Thread: Rebuilding a 3tgte motor

Forum Member

Default Rebuilding a 3tgte motor

Hello ladies and gents, I am aiming to rebuild my 3tgte as it has a drama in one of the cylinders and it looks like rings.

Going for a pretty solid rebuild with forged pistons (not that expensive anymore) eagle rods, bored out 89mm , high volume oil pump etc etc....

Prob just run the standard 3tgte head, I would love to change it over to 2tg and go back to single spark but it its too much screwing around with the computer and everything...

So if anyone has any suggestions or info about parts they would use, parts to avoid, general info that would be great as well as I am open to suggestions and there seems to be plenty of knowledgeable folk in these parts.

So.. im looking pretty good for finding pistons, rings, bearings and even chain tensioners etc, water pump.. What i need to find is where to get:

3tgte timing chains
    oversize 89mm head gasket

So would love to hear what sort of parts you guys have used in your rebuilds and where you sourced them from and how your motors turned out.

Im looking to set it up with high low boost switch to run about 18/20 psi on high boost

Thanks,

Stu

Forum Member

Default Re: Rebuilding a 3tgte motor

And what you did for head studs or head bolts as well?

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

Check this thread, has lots of info:
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...-gte-tech.html

cheers.
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

nuts Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by stu0083 View Post
    And what you did for head studs or head bolts as well?
    search the 3tgte tech thread for the mitsi head stud modification. it requires the 2tg/3tg head bolt pedestals machined shorter to match the length of the arp head studs.
    Why are you going for 89mm bore with boost? seems to be pretty well documented that over boring to 89mm and forcing boost into it is asking for split bores. Do that if building 3T-GE.
    High volume oil pump.. do you mean a replacement 3tgte pump? aka a high flow 2tg pump from aftermarket suppliers.
    Lower chain is same as 2t/3t pushrod. upper chain same as 2tg.

imo the twinspark is a better design. unfortunately toyota gave the 3tgte swirl port intake runners for better fuel efficiency. otherwise it'd be superior to oem 2tg heads. *wishes for twinspark 2tg race head or 4tgte TTE head*
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20