Thread: Anyone done a 22r efi conversion in a Hilux?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice sexybackra28's Avatar

Default Anyone done a 22r efi conversion in a Hilux?

I have a 93 Single cab hilux with a 22r motor in it, i wanted to convert it to efi and I've seen heaps of people have done it on american forums.

So i bought a intake manifold off a 22re corona and ripped my carb and manifold out, everyone has posted so far that its an easy bolt on job however the back of my efi intake manifold is hitting on my break reservoir and i cant seem to get it to line up around it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also I had to rip the old cam driven fuel pump out because it was in the way, thinking of just getting a plate made up to fit over it?

If anyone in victoria has one that they've converted be awesome if you could send through some photos or if i could come check it out.

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone done a 22r efi conversion in a Hilux?

It is a little more involved than a bolt in swap.

You'll need to convert your fuel system as a start to efi and use an efi fuel pump etc (higher pressure) and possibly put a return line to your fuel tank - which might need some efi mods itself.

Plus there is the question of what computer you are using - did you get the wiring and AFM and factory computer from the donor car?

As far as block off plates go you can them from ebay or from LC engineering. Quite a few places actually - mostly American as they still love these motors.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Anyone done a 22r efi conversion in a Hilux?

seriously dont waste your time, do a search on these forums and u will see of the past 10 years
    alot fo people have problems running the 22re properly with the std ecu and air flw meter etc etc

they are a crap efi system and i have not heard of one that runs perfect and good on fuel and ok power
    its a waste of money