Thread: 2T vs 3T Oil Filters

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default 2T vs 3T Oil Filters

Can anyone confirm they are the same? My supplier only has a listing for 2T, and I HAVE to do an oil change this weekend!
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default Re: 2T vs 3T Oil Filters

Just spoke to Toyota, there are a few different types of 3Ts??? Anyone got a part number for one?
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice tin can's Avatar

oil filter for
    3tc is 90915-yzzd2
    2tc is 90915-yzzd2
    and looks to be the same for tg as well even 3tgte

thanks jess
    im not a Mechanic im a parts interperter

current project: ke70 with 3tet
    now with 114kw on 10psi

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

yes they are the same
    the ryco part number is the same.
    they are quite expensive tho ($17)
    however a ford z9 will fit in its place if you have the room.

back into it Chief Engine Builder

if you have the room there are plenty of filters with the same oring diameter and thread size! just look at the ryco book in repco or such. toyota make a good filter do you can use the ryco book as a guide and find one the similar and then just cross that over to toyota filters!

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

Ryco Z89A, Z9 and Z10 should all fit, and in my opinion are just as good as the Toyota version.
    Just change it regularly, what ever you use. Have you ever heard someone say they had a bad experiance or lost performance by changing the oil filter too often?
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

back into it Chief Engine Builder

its not performance it the longevity of the engine! and toyota filters are better than ryco.

Each to their own, I just prefer the Ryco. I've never had any problems using their products, although I havn't had troubles with Genuine either. So I choose to save a few bucks. I also cant "prove" one to be better than the other so can't justify it.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Rinmax,

Ryco make a great quality product but I personnaly wouldn't consider running anything other than a Genuine Toyota Filter on my 2TG or 3T-GTE.

If you feel inclined you can try this yourself.

Change your oil & Filter, Drive. Leave overnight. Cold start the next morning and time how long you can hear the timing chain rattle. Then monitor oil pressure at idle.

Repeat with Genuine Toyota Filter and never use anything else again !

Now if you have a 3T-GTE the reasoning is slightly different. Due to the increased oil pressure I personnaly know of 3 people who have had high pressure oil leaks due to failures at the oil filter, Especially on a fresh engine. Not one of them have had a problem after switching to Toyota Genuine.

From a visial perspective you will notice the Toyota filter is physically much smaller than the Ryco listing. Bigger Filter, takes more oil to fill, takes longer to acheive the correct engine oil pressure. I'd rather spend an extra couple of dollars than subject my engines to low oil pressure.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Point taken, each to their own.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

I know many years ago Ryco were doing some work with their filters to try and minimise costs and they had issues with filters emptying overnight. I had a VH at the time this was happening and it used to rattle its arse off - especially with the auto choke starting the car at 3000rpm each morning, they not long changed after this to stop this from happening.

I normally use original Holden filters on my VN, as they are cheaper than the Ryco ones believe it or not - never had a problem in all the years I've had VN's as shit as they are. My 2T always had a Ryco filter (Z89A) and never had any issues with them either - although they're binned after 5000km anyway.

Good info though.

Junior Member Grease Monkey BigBadBenny's Avatar

Deffinatly each to their own,
    Ryco were great for a long time until about 5 years ago, when the changed valves and it just didn't quiet work for them. They have since rectiffied this problem and would prefer to use it over a genuine filter. stay away from very cheap filters, their flow design is not great. Replace oil and filter every 5K and it will be happy days onwards.
    Personaly I only use gen filters if the car is still under warrenty, then it's aftermarket.
    Regards
    Benny