Thread: Hard fuel lines (AN style)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Hard fuel lines (AN style)

looking for some input, I am looking to swap to E85 soon so will need to address fuelling.
    my stock fuel line is on par with an5 maybe AN6 (stock st185 hard lines are 10mm od).
    im debating upgrading my hard lines so am trying to decide between using a mix of hard and soft lines or all soft lines.
    looking to use black anodised aeroflow fuel tube with their tube nuts and sleeves. (means purchasing a $230 flaring tool) for every single line except two feed and return to the motor as they need to be flexible to allow the engine to move and also the feed and return to the thank as again you need to allow for movement when removing the tank.
    ive done the pricing and after about 22 fittings (two fittings per tube length) the hard line tool is justified (flexible hose ends are about $15 vs $5 for a tube nut).
    now I am wanting to run a flex sensor and potentially a surge tank, these both will be easier with hard line (lots of hose ends).
    also Teflon braided hose in -6an is around $32 a metre vs $6.5 for hard line.

u will notice I have omitted adapters,p clamps etc as these will be required regardless of hard or soft lines.

so my question to every one is:
    how hard is it to make nice hard lines?
    what bender did you use?
    any advice? any reason I should go one way or the other?

tempting to go hard lines as I think they are a lot better looking, lighter too. just worried im missing something?
    1990 ST185 Running stock Gen 3 power, 216awhp at 15psi. 13.6 second down the quarter

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Hard fuel lines (AN style)

I made custom lines myself 1/2 fuel lines. wasted about two rolls of hard line before i was 100% willing to give it a go on my own car (what i mean by this is i had a play bending lines to learn how my bender worked and where it put the bends as such)

After you have everything down it is rather easy you just need to remember what you are bending in what direction.

My bender

Imperial Triple Head Tubing Bender i have both sizes.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Triple-He...f9ae53f&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Imperial-...0425025&_uhb=1

Have this flare tool

https://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

got the UNIVERSAL HYDRAULIC FLARING TOOL SET plus 37 degree add on kit.

Also got a AN fitting leak tester kit (best thing i got as i can test everything for leaks before i put it in saves putting it in to find a leak and then have to re do everything again.

in total i think i spent over $1000 and my local speedflow shop said i went over kill on my gear but hey.... it should last me the rest of my life and i would rather do things right the 1st time then over and over again.

as for advice. I got none i just went hard lines as i wanted to clean up under my car and make things a bit neater to work on.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

I just switched to E85 on my TA22. All I did was change the rubber hose to new EFI hose (it was with an EFI install anyway) and that was it. Works fine with the stock hardline (the corrosion thing is a myth that started because Methanol DOES corrode stuff). It's also turbo'd with a 3T bottom end (so 1.8L) and doesn't fuel starve at all. I have a $150 dollar brake double flaring kit that I got from auto one and it's worked fine for everything I've needed to do so far.
    Last edited by Ashh; 18-03-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

(and for connections I just flared out the end of the hardline and put the rubber hose over it and secured it with a hose clamp. Doesn't leak at all at 40psi fuel pressure)

I also don't have a surge tank or lift pump and have yet to have a problem. I have an external pump that I bought new that comes stock off one of the commodores. It has a filter pre and post pump (a lot of people say not to filter it pre-pump but I didn't want 40 years of crap being sucked up through it).

To bend I just used my hands (it's only 1/4" after all - not sure why you would need 1/2" unless it's some sort of 400hp monster) or for tight stuff just push against a round bar or use my friends 20ish dollar brake hose bender tool. All work fine.
    Last edited by Ashh; 18-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.