Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Turbo for a 2t/3t cammed engine?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

Default Which Turbo for a 2t/3t cammed engine?

Hi there,

So I'm in the final stages of Turbo-ing my TA22 (it started today!). It's got a 2T block, with a 3T lower end (so 1.8L), a huge front mount air-to-air intercooler and a fairly aggressive cam in it. Oh and it's EFI-ed running with a MS2 controlling spark as well.

The plan was to use a T28 which I bought along with a bunch of things off a fellow toymodder. The T28 needed a rebuild which was no big deal, however when I had it apart it became apparent that the exhaust turbine didn't spin straight (about 1/4mm up and down at the edge of the blade through one revolution).

So now I'm faced with a two options:

1. rebuild T28 with a new exhaust shaft/compressor wheel
    2. buy a different turbo

The reason I'm considering option 2 is that I've heard a T28 only really spools at around 3800 (http://www.turbochargerkits.com.au/t...t-t28-vs-gt25/) and that's going to be very annoying (especially with the aggressive NA cam which will make it worse).
    I really want something that's going to be spooling at around the 2500rpm mark but isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg (only been able to find GT25's for about 1200-1600..)

So any suggestions? I'm not really chasing huge power figures. If I could get 100kw-150kw out of it that would be great.

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Default Re: Which Turbo for a 2t/3t cammed engine?

Don't worry about that nissan 4 valve rubbish. My 3T spools either of the S14 SR20 journal bearing or the S15 SR20 ball bearing turbo just a shade over 2000rpm. I do of course have rather mild cam and low compression which helps spool a lot however the 2 valve head on the T series in general will be better for exhaust velocity and turbo spool than the nissaids.

Cheers,
    Jason

P.S. That looks good!
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

by that do you mean that you've got positive boost pressure or that you can really start to feel the car unleashing pure awesome? haha

I've got the T28 journal bearing one which is the later S14 model I believe?

and thanks
    here's a picture with the intercooler piping in the engine bay (please do not inspect my newb ally lobster bends - this intercooler piping is the first time I've welded aluminium! )

Well if those welds are your beginners attempt then you and that TIG will go places in the real near future!

I mean that breathing on the throttle off an idle has positive boost pressure and a quarter throttle has 11psi boost under 2500rpm which is fantastic for nailing idjits in late model rides from traffic light duels. Highway cruise has about 4psi positive boost in front of the throttle plates for instantaneous overtaking if required and no hill could prevent me from crossing it in 5th gear... Power is all said and done for by 5500rpm but has not fallen on its face up to 6500rpm if you care to keep reving.

Cheers,
    Jason

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

sweet build man, i have a suck though turbo setup on my 3t and i wanted to go efi but couldnt get that manifold you've got!

You gonna get some dyno results after you've done this?

Cheers,
    Callum

Haha here's hoping. I've had a fair bit of experience with steel so it's not like I just picked it up and that was my first weld.

as for the boost: that sounds brilliant! Looks like I'll be buying the bits for the T28 rebuild
    Then I'll have all the power!

Are those numbers that you just quoted with a BB turbo?

@Ctrain:

haha yeah it was a pretty sweet find. I bought it, the turbo, turbo manifold, arp headstuds and conrod studs, 550cc injectors all from the same bloke (he switched to a 2TG setup). It didn't come with a fuel rail so I had to make a custom one with my mates.

I'd be keen to dyno it but probably only after it's got some stronger pistons than just the stock cast 3TC ones. I don't really want to push it too hard when they might just let go and undo all the work of rebuilding the engine

EDIT: BRD sells EFI manifolds from memory? Might be a good idea as the throttle body on this OEM toyota one is miniscule.. so I don't think it's going to be great for a power-build.

I really didn't notice a difference between the bush bearing and the ball bearing units. They both came on like they had a rocket strapped to them!

Cheers,
    Jason

Brilliant. That's what I wanted to hear

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

Very cool looking setup.
    The T28's are a piece of piss to rebuild, pretty simple job, just fiddly.
    You can get rebuild kits with a 360 degree thrust bearing pretty cheap,
    I think I paid 75 for the entire kit.

Cam
    SR20DET TA23

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

my 3tc is running a R32? BB T3 turbo, will make 20psi before 3000rpm ive got an unknow spec wade turbo cam also.
    Im going to swap to a disco potato 2861 or the next size up when i finish getting parts for the new motor.

my brothers CA18 is now running a 2861 and makes boost around the 2500 mark.
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

sweet set up Ashh!

the T28 will be suitable for your needs. If you want a faster spool, try and find an exhaust housing off a T28 from a GTR skyline (RB26) as they had a 0.48 rear housing.
    SHEPPO..

@Cam: Yeah the t28 was much easier than expected to rebuild (with 360 degree thrust bearing), except getting that huge circlip out was a bit sketch. Pretty sure it would've killed a small child if released under tension

@sheppo: would that housing fit over my exhaust turbine? Where would you suggest looking?

@hurricane: 20psi at 3000rpm!? Damn!
    Do you think that's because it's a BB turbo or because of the turbo cam? How much do they go for/where do I get one
    I've got an aggressive NA cam and it only really seems to start boosting properly at 4500, though it has positive boost pressure pretty much from 1500-2000

I've got a new exhaust shaft on the way from the UK to replace the slightly bent one. And once I've used up this tank of 95 octane fuel I'll be filling it up with 98 or E85 and installing a boost controller. Then the real fun can begin

Oh and does anyone have an ignition map floating around? I have no idea what I was doing and just sort of guessed my way through it.

P.s. Sorry for not doing the usual quote-reply method. On my phone and couldn't work it out easily
    Last edited by Ashh; 07-03-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ashh View Post

@hurricane: 20psi at 3000rpm!? Damn!
    Do you think that's because it's a BB turbo or because of the turbo cam? How much do they go for/where do I get one
    I've got an aggressive NA cam and it only really seems to start boosting properly at 4500, though it has positive boost pressure pretty much from 1500-2000

yeah thats it, i have had an ignittion issue for along time now and the car only revs to 5000rpm max.
    i got the turbo with an engine, no idea if its factory BB or has been modified? i could never find any info.

the cam makes a big difference, with out up its really flat in the revs and does seem to have more turbo lag. i rang wades cams with the numbers out it but there couldnt give me any info on it. told me it was custom made from a mix of two of there profiles. 4500 to make what psi? seems really late. could be in your tune also?

my motor runs alot of timing, and has 9:1 compression ratio. might be helping also?
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    yeah thats it, i have had an ignittion issue for along time now and the car only revs to 5000rpm max.
    Mine does that too Dan, if i give it the beans through every gear it flys straight to 4500-5000rpm and stays there but it picks up speed, i thought it was the clutch but i cant smell it even after a good flogging, my setups using a hall effect instead of points and an old optospark 500N, i was thinking off going all out and get an MSD 6AL2. I was told mine has a stock cam too, i havnt really tested the engine to see its pros and cons, i will though once i pay rego.