Thread: Would a 3SGE Celica engine fit 1991 MR2 SW20 Japanese import?

Forum Member

Default Would a 3SGE Celica engine fit 1991 MR2 SW20 Japanese import?

Hello everyone, my first post here. My gf got a 91 MR2 3SGE non turbo, she ran out of oil and blew the motor. This MR2 is Japanese import, I live in Canada, hard to find the right engine, we have 5SFE engine North America models. I have searched the forum, some ppl said the only difference is ECM, wiring harness, intake, exhaust manifold and a few things. Would it fit her MR2 as long as I switch all the old parts over? I found two 3SGE here, no luck finding MR2 3SGE. Thanks in advance Alex

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

Default Re: Would a 3SGE Celica engine fit 1991 MR2 SW20 Japanese import?

Alex,

As long as you can find a gen2 3sge, you can just swap over the wiring loom to the mr2 one. If you can't and have to use the 5sf, you'll have to swap the loom & ecu & do some rewiring. go the 3sge option - much easier

Toby

Forum Member

Hi Toby, Thanks for your quick reply. I found a couple Celica 3SGE here, basically I can use the MR2 old parts and quick swap, correct? My GF did a research, she said the Celica 3sge has less horsepower compared to SW20 3sge, is that true? As far as I know the block and head are the same, the difference is fuel management, intake and exhaust etc, not sure about that. Thanks Alex

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

just make sure it looks the same year or model as the mr2 1 and not out of a st165 model ,you need the engine out of a st185 celica or later. st202 is the gen 3 motor etc

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

The ge has the same hp regardless of celica or mr2 providing your comparing engines of the same year. (You dont want one from a st162 celica 85-89)

90-93 ge had 160hp
    94-98 non vvti had 180 autos supposedly have 170.

Obv a gen2 from a 90-93 would be easiest as you should be able to hunt down the correct mr2 3sge loom to wire it up.(oops misread and thought you had a 5s, but as you alrwady have a 3s then yeh. Just get another gen2 3sge from a celica and swap as Z ute said.)
    Last edited by jonathan yee; 12-01-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Alex, grab a Celica 3S-GE from a car as late as your MR2, no earlier.

Sit the two engines side by side and start swapping bits over so that you have all the MR2 bits on that Celica engine. This includes intake manifold throttle body and every conceivable electrical probe/sender etc.

Having done this when you put the engine in the MR2 and connect it to the MR2 ECU it will actually start and run!

Many foolish people assume that all the sensors etc are the same, they are not, some having different voltage needs and some having different resistance values. Use the Celica items at your peril and expect to be sitting around for months scratching your head wondering why the engine will not start and run.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Trouble guys is that we never got 2nd gen 3S-GE in north-america, neither in the celica or MR2 so all he has acces to is 3S-Ge out of an ST162. After 1990 all we got was either 5S-FE or 3S-GTE.
    KE20 1974 <- Sold -> Thread
    AE95 1990 <- 4A-GZE daily driven wagon...

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Check your import yards mate, not the local breakers. You even have a better supply of Japanese engines than we do, and that is saying something.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!