Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BHG # 8 Information wanted on easy non turbo engine swap in a 1990 MX83 please

Not in the diner Alf! Conversion King RyleyMA61's Avatar

Default Re: BHG # 8 Information wanted on easy non turbo engine swap in a 1990 MX83 please

Quote Originally Posted by cambelt View Post
    Hi
    The reason 7 m,s keep blowing head gaskets is the heads have all gone soft and machine shops often will pass them with a hardness of 75 brinell .
    For a 7 M no less than 100 brinell , machined block and head with a stock head gasket , then retention it after 5000 Klm and it will last 200 000 Klm . You do need to check for cracks between the head bolt holes and water jackets too.
    Dave
    This 100%

My 7M did 3, and on the third, I did all this with a full rebuild. It's completely bulletproof now.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: BHG # 8 Information wanted on easy non turbo engine swap in a 1990 MX83 please

Hi ujw
    What was the hardness of your head they tested ?
    Dave

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

I did my Cressie about 2yrs ago.I got a monotorque gasket for memory,machined out the blank for the rear water jacket at the back of the head and torqued it to 70 ft/lbs and haven't had a problem.
    Cheers Brett.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Hi Dave
    The gauge they use is from ACL and doesn't use a numerical reference. Depending on where a ball bearing bounces against a scale in a tube it is either good or not. Mine was 50% up into the good range.

In regard to the 2JZ-GE I have been told:

a) I need a 2JZ bellhousing to use my auto.
    b) The solenoids and speed sensing will PROBABLY be different.
    c) The 2JZ-GE engine can be picked up with an auto and ECU for $800~
    d) I will need the original key and amplifier to the car/ECU or will need the ECU flashed.
    e) The conversion will cost $3000-$6000.

Can anyone help that HAS done the conversion and still has functioning Air con, cruise control etc?

I took my ac out. my conversion cost $2800 including s13 radiator, new water pump and timing belt, new plugs $20 each x 6.

I think your best bet is to get a 2jzge with an auto attached and slap the whole thing in then run your 2jzge off the 2jzge loom. This way you have complete control over your auto box it will make wiring simple, all you will need to add is drive shaft mods. but idk how hard it is to run a different engine with an auto so that could all be wrong haha

Thanks 1G-GTE

That sounds like a better option.