Thread: 1jz vvti out of a jzx100 into Mx73 - It runs but I need some minor wiring help

Administrator Backyard Mechanic

Default 1jz vvti out of a jzx100 into Mx73 - It runs but I need some minor wiring help

Hey Guys,

Just wiring up a vvti 1j from a jzx100 and would like some help with a couple of things...

Here is what I call my wiring map, where I've traced the wires on the loom to the corresponding plugs

Gearbox Plug

Dash Lights

I was under the impression that this plug in the diagram above labelled gearbox is what gives you your dash lights / tells the ecu what gear you physically have the selector position in.

I can find continuity between the top left gearbox (red/blue) pin and the bottom right green / white when it park.

I can also get continuity between the top left (red/blue) and the 3rd one in from the left on the top (red/black) when in reverse, but there is no other continuity for what I would have expected to be the other gears.

or if that doesn't make sense above still... Q. On the vvti 1j where do you get the shifter position lights from?

Neutral Start

How does this work on the jzx100? Is it the traditional power in and out on a pin? Or is it like the jzx100 where earth is provide on a particular pin and taken away once you take it out of park / neutral?

My guess is power in on the b/w large pin and back out again on the r/w large pin in the diagram above labelled Gearbox.

Speedo

The mx73 cluster was cable driven and the jzx100 box is electronic... What has everyone done here?

Anyway I appreciate your time, and I hope this map helps someone somewhere.

Cheers
    Matt
    Last edited by BLK_20v; 24-02-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: tired post that didn't make sense

Default Re: 1jz vvti out of a jzx100 into Mx73 - It runs but I need some minor wiring help

Or to summarise the original question..

How does one wire the automatic transmission for a jzx100 1j vvti into a mx73...

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Default Re: 1jz vvti out of a jzx100 into Mx73 - It runs but I need some minor wiring help

neutral start: there's 2 separate terminals for breaking starter relay circuit. note each side is additionally fed to an appropriate ECU pin. There's continuity between them when in P and N. These terminals are the biggest in the ECT plug.

speedo: I fabricated an adjuistable electronic adapter and retrofitted a modern speedo into old case. It's possible to use some JZX90 parts and fit an additional sensor into gearbox (like in some jzs90's), if yours is a340e. Some choose GPS speedo.

reverse wire is spliced: it's fed to cluster, ECU, and rear lights. Shift lever position switch receives power from ignition barrel.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Thanks george... My diagram makes sense to me, and it is the 2 large pins on the box. Looks very likely that i have a faulty inhibitor switch.

It may just need some adjustment. Can be tricky especially if it's worn out badly
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301

Junior Member Grease Monkey

ok, i have done this conversion a few times, but with jzx90 engines (not too much different)

almost all or your wires you need from the car are in the square plug behind the mx73 (it will have some big wires in it) this includes tach, temp, auto position lights, starter etc.

the easiest way is to figure out where the auto indicator wiring are on the jzx100 harness (will be in the same plug as the tach and temp) and label them by going through the gears and looking for voltage (unless you can find a pinout)
    to find which wire is which in the mx73, remove the cluster and trace the wires from behind there by testing for continuity (they will also be the same colour)

for the NSW switch there will be 2 wires in the main power connector of the jzx100 harness. they are very skinny, one is black and the other is black with a white stripe. one is NSW and the other is STA. connect the NSW to the starter wire in the car, and the STA wire to a relay to the starter (NOT the starter solenoid) this will also make your cold start work properly.

for the speed sensor, get the cable drice from an earlier model toyota with auto box that uses cable speedo (cressida, supra, etc) it should fit right in where the 3 wire sensor is for the electric speedo.

you will also have to find the spd wire within the mx73 connector (its blue from memory, in the big square connector) and connect it to the ecu spd connector to make the auto behave.

hope it helps.

the spd wire advice is wrong
    neither 1jz-ge nor 1jz-gte need it
    they are fine with SP2 signal which they already have from auto transmission

Triptek Enhanced Backyard Mechanic triptek's Avatar

Post deleted
    Last edited by triptek; 27-06-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    1990 SW20 MR2 turbo Gen III 3S-GTE conversion, 3" exhaust = 264.9rwhp
    1985 JZA61 2JZ-GTE + TO4Z = 442.1rwhp @ 18psi
    1991 JZA70 Limited 2JZ-GTE vvti GTX30/76r
    1994 GZX90 Mark II 1GZ-FE V12
    1980 MA45 Undergoing Restoration

Post deleted
    Last edited by triptek; 27-06-2014 at 02:12 PM.

triptek , it's possible to get the proper ppr without any altering of mechanic parts. I fabricate the devices that are capable of such things. However as I could understand from the first post in the thread, BLK_20v needs some sort of cable drive?

Post deleted
    Last edited by triptek; 27-06-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

just buy a Dakota digital speedo box
    it accepts an electronic signal in and then spins a speedo cable
    another brand is called cable x
    hold onto your seat when u look at price as they don't do forums special prices
    otherwise just buy a 30 dollar iphone case and glue your iphone to yr dash easy as pie heheh

nsw is black white
    this is from key to inhibitor

sta is black its from inhibitor to start relay
    u need to make sure u run a start relay as the wires for nsw and sta are very thin

I think jzx100 do not have a speedo cable/sensor on the back of box to drive the speedo

there is only sp2+ sp2- sensor

Junior Member Grease Monkey

my bad guys, didnt realise jzx100 didnt use the gear driven sensor. i have dealt with them before. as said above you can retro fot an older extension housing to make it work.

Forum Member

I just wired my tranny. The red/blue gets power (12v). On his white pin starting from right to left (blk/red)= R , L , 2 , D , N, P. I only got continuity when red/blue was powered.