Thread: Help with OEM boost gauge wiring

I have a pet Backyard Mechanic Gibbon's Avatar

Question Help with OEM boost gauge wiring

Hello

So I now have this installed in my MA61

It's all working except for the boost gauge. Given I have a 1J - I thought it would be good to get it working. This was donated, and I've been struggling to figure out how to get them to work.

There are three pins inside the connector. If I earth the middle pin, and connect the output from the boost gauge to the pin that seems to be the "signal" pin, I get the needle on the gauge to assume the "ready" position ( seen in the photo above). Connecting 5v to the remaining pin, and when driving on or off boost, the needle doesn't change.

I have the vacuum hose t-ed off the same one that goes to the existing 1J boost sensor.

I have put a multimeter on the "signal" pin, and put some vacuum on the vacuum hose (ie: sucking on it) - the voltage only changes by less than a tenth of a volt.

Any pointers on how to get this working - if it even will - would be fantastic.

Thanks
    wget -r http://www.toymods.net | grep -i "1jz MA61"
    1 Result found:
    Gibbons MA61 + 1JZ

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Help with OEM boost gauge wiring

sure you have the correct pins for the sensor and or the correct sensor for that gauge? sounds like your doing it all right unless the sensor or gauge is fingered

I have a pet Backyard Mechanic Gibbon's Avatar

Default Re: Help with OEM boost gauge wiring

I'm pretty sure I have the right signal wire from the sensor to the gauge. I've put in a generic 3bar MAP sensor, which also seems to be not working properly.

Does anyone know what the input voltage would be for a MA63 boost gauge - would it be expecting a range from 0 to 12v, or, as the MAP sensor has a 5v input, would the gauge be expecting between 0 and 5v?

The generic sensor, as well as the Toyota one above are both 5v units.

Would the input for the gauge have come from the ECU perhaps?
    wget -r http://www.toymods.net | grep -i "1jz MA61"
    1 Result found:
    Gibbons MA61 + 1JZ