Thread: ms55 crown diff issues

Forum Member

Default ms55 crown diff issues

Does anyone know if ms55 crowns come out with lsd option or if any other toy lsd will fit, i am running a worked 302 windsor 5 speed with the standard diff but have traction issues,especially in the wet the car is undriveable.Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: ms55 crown diff issues

Mate, if you have an Aussie built MS55 with the AMI badges on the front guards, you might just happen to have a BorgWarner rear end, so yep there should be plenty of options in that case.

If you have an imported car you might want to swap the assend for a Hi Lux setup, they have a more capable G series diff with LSD options
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Forum Member

Thanks for the info, no ami badges just deluxe badges, Id plate says its made in Japan so I guess it's a import,also couldn't find Borg Warner stamped on the diff. When you mean hilux diff are you talking about just the centre and axles or complete housing? The diff in mine has trailer arms and coil springs with stabilizer bars. I would hate to try and convert a leaf spring diff to fit. Plus I would probably lose the excellent go-kart handelling it's got now!
    Also have you got any ideas for changing the dodgy accelerator linkage to a cable set up
    Thanks again

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Hilux diff will be an easy fit, cut all the shit off it and weld on whats on yours, easy job for a diff shop.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

The linkages worked really well on the M engines, lots of lost motion to accommodate the massive torque twist in the mounts! A cable throttle from an MS112 Crown or MA70 Supra should sort you out. ^^What dnegative said ^^

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!