Thread: 1976 Hilux 12R to 18R conversion

Forum Member

Default 1976 Hilux 12R to 18R conversion

Hey all,

I've got a 1976, single cab, RWD Hilux that i'm getting around in at the moment. I'm finding the 12R a little soft so I've been looking into doing a 18R conversion. I've heard that the 12R and 18R will both link up to the same gearbox as I want to keep the 4 speed column shift (It's just a cool touch). I've also heard that fabricating new engine mounts shouldn't be a huge job.

I'm also looking into replacing the drum brakes on the front with some disk brakes.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these conversions? Will it be as easy as i'm expecting or are there some things i'm missing? Any thoughts, suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.Attachment 16931

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 1976 Hilux 12R to 18R conversion

OK a month after your post.. If memory serves correct the 12R is a 1.6 litre engine and 18R as which is in my RN41 is a 2 litre so you should be looking at a direct bolt in. As for the disc brake conversion if you have the IFS front that again should be a direct bolt in using some later model parts and don't forget a brake booster lest you want one leg bigger than the other
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Forum Member

Sorry for bumping, thread was pretty close to top anyhow and there isn't any info on the actual swap so I'm contributing.

I have an RN40 Hilux, stock 12R 4 speed column. 12R is a 1.6L OHV engine FYI.
    I swapped it to an 18R which is a 2L OHC engine. Mine has extractors, exhaust and a Weber 32/36 DGAV too.
    I thought the swap would be a bolt in, ended up the gearbox and tail shaft lined up nicely, engine mounts did not. I cut the mounts off the chassis, shortened them, modified them a little and moved them back about 2". Also oil pressure switch is on the opposite side of the engine. Real easy swap, so long as you have access to cutting and welding gear.

As far as I'm aware, there are different versions of the engines/mounts, considering Celicas, Hiaces, Coronas and even RX3* Cressidas I think. So with the right mounts and engine block, you might bolt it straight in. Mine didn't, but no big deal.

I don't think the factory W40 column shift will bolt up to the 18R block, but not 100% sure. Have spare of both at home, I can check if really needed.

Also have disc front end, knuckles, rotors and calipers at home to go on from an RN41, but need a rebuild first, will let you know how that goes!

Cody

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

ive done the disc conversion easiest thing ever just unbolt old and bolt new its direct fit then I put ba xr6 rotors and vt commo twin pot calipers on was a good upgrage
    RIP st141 died doing what it loved http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
    1ggte hilux massive 143rwkw http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...724&highlight=
    corolla sportivo daily LIFT

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

*subscribed*

hey guys,

I am also doing this conversion... 12r to 18rg. i also want to keep the coloumn shift so any help on this swap from people in the know would be very handy!!

i have done the RN40 disc Brake swap. so easy! made a big difference to the stopping performance!

looking forward to any further nudges to this thread!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Kid Seeks View Post
    *subscribed*

hey guys,

I am also doing this conversion... 12r to 18rg. i also want to keep the coloumn shift so any help on this swap from people in the know would be very handy!!
    I really wouldn't want to keep the column shift if you're going for an RG, expect the extra torque might be an issue. Also the linkages for those old selectors get really flogged out over time. I'd go a five speed floor shift for sure, be a bit stronger and you'll definitely have more fun with the RG! My RG is sitting downstairs waiting to go in. (:

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Cody323 View Post
    I really wouldn't want to keep the column shift if you're going for an RG, expect the extra torque might be an issue. Also the linkages for those old selectors get really flogged out over time. I'd go a five speed floor shift for sure, be a bit stronger and you'll definitely have more fun with the RG! My RG is sitting downstairs waiting to go in. (:
    To back you up my 81 model with 18R, W58 5speed being used for a daily commute is a little hungry on the juice (Roll on finishing the current UZ Surf build). In it's original form with the 18r and 4 speed coloumn shift and stock 4.88 diff my god unloaded you got that think above 80 clicks and you watched the fuel gauge go down rapidly. A Load on and even worse. In her current form with the 18R (Stock), W58 and 4.3 diff (with a good tune) she goes like the clappers yet still eats gas like a V8. Now in my case a V8 is the long term plan for this one
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale