 4, 5)

Is this correct?

Thank you!

*Update: I have had one other UZS131 owner state they've used 80w-90 in their diff without issue, the only thing to watch out for is if your diff is of the Limited Slip variety, it needs oil with special additives. I guess that and further evidence to suggest that Toyota Diffs want SAE90 / API GL-5 grade oil in general (6) makes me realise I've over-thought this waaaay too much

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Toyota G314 Differential - Oil Grade? (1990 Toyota Crown UZS131)

Quote Originally Posted by MS112 View Post
    Hello, sorry if this is a total-newbie sort of question

I do not have a manual accompanying my grey-market import Toyota Crown. Normally I can rely on information regarding Lexus LS400 (very similar drive-train), but turns out the differentials are not exactly the same, but both are G-series. (1)

I found other cars with G-series diffs (2) and searched what grade of oil they use

Anecdotal evidence from the 'net suggests 80w-90 should be suitable, and I don't need to worry about additives for LSD since my diff isn't one (3, 4, 5)

Is this correct?

Thank you!

*Update: I have had one other UZS131 owner state they've used 80w-90 in their diff without issue, the only thing to watch out for is if your diff is of the Limited Slip variety, it needs oil with special additives. I guess that and further evidence to suggest that Toyota Diffs want SAE90 / API GL-5 grade oil in general (6) makes me realise I've over-thought this waaaay too much
    Howdy. I'm glad I was of some help and wish to provide a bit more feedback. I always check all fluids and it's been some time since I initially put in CASTROL AXLE EPX 80W-90 and have faced no issue. You're right to have some concern (it's a great car and you want to look after it). So after using CASTROL AXLE EPX 80W-90 on the G314 I found no issue. The additive package didn't seem to have any negative affect on the diff. If anything it did make it quieter but I believe this is because the diff oil was changed.

Over time, especially since the mid 80s additives and technology in fluids has changed dramatically which does help prolong the life of this. As long as you service and maintain regularly and to the specification or better, I believe you'll be fine.

TLR version,
    After further use of CASTROL AXLE EPX 80W-90, have had no negative effects.

Hope you continue to look after yours