Thread: 1990 corolla seca sx conversion

Forum Member

Default 1990 corolla seca sx conversion

Hi guys I've got a 1990 corolla seca sx with the 4age in looking for advice on the best engine to convert to keeping in mind I'm kinda new to this sorry

Junior Member Grease Monkey MattC's Avatar

Default Re: 1990 corolla seca sx conversion

More info needed. First and foremost, what's your budget? How much of the work are you able/willing to do yourself? What are you planning on doing with the car- is it just a tough street car or do you want to race it?
    Happiness is a warm Celica

Forum Member

Looking to do alot of the work myself, to be over time project so bugget isnt set nut around $10k willing to spend, just a street car.

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

so do you want to keep the 4ag? go supercharged or turbo? or something else?

"horse" has a beams 3sge conversion for sale that with a small amount of work would fit into the seca quite well.

Toby

Junior Member Grease Monkey MattC's Avatar

$10k will build you a killer 4A, leave change for suspension brakes and wheels, and save you the trouble of doing a conversion at all. Or as T says you'll wedge a BEAMS in with little hassle. If you really want something left-of-centre though, measure up a 2GR V6 from an Aurion, if you can squeeze one of them between the firewall and the grill you'll have a pretty mean little ride.
    Happiness is a warm Celica

Junior Member Grease Monkey

You could talk to Barry(Bazda) from Manon race Products about building an engine for you. He builds 4ag's to over 300kw.

Forum Member

This all sounds good lol but ultimately I want to do a lot of the work myself so I can learn as much as I can so I was thinking a 20 valve and putting a turbo and inter cooler setup so I'm not going too over my head unless I can find something better with not to much hassle for the install

Forum Member

I've done a little bit of research on the
    3 Sge 5th gen and I noticed its a north east configuration and the 4 age is a east west is it hard to convert the engine bay to north west ?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

North east will give you a really funny driveshaft angle. Maybe North South will be better. The reason I suggested Bazda is that if you want to do it yourself he can also sell you the parts needed to get the power you want. He has really pushed the limits of 4ag performance. If you go a 20v then get the Black top head and itb's then look at using a 7a block with Bazdas stroker kit to make a 9ag. He has options for naturally aspirated or turbo. Then you also have to consider what gearbox you will need to use and the clutch. Then you will need to upgrade the brakes and suspension to cope.

Converting a 5th gen to east west is a big project. Even just fitting a east west 3sg to a corolla is a massive task. Much better to go the 300+ kw turbo 7age or 9age.

http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/

http://austarletclub.com/index.php?/...gte-20v-500hp/
    Last edited by Xauterus; 26-08-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

ae92 4agze map base setup - then either upgrade the supercharger, or fit a turbo. pretty easy. superstrut brake setup will do the brakes nicely.
    prob is 4agze frontcuts are getting rare and expensive..

fitting a fwd beams 3sge (gen4) into a seca will be pretty easy. I fitted one into an aw11 & it was not too difficult to do at all.