Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BHG # 8 Information wanted on easy non turbo engine swap in a 1990 MX83 please

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default BHG # 8 Information wanted on easy non turbo engine swap in a 1990 MX83 please

Hi everyone.
    I read some info on wikipedia, Google and here about 7MGE and later engines (1JZ-GE etc.) I have searched here but can't find exactly what I need.

Is there a later engine NON turbo that is an easy conversion as I am not a young bloke anymore but I am sick of the BHG scenario, Different head gaskets have been used each time, the engine removed and decked, head services and machining etc. etc. It blows at number 5-6 every time and it cost more at each event.
    The car is a 10/1990 built model currently running LPG/petrol but I can give up the LPG for engine reliability. I live in Adelaide if there is somewhere anyone knows of to obtain the donor engine or do a conversion.

Is the 1JZ-GE a turbo or not?
    Cheers

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Default Re: BHG # 8 Information wanted on easy non turbo engine swap in a 1990 MX83 please

Put a 2JZGE in it, 3000cc like the 7MGE and its non turbo.
    You can pick them up for $800~ if you look around, most of them will come with an auto and wiring.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: BHG # 8 Information wanted on easy non turbo engine swap in a 1990 MX83 please

Hi
    The reason 7 m,s keep blowing head gaskets is the heads have all gone soft and machine shops often will pass them with a hardness of 75 brinell .
    For a 7 M no less than 100 brinell , machined block and head with a stock head gasket , then retention it after 5000 Klm and it will last 200 000 Klm . You do need to check for cracks between the head bolt holes and water jackets too.
    Dave

Thanks Dave

I will check that the head place know these details but I haven't authorized any work yet till I find out about engine swap options. $1600 last time!

Thanks dnegative,

Can I not use my automatic trans (rebuilt 2 years back)
    Any information on the wiring required?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

You should be able to, you will just need a JZ bellhousing (not that expensive, I threw mine out)

I agree with the 2jzge. I went from 5me to 2jzge and it was very simple it did help a lot that it came with the right sump and engine mounts.
    You will need to make some engine mounts, probably find a front sump but im not too sure about that for an MX83, make a y pipe for the exhaust, flywheel and clutch, bellhousing.

The wiring was quite simple after you get your head around it also, Idk if MX83 have engine dildo shocks but you may have to cut that off also. probs get away with your 7mgte radiator and fuel pump. Also I've been giving my 2jzge hell for the last year and it still loves it.

Try and get a MK4 supra 2jzge + w58 package if you can as this will save you time and money chasing up bellhousings and flywheels and then you can sell the w58 for $500.

Anyway have fun

Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar

I also am in agreeance that the 2JZ is the best option if you ditch the 7M.

It's been a while but from memory the Supra 2JZ's do need a sump conversion and sourcing this will be the hardest bit because they are not so common. I think a JZ from an Aristo or something is what you need.

JZ Auto bellhousing will mate up with your current auto.
    meh...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

if you hunt on some us forums there is info on running a 2jzge on 7mge wiring. could be an idea.

Thanks mic*

The information I have found so far is the Aristo or Lexus IS300/GS300 have the right sump.

Thanks 1G-GTE
    Information on the wiring and what ECU and AFM to use will be good. I want to stay with my A340E auto as it was rebuilt in 2010 and my left leg is crook since having a stroke.

Thanks for the information so far.
    The head went in and passed the hardness test so it is getting resurfaced and pressure tested. The head place said only use the OEM Toyota gasket and also Toyota coolant!

The OEM gasket has been revised several times, retail is $186 but Payen was $190, ACL $209 and Permaseal $141,

Contacted Tech standards in S.A. and they were very helpfull and said the 2JZGE was only 8Kw more power so I need to fill out an application to modify paperwork then get a roadworthy ($206).

So I will throw the head back on and shop round for the front sump 2JZGE engine and other parts. Hopefully I can find the wiring info and what parts of what loom I need.
    Last edited by ujw296; 10-10-2013 at 02:11 PM.

U can prob run the 7m auto but u need to check how the solenoids work on a 2j and then your 7m auto
    Pretty sure they will be slightly different
    Also u will prob need to mod the rear of the 7m auto to have the correct speed sensors and signals to suit the 2j ecu
    Sounds easy but can be a pain in the sass
    2j ecu sits in front left engine bay and Cressida ecu sits under dash so wiring is abit harder than normal
    Most of these also have security in the ecu so u end to get the key and amplifier for the key of same car
    Or u need ecu re flashed

So might be worth finding how they ran the 7m loom and 7m ecu to run the 2j
    And how good it went

It will at least cost you 3000 to 6000 grand I recon depending what you can do yourself or what u pay someone to do it

Read this or stuff like it & everything you can about that engine. Repeat. There IS a reason for every failure if it hasn't seriously overheated or a race engine.
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/ic697.htm
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/ic697.htm

That 'soft head' stuff is complete BS in my opinion!!!!!
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

I don't know a 7M from a hole in the ground, but I have read many
    times that re-torquing the head is the key to solving the BHG blues

Cheers... jondee86