Thread: coil packs with built in ignitiers....

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default coil packs with built in ignitiers....

hey all. after reading whatthe's post bout using ls1 coilpacks, it got me thinking/

i am going to use these on my engine (4agze). i already have a microtech LT10s and the
    X4 igntion box. i just had a thought, is it still safe to use these coils even though they have an igniter biult in? i was going to use the external igniter supplied, will this fry anything?

ps, i can supply the wiring digram and connector pics for these coil packs if anyone needs em. (to determine terminals and wiring colours)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Default Re: coil packs with built in ignitiers....

I'm confused. Are you saying you want to know if it's alright to run them how they are with the built in ignitor or that you want to run your ignitor also? If you have an external ignitor you don't need it.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

yeah, what i mean is i was going to use the external igniter, but then i realised that the coils already had one built in.

do i just wire the coils straight to the microtech now? the only problem is that there isnt enough outputs to run 4 coils straight from the ECU, thats why i got the X4 box.....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

the x4 box is just 4 transitors in a box.
    It uses the 4 ignition outputs from the ecu which are the 4 wires going into the x4 box from the microtech.

Connecting these 4 wires from microtech to the ignitors in the coils should work.

If you go through the x4 box first the output from the x4 box will be a negative (ground) pulse. You need to check what signal the ignitors in the coils needs to fire Ie 12v pulse or a ground pulse.