Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2gr-fe Aurion engine into a MX5

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 2gr-fe Aurion engine into a MX5

Hello. I am looking for information about using the Aurion 3.5 Litre V6 in a rear wheel drive platform. I would like to know of other peoples conversions and how they went with engine mounts etc.

Basically I am using a 2GR-FE with an adaptor plate from the USA to suit a LS/small block chev bellhousing, then a Tremec TR6060 six speed to a R32 Skyline diff centre and axles. I have modified Skyline drive flanges to fit the MX5 rear hubs so I have a 5x114.3 stud pattern. The track is remarkably close to the original MX5 track. I have some 18" x 8.5 SSR Professors for the rear. For the front I have MX5 uprights with RX7 hubs. The front wheels are 18x10" SSR Professors. I willl get the rears widened so they have some decent dish. I hope to run the engine with an Adaptronic E1280.

I did some 2GR searches but can find much information on them in Australia, when they are in other cars. I did find an offroad racer using one with aftermarket rods and pistons, ported heads, stock cams and twin turbos making 600kw!!!

I would seriously be happy with over 300 killer wasps. I am going to make new front and rear cradles with longer A arms etc. I would like to try to use the Yaris electric power steering.
    This is for competition use so any mods dont have to be passed for rego. I am also looking for advice on dry sumping the engine.

Thanks
    Last edited by Xauterus; 03-01-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Default Re: 2gr-fe Aurion engine into a MX5

I can't offer any advice, (sorry) but I sure would like to see pics of this thing.. (best of luck!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

NICE VIBE Backyard Mechanic marvis's Avatar

Don't do that.

Dont do what????

I will post some pictures up after I rediscover my garage! I am having a clean out so I can have a decent workspace. I just picked up the six speed today and the the motor, adaptor and front work wheels are on their way.

I am not sure how I am going to mount the starter motor. The Aurion has it mounted on the bellhousing and doesnt have a cutout on the engine like a 1GR has. Might have to recess the starter into the v8 bellhousing.

no backyard Domestic Engineer japlish's Avatar

thats what the guy with one in his ae86 did, had to chop a hunk outa the bellhousing to fit it, dont know much else about his swap as he's never shown pics of the driveline........i wish he did as im trying to do this swap too!

where does this plate come from you speak of??

P.S dont listen to marvis lol.
    Destroyer of 'Drop Forged' spanners

http://www.lceperformance.com/Trans-...-p/1033039.htm

Just gives you a LS bolt pattern to bolt a V8 GM box to the engine. I am using a gearbos out of a VE, its a six speed. Rated to 700 lb-ft torque. Its a gearbox that is easy to get parts for and I can upgrade the ratios later.

1gr is different to 2gr....

Yes it is slightly different, I hoping that it is adaptable. I have to wait a few weeks for the adaptor to arrive.

I still have that roasted 2grfe if you need it to dummy fit etc, i wont need it for a while

Cool I will have to have a look once the adaptor comes in. Might need to modify it and make a few to suit the 2gr

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

interesting conversion... certainly unique!!

fyi I was going to do a 2gr into is200 but after I did the sums I broke it up & sold everything off. (far cheaper to buy an is250 & lightly modify it)

the setup I was going to use utilised a rebuilt 3sge mr2 reverse mount starter motor (rebuilt) with the reverse starter motor mount section cut off the s54 gearbox - this I was going to graft into the side of altezza bellhousing much like the ae86 one. (fyi there are Toyota bellhousings & gearboxes that will work on the 2gr - you don't have to use the gm adaptor & box)

I still have the starter & the gearbox mounting section. $100 plus post & its yours (somewhat less than it cost me)

oh - you might want to look at 1gr or 4gr rwd sumps, as the aurion sump won't be any good to you in the mx5

& inlet manifold can be cut, rotated & plastic glued - I found out what sort of plastic it was made out of & there is an adhesive available to suit it

Toby 0437665518

i found this:

these specs are from the book:
    intake duration: 254*
    exhaust duration: 244*

actual lift on the cam i have: 6.35mm lift

the rocker ratio was a little difficult to measure, but my best guess is 1.55 +/- .02

this makes the actual valve lift somewhere between 9.72mm and 9.97mm

the good news for people wanting to modify these motors is the base circle size. it is a large 37.9mm and you would not run into rocker interference until you got down to a 29mm base circle. this pretty much means you can regrind these cams to any profile you want.

if you look here: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_200...AGKA_1104.html

you'll notice that the cams ride in their own holder that can probably be lowered a few thousands to take up the slop from the smaller base circles. as long as the timing chain tension er can make up the difference and the cams can be re-timed. there are five different dowel pin locations on the cams, i suspect this would allow for a significant freedom in re-timing.

as for the pistons, they are made by Mahle, the connecting rods (center to center) are 147mm long, giving a 1.77:1 rod ratio.

the rods are H shaped with the cross-sectional area at the smallest point being 202mm^2 (about 0.31 square inches)

the crank bearing OD appears to not be metric, it is 2.2" exactly or 55.88mm this means undersize bearings can probably be found if you wanted to add a bit of stroke to the motor. this is probably pointless though since i beleive a 1GR crank would fit and take you from 84mm stroke to 95mm stroke (and bring the rod ratio down to 1.55:1)

Thanks for all the information. I know that there are other toyota bellhousings that can be used, but then I still needed a strong gearbox. Quite a few guys are using the tremec boxes behind 1uz's etc. I could have looked at r154 but they are getting pretty old now and I would still need to adapt the box on. The tremec has good aftermarket support so I can upgrade the ratios later and they are rated to 700lb-ft of torque. The GM box cost me $1500. There are also loads of different sifter positions available for the tremec. I knew it would fit the trans tunnel as they use this box in the monster Miatas.

It is definitely going to be interesting mounting the starter motor. I may eventually use a Quicktime bellhousing so I have a decent scatter shield. If I have a steel bellhousing it should be much easier to modify.

As you can see its early days...

Quote Originally Posted by .T. View Post
    interesting conversion... certainly unique!!

fyi I was going to do a 2gr into is200 but after I did the sums I broke it up & sold everything off. (far cheaper to buy an is250 & lightly modify it)

the setup I was going to use utilised a rebuilt 3sge mr2 reverse mount starter motor (rebuilt) with the reverse starter motor mount section cut off the s54 gearbox - this I was going to graft into the side of altezza bellhousing much like the ae86 one. (fyi there are Toyota bellhousings & gearboxes that will work on the 2gr - you don't have to use the gm adaptor & box)

I still have the starter & the gearbox mounting section. $100 plus post & its yours (somewhat less than it cost me)

oh - you might want to look at 1gr or 4gr rwd sumps, as the aurion sump won't be any good to you in the mx5

& inlet manifold can be cut, rotated & plastic glued - I found out what sort of plastic it was made out of & there is an adhesive available to suit it

Toby 0437665518
    Have you got any pictures of that starter adapter?